I'm trying to get some advice on my first trip to Europe this upcoming summer. I'd be leaving June 11, with a flight landing in Rome on the 12th around noon. Here's my proposed itinerary from there:
June 12 - Enjoy the day in Rome, maybe see some of the things such as the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. Otherwise, just sightsee some and people watch after a long flight.
June 13 - Do the tour essentially, mainly the Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon.
June 14 - Vatican trip, leave for Cinque Terre area in evening (it's about a 4 hour train ride I've been told, arrive late)
June 15 - Spend the day at Cinque Terre, walking the path, and possibly a boat tour
June 16 - Leave early and go to Florence, spend day there, just sight seeing and such
June 17 - Spend morning going to see famous sights, leave after lunch in rental car to go to see some of Tuscany. Planning to stay at a bed and breakfast somewhere in the Greve region (but any suggestions are appreciated)
June 18 - Return car to Florence in early evening, take train to Venice
June 19 and 20 - Sightsee in Venice
June 21 - Leave early to go to Lake region of Italy (arrive at Lake Como around noon)
June 22 - Leave Como for Zurich early, spend afternoon and evening around Zurich
Then return home on June 23.
My biggest concerns are whether or not I'm trying to fit too much into one trip. I'm going with my girlfriend, and I like history while she enjoys the people watching. I'd really like to go to the Cinque Terre area at some point, but I'd be most ready to take it out over Venice, Florence, or Rome. Also, is the lake region in Italy worth just a day? Or should I just plan to go on in to Switzerland and see Lucerne?
Finally, I'm planning on doing Point to Point tickets now for the rail because they seem cheaper. Is that the best idea.
Any advice on places to stay and things to do are greatly appreciated. It's my first time heading over to Europe after years of wanting to go, so I'll take any help I can get.
10 Day Trip starting in Rome, ending in Zurich
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Advice and suggestions welcome for 2 month trip
- 2 What should we tip our tour guide?
- 3 England sites not to miss
- 4 2 month backpacking though europe
- 5 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 6 naples & pickpockets
- 7 to take cash from USA or from ATMs in France?
- 8 month's stay in Italy
- 9 Please help us maximize our time in each European city
- 10 Scotland day tour
- 11 Scotland trip report July 2014, chapter 1
- 12 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 13 Deciding between tour companies- Trafalgar vs Insight
- 14 Wine tour from Verona?
- 15 7 weeks Europe with toddler - Itinerary advice
- 16 Beach along The Seine in Paris
- 17 Where to stay in the french riviera?
- 18 Spain - Mallorca vs. Canary Islands
- 19 Sigh....Swiss Pass HELP!
- 20 Buying Train Tickets on line in advance of Trip to Italy
- 21 Struggling with Ireland itinerary - help finding off the beaten path gems!
- 22 TR: Solo in LONDON for ten days on unfinished business ...
- 23 Lucca, Italy - flea/antique market?
- 24 Granada: stay in the Albayzin?
- 25 UK in the Beginning of 2016