I'm trying to get some advice on my first trip to Europe this upcoming summer. I'd be leaving June 11, with a flight landing in Rome on the 12th around noon. Here's my proposed itinerary from there:
June 12 - Enjoy the day in Rome, maybe see some of the things such as the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. Otherwise, just sightsee some and people watch after a long flight.
June 13 - Do the tour essentially, mainly the Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon.
June 14 - Vatican trip, leave for Cinque Terre area in evening (it's about a 4 hour train ride I've been told, arrive late)
June 15 - Spend the day at Cinque Terre, walking the path, and possibly a boat tour
June 16 - Leave early and go to Florence, spend day there, just sight seeing and such
June 17 - Spend morning going to see famous sights, leave after lunch in rental car to go to see some of Tuscany. Planning to stay at a bed and breakfast somewhere in the Greve region (but any suggestions are appreciated)
June 18 - Return car to Florence in early evening, take train to Venice
June 19 and 20 - Sightsee in Venice
June 21 - Leave early to go to Lake region of Italy (arrive at Lake Como around noon)
June 22 - Leave Como for Zurich early, spend afternoon and evening around Zurich
Then return home on June 23.
My biggest concerns are whether or not I'm trying to fit too much into one trip. I'm going with my girlfriend, and I like history while she enjoys the people watching. I'd really like to go to the Cinque Terre area at some point, but I'd be most ready to take it out over Venice, Florence, or Rome. Also, is the lake region in Italy worth just a day? Or should I just plan to go on in to Switzerland and see Lucerne?
Finally, I'm planning on doing Point to Point tickets now for the rail because they seem cheaper. Is that the best idea.
Any advice on places to stay and things to do are greatly appreciated. It's my first time heading over to Europe after years of wanting to go, so I'll take any help I can get.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 where to stay (and how long), what to see around Nuremberg
- 2 Flying with Air France and Alitalia
- 3 Using Kindle, Netflix, Amazon Prime in Europe
- 4 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 5 Review of the Jhieronimus Bosch ehibition
- 6 Doobie in Amsterdam
- 7 First Time Europe Trip
- 8 Cordoba or Granada?
- 9 Location and amenities in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 10 St Andrews advice
- 11 Guided tours or drive yourself? - Scotland
- 12 Cordoba to Madrid airport?
- 13 Capri Ferry Tickets
- 14 Need a meeting point suggestion in southern France
- 15 Seville Hotels - September 2016
- 16 Hostel Advice
- 17 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 18 Scotland Advise: Isle of Skye or Glen Coe
- 19 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 20 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 21 Rome for a week
- 22 Touring Wales
- 23 Italy + Greece + Croatia
- 24 Cheltenham or Moreton-in-Marsh?
- 25 2 Week Euro Solo Trip - UK, Paris, Brussels