My husband and I have booked a 6.5 week to Europe for October/November, arriving in London and leaving from Rome. We will be travelling with our 16 month old.
We plan to spend 1 week in Switzerland during the last week of October. I know the weather will not be great this time of year, but one of our main reasons of going to Switzerland is to break up the trip between Paris and Venice (by train).
So we're looking for somewhere to stay that is scenic and convenient - the areas I was thinking of staying in is either just outside of Vevey/Montreux, or otherwise in the Fribourg region like around Gruyeres or Charmey. Then we would do day trips to places like Gruyere cheese factory/castle, alpine areas, Chillon Castle, Lavaux vineyards, Vevey Markets. We would love to stay in the mountains but since it might be really cold I wonder whether it's best to stay closer to the cities (Vevey/Montreux) where there might be more options for indoor activities..?
So a few more questions -
1. I know the Swiss railway network has a great reputation, but would it be worthwhile catching the train directly to Lausanne and hiring a car from there? That way we wouldn't have to rely on train schedules to get around. If we did stick with public transport, we probably wouldn't go with a Swiss pass as I don't think we would get our money's worth.
2. Is there likely to be snow this time of year in the alpine areas?
3. Any other recommendations of places to visit, particularly in the mountains?
Thanks for any advice.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Transfer in CDG - claim our baggage & do passport control??
- 2 Phone cards
- 3 Renting a car
- 4 Is it safe to take train from CDG by 10 PM?
- 5 Reykjavik Trip Report
- 6 Nuit Blanche in Paris Oct 1st
- 7 Venice-Dolomites in 6 days
- 8 munich - day trips
- 9 Juangfrau / mt
- 10 Cheap Hotel in Prague
- 11 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 12 sim card
- 13 1st time in London - Location wise, which would be the better for us?
- 14 visa expired
- 15 PLITVICE LAKES
- 16 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 17 Family trip to Spain: Barcelona, Seville and San Sebastian
- 18 Where in Europe for 15 full days from 21 Oct to 6 Nov 2016?
- 19 written guide for Olympia
- 20 Lots of walking, amazing scenery & wine - 3 weeks France & Germany.
- 21 Catalonia: 14 days in September
- 22 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 23 Naxos hotel question
- 24 Another "Beware of Cab RipOff" Story
- 25 England and Wales by public transport