I'm trying to get some advice on my first trip to Europe this upcoming summer. I'd be leaving June 11, with a flight landing in Rome on the 12th around noon. Here's my proposed itinerary from there:
June 12 - Enjoy the day in Rome, maybe see some of the things such as the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. Otherwise, just sightsee some and people watch after a long flight.
June 13 - Do the tour essentially, mainly the Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon.
June 14 - Vatican trip, leave for Cinque Terre area in evening (it's about a 4 hour train ride I've been told, arrive late)
June 15 - Spend the day at Cinque Terre, walking the path, and possibly a boat tour
June 16 - Leave early and go to Florence, spend day there, just sight seeing and such
June 17 - Spend morning going to see famous sights, leave after lunch in rental car to go to see some of Tuscany. Planning to stay at a bed and breakfast somewhere in the Greve region (but any suggestions are appreciated)
June 18 - Return car to Florence in early evening, take train to Venice
June 19 and 20 - Sightsee in Venice
June 21 - Leave early to go to Lake region of Italy (arrive at Lake Como around noon)
June 22 - Leave Como for Zurich early, spend afternoon and evening around Zurich
Then return home on June 23.
My biggest concerns are whether or not I'm trying to fit too much into one trip. I'm going with my girlfriend, and I like history while she enjoys the people watching. I'd really like to go to the Cinque Terre area at some point, but I'd be most ready to take it out over Venice, Florence, or Rome. Also, is the lake region in Italy worth just a day? Or should I just plan to go on in to Switzerland and see Lucerne?
Finally, I'm planning on doing Point to Point tickets now for the rail because they seem cheaper. Is that the best idea.
Any advice on places to stay and things to do are greatly appreciated. It's my first time heading over to Europe after years of wanting to go, so I'll take any help I can get.
10 Day Trip starting in Rome, ending in Zurich
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Southern Spain wth family in 1 week by car
- 2 How to get from Greenwich to Victoria Station
- 3 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 4 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 5 A drive in Europe
- 6 Europe in 21 days
- 7 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 8 Phone for in-country calls in Greece
- 9 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 10 Best French Onion Soup in Paris
- 11 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 12 Munich to Lyon (10 nights) --- help needed with itinerary please
- 13 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 14 UK for 12 days !
- 15 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 16 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 17 Edinburgh for 7 days for 60+
- 18 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 19 London hotel
- 20 Help wanted for choosing apartment/hotel in Istanbul (early May 2014)
- 21 Your Advice: Bosphorus Cruise. Ortakoy and Dolmabahce Palace
- 22 A Win At the Arc and Discovering Lisbon
- 23 Yearly Greece visitor looking for different island
- 24 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 25 Hotel in Venice