I am planning a 10 day road trip for 4 people in August 2014. I really have no idea what I am doing so any advice would be very much appreciated!
We fly into Bergen on the 11th of August late afternoon and fly out to Iceland on the 21st at midday. Our main interests are scenery and hiking/walking. We will be hiring a car and staying in budget accommodation/hostels (maybe camping but unsure whether we will have tents at this stage).
My itinerary draft goes like this at present:
11/08- Fly from Zurich to Bergen, arrive 5pm
12/08- Bergen (explore the surrounding mountains, hikes and city sites)
13/08- Stavanger (4.5 hour drive from Bergen, could explore Haugesund and/or Folgefonna NP)
14/08- Stavanger (? Forsand) (see Pulpit rock and/or Kjerag)
15/08- Odda (see Hardangerfjord region including Trolltunga, Vøringsfossen)
16/08- Flam/Aurland (2.5 hour drive, stop at Voss on the way
17/08- Flam/Aurland (explore region)
18/08- Bøverdalen (3 hour drive, in Jotunheimen National Park)
19/08- Geiranger (1.5 hour drive, explore Geirangerfjord)
20/08- Bergen (6 hour drive)
21/08- Depart Bergen at 1pm arrive Reykjavik at 3:30pm
1) We are keen to see Pulpit rock and/or Kjerag but it seems so far out of the way! Do you think it would be worth it? Is Stavanger a good starting point or would Forsand be better?
2) Are we trying to cram too much in?
3) Would we be better off basing ourselves in a region like Flam/Aurland and just doing day trips out to places?
4) Are we excluding any "must see" areas?
Thank you in advance,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 2 Germany-Car or Train
- 3 Italy Itinerary Gap to Fill - Alternate Suggestions
- 4 SURPRISE TRIP
- 5 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 6 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 7 Europe's Most Famous Streets?
- 8 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 9 Moderately priced French restaurants in Paris: an update
- 10 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 11 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 12 Weather and clothes in Sakzkammergut in August
- 13 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 14 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 15 Getting to Naxos and Santorini
- 16 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 17 thoughts on my itenerary France and Italy
- 18 Valencia Spain
- 19 Europe for Beginners
- 20 2 Week Europe Itinerary
- 21 Travel from Barcelona to Dordogne
- 22 Porto, Galicia and Asturias (plus Leon) Hotel recommendations (??)
- 23 13 nights in switzerland
- 24 Best daypack ?
- 25 Bruges, Ghent or Brussels?