I'm trying to get some advice on my first trip to Europe this upcoming summer. I'd be leaving June 11, with a flight landing in Rome on the 12th around noon. Here's my proposed itinerary from there:
June 12 - Enjoy the day in Rome, maybe see some of the things such as the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. Otherwise, just sightsee some and people watch after a long flight.
June 13 - Do the tour essentially, mainly the Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon.
June 14 - Vatican trip, leave for Cinque Terre area in evening (it's about a 4 hour train ride I've been told, arrive late)
June 15 - Spend the day at Cinque Terre, walking the path, and possibly a boat tour
June 16 - Leave early and go to Florence, spend day there, just sight seeing and such
June 17 - Spend morning going to see famous sights, leave after lunch in rental car to go to see some of Tuscany. Planning to stay at a bed and breakfast somewhere in the Greve region (but any suggestions are appreciated)
June 18 - Return car to Florence in early evening, take train to Venice
June 19 and 20 - Sightsee in Venice
June 21 - Leave early to go to Lake region of Italy (arrive at Lake Como around noon)
June 22 - Leave Como for Zurich early, spend afternoon and evening around Zurich
Then return home on June 23.
My biggest concerns are whether or not I'm trying to fit too much into one trip. I'm going with my girlfriend, and I like history while she enjoys the people watching. I'd really like to go to the Cinque Terre area at some point, but I'd be most ready to take it out over Venice, Florence, or Rome. Also, is the lake region in Italy worth just a day? Or should I just plan to go on in to Switzerland and see Lucerne?
Finally, I'm planning on doing Point to Point tickets now for the rail because they seem cheaper. Is that the best idea.
Any advice on places to stay and things to do are greatly appreciated. It's my first time heading over to Europe after years of wanting to go, so I'll take any help I can get.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trying to figure out the Copenhagen metro
- 2 Advice on Tuscan hilltowns itinerary
- 3 Driving Itinerary in Austria Advice Please
- 4 One night in Amsterdam?
- 5 Trip Report: Bellagio, Milan, Venice, Cinque Terre and Piedmont
- 6 Naples?
- 7 6 nights in Portugal? Suggestions?
- 8 Europe Tour. Information of any kind.
- 9 Where do I buy distilled water in Italy?
- 10 Amsterdam & Paris in peak season
- 11 Travelling from Marseille Airport into the city
- 12 Barcelona Itinerary
- 13 Avignon: hotel l'europe or cloitre st louis and gordes
- 14 Jewelry in Bologna, Italy
- 15 Travel in England and Scotland
- 16 10 days in spain
- 17 Nice - nightlife / live music
- 18 two weeks trip to Switzerland and French Rivwra
- 19 Interesting new site in Utrecht
- 20 Milan, Venice, Bellagio, Piedmont wine country, a day in the Cinque Terre
- 21 If you can travel anywhere, Where would you travel?
- 22 Outer Hebrides and north
- 23 RailPass England / Scotland?
- 24 One day in Paris!
- 25 A plethora of islands