I'm trying to get some advice on my first trip to Europe this upcoming summer. I'd be leaving June 11, with a flight landing in Rome on the 12th around noon. Here's my proposed itinerary from there:
June 12 - Enjoy the day in Rome, maybe see some of the things such as the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. Otherwise, just sightsee some and people watch after a long flight.
June 13 - Do the tour essentially, mainly the Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon.
June 14 - Vatican trip, leave for Cinque Terre area in evening (it's about a 4 hour train ride I've been told, arrive late)
June 15 - Spend the day at Cinque Terre, walking the path, and possibly a boat tour
June 16 - Leave early and go to Florence, spend day there, just sight seeing and such
June 17 - Spend morning going to see famous sights, leave after lunch in rental car to go to see some of Tuscany. Planning to stay at a bed and breakfast somewhere in the Greve region (but any suggestions are appreciated)
June 18 - Return car to Florence in early evening, take train to Venice
June 19 and 20 - Sightsee in Venice
June 21 - Leave early to go to Lake region of Italy (arrive at Lake Como around noon)
June 22 - Leave Como for Zurich early, spend afternoon and evening around Zurich
Then return home on June 23.
My biggest concerns are whether or not I'm trying to fit too much into one trip. I'm going with my girlfriend, and I like history while she enjoys the people watching. I'd really like to go to the Cinque Terre area at some point, but I'd be most ready to take it out over Venice, Florence, or Rome. Also, is the lake region in Italy worth just a day? Or should I just plan to go on in to Switzerland and see Lucerne?
Finally, I'm planning on doing Point to Point tickets now for the rail because they seem cheaper. Is that the best idea.
Any advice on places to stay and things to do are greatly appreciated. It's my first time heading over to Europe after years of wanting to go, so I'll take any help I can get.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Vacation
- 2 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 3 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 4 Italian Honeymoon - But How!?!?
- 5 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 6 First time in London
- 7 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 8 No Periods in British Written English!
- 9 Barcelona appartment is it a good location ?
- 10 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 11 3 weeks in Central/Eastern Europe
- 12 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 13 Seville- Ronda drive time
- 14 Tour fron Malaga to Allehambra
- 15 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 16 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 17 Audio Walking Tour in London
- 18 One more day in Athens, any suggestions?
- 19 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 20 Aparthotel Adagio Paris XV feedback
- 21 Summer in Swiss Alps and Italian Lakes
- 22 Love buying beauty products to take back home? Here are the ones to avoid!
- 23 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 24 Day trips around Vienna
- 25 Fine-tuning Requested: Naxos, Santorini, Athens Itinerary