I'm trying to get some advice on my first trip to Europe this upcoming summer. I'd be leaving June 11, with a flight landing in Rome on the 12th around noon. Here's my proposed itinerary from there:
June 12 - Enjoy the day in Rome, maybe see some of the things such as the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. Otherwise, just sightsee some and people watch after a long flight.
June 13 - Do the tour essentially, mainly the Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon.
June 14 - Vatican trip, leave for Cinque Terre area in evening (it's about a 4 hour train ride I've been told, arrive late)
June 15 - Spend the day at Cinque Terre, walking the path, and possibly a boat tour
June 16 - Leave early and go to Florence, spend day there, just sight seeing and such
June 17 - Spend morning going to see famous sights, leave after lunch in rental car to go to see some of Tuscany. Planning to stay at a bed and breakfast somewhere in the Greve region (but any suggestions are appreciated)
June 18 - Return car to Florence in early evening, take train to Venice
June 19 and 20 - Sightsee in Venice
June 21 - Leave early to go to Lake region of Italy (arrive at Lake Como around noon)
June 22 - Leave Como for Zurich early, spend afternoon and evening around Zurich
Then return home on June 23.
My biggest concerns are whether or not I'm trying to fit too much into one trip. I'm going with my girlfriend, and I like history while she enjoys the people watching. I'd really like to go to the Cinque Terre area at some point, but I'd be most ready to take it out over Venice, Florence, or Rome. Also, is the lake region in Italy worth just a day? Or should I just plan to go on in to Switzerland and see Lucerne?
Finally, I'm planning on doing Point to Point tickets now for the rail because they seem cheaper. Is that the best idea.
Any advice on places to stay and things to do are greatly appreciated. It's my first time heading over to Europe after years of wanting to go, so I'll take any help I can get.
10 Day Trip starting in Rome, ending in Zurich
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Peggy does Deutschland...
- 2 Day trip from Barcelona? Single female
- 3 Northern Italy for Nature Lovers/Crowd Haters
- 4 20 year-old female planning solo Europe trip -- advice??
- 5 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 6 2 full days in Paris
- 7 Paris Markets for a 5 Course Meal
- 8 July in The Mezzogiorno – 3 weeks in Southern Italy: Amalfi Coast & Puglia
- 9 Terrorism in Europe
- 10 Cinque Terre v Tuscany
- 11 Planning a trip to Northern Italy/Lake Como
- 12 Advice for 6 nights 7 Days in Switzerland
- 13 Greece - Sailing in Santorini
- 14 Hiking the Gap of Dunloe
- 15 Wernigerode and The Harz - Where to base oneself?
- 16 Need suggestions for Sienna and Orvieto
- 17 Bamberg and Environs - 9 nights
- 18 Poland (Krakow)/ Prague from Leipzig
- 19 Hotel in Lake Garda or Desenzano del Gard
- 20 Which town to choose for lodging in Cinque Terre
- 21 Cinque Terre - which town to stay in & suggest a hotel?
- 22 Spain and Portugal Trip Help
- 23 Flight into London out Frankfurt (stop Paris, Amsterdam Prague)?
- 24 Night Train - Need help
- 25 White Villages base?