My husband and I have booked a 6.5 week to Europe for October/November, arriving in London and leaving from Rome. We will be travelling with our 16 month old.
We plan to spend 1 week in Switzerland during the last week of October. I know the weather will not be great this time of year, but one of our main reasons of going to Switzerland is to break up the trip between Paris and Venice (by train).
So we're looking for somewhere to stay that is scenic and convenient - the areas I was thinking of staying in is either just outside of Vevey/Montreux, or otherwise in the Fribourg region like around Gruyeres or Charmey. Then we would do day trips to places like Gruyere cheese factory/castle, alpine areas, Chillon Castle, Lavaux vineyards, Vevey Markets. We would love to stay in the mountains but since it might be really cold I wonder whether it's best to stay closer to the cities (Vevey/Montreux) where there might be more options for indoor activities..?
So a few more questions -
1. I know the Swiss railway network has a great reputation, but would it be worthwhile catching the train directly to Lausanne and hiring a car from there? That way we wouldn't have to rely on train schedules to get around. If we did stick with public transport, we probably wouldn't go with a Swiss pass as I don't think we would get our money's worth.
2. Is there likely to be snow this time of year in the alpine areas?
3. Any other recommendations of places to visit, particularly in the mountains?
Thanks for any advice.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 2 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 3 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 4 Springtime (Hopefully) in Copenhagen
- 5 Itinerary Paris to Dordogne +/- Loire??
- 6 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 7 Parma/strasbourg or frankfurt???
- 8 Places to cover in Switzerland in 8-9 days & then 5-6 days in Austria
- 9 How the kids age calculated
- 10 Help required with Itinerary
- 11 European Travel & Trivia Quiz #162
- 12 Paris Navigo weekly Pass
- 13 Slovenia & Croatia Itinerary Feedback
- 14 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 15 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 16 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 17 The Txakoli (or Chacoli) Wines of Coastal Basque Country
- 18 Suggestions needed for our trip to Austria & Switzerland in October
- 19 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 20 Flat in London
- 21 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #163
- 22 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 23 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 24 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 25 Buying Train Tickets to and from Prague