My husband and I have booked a 6.5 week to Europe for October/November, arriving in London and leaving from Rome. We will be travelling with our 16 month old.
We plan to spend 1 week in Switzerland during the last week of October. I know the weather will not be great this time of year, but one of our main reasons of going to Switzerland is to break up the trip between Paris and Venice (by train).
So we're looking for somewhere to stay that is scenic and convenient - the areas I was thinking of staying in is either just outside of Vevey/Montreux, or otherwise in the Fribourg region like around Gruyeres or Charmey. Then we would do day trips to places like Gruyere cheese factory/castle, alpine areas, Chillon Castle, Lavaux vineyards, Vevey Markets. We would love to stay in the mountains but since it might be really cold I wonder whether it's best to stay closer to the cities (Vevey/Montreux) where there might be more options for indoor activities..?
So a few more questions -
1. I know the Swiss railway network has a great reputation, but would it be worthwhile catching the train directly to Lausanne and hiring a car from there? That way we wouldn't have to rely on train schedules to get around. If we did stick with public transport, we probably wouldn't go with a Swiss pass as I don't think we would get our money's worth.
2. Is there likely to be snow this time of year in the alpine areas?
3. Any other recommendations of places to visit, particularly in the mountains?
Thanks for any advice.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Two weeks in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 2 Need Barcelona Gaudi Ticket Help
- 3 Naples or Genoa
- 4 http://www.healthyminimarket.com/hollywood-smiles/
- 5 http://www.prohealthguides.com/fitcrew-usa-xtreme-testrone/
- 6 Manchester on derby weekend
- 7 Night Walk, food and Shopping in Rome
- 8 December in Slovenia
- 9 Night club strobe light
- 10 Budapest/Krakow/Warsaw
- 11 For a poor not identified the delightful powers
- 12 Road Maps of Ireland
- 13 3 week Italy trip with 12 and 14 year old - 2017
- 14 Itinerary help please!
- 15 Vitalpeak XT >> > http://getmenshealth.com/vitalpeak-xt/
- 16 Dover queues
- 17 Neighborhood Bistros in Paris
- 18 Barcelona attraction tickets
- 19 Greece Itinerary
- 20 http://www.thehealthvictory.com/raw-power-xl/
- 21 Short, one day trip to Sighișoara, what do you recommend?
- 22 What neighborhood to stay in Paris?
- 23 3 nights in St Petersburg, 3 in Moscow, Private tour vs. Group?
- 24 Day Trip from Lausanne
- 25 Puglia