My husband and I have booked a 6.5 week to Europe for October/November, arriving in London and leaving from Rome. We will be travelling with our 16 month old.
We plan to spend 1 week in Switzerland during the last week of October. I know the weather will not be great this time of year, but one of our main reasons of going to Switzerland is to break up the trip between Paris and Venice (by train).
So we're looking for somewhere to stay that is scenic and convenient - the areas I was thinking of staying in is either just outside of Vevey/Montreux, or otherwise in the Fribourg region like around Gruyeres or Charmey. Then we would do day trips to places like Gruyere cheese factory/castle, alpine areas, Chillon Castle, Lavaux vineyards, Vevey Markets. We would love to stay in the mountains but since it might be really cold I wonder whether it's best to stay closer to the cities (Vevey/Montreux) where there might be more options for indoor activities..?
So a few more questions -
1. I know the Swiss railway network has a great reputation, but would it be worthwhile catching the train directly to Lausanne and hiring a car from there? That way we wouldn't have to rely on train schedules to get around. If we did stick with public transport, we probably wouldn't go with a Swiss pass as I don't think we would get our money's worth.
2. Is there likely to be snow this time of year in the alpine areas?
3. Any other recommendations of places to visit, particularly in the mountains?
Thanks for any advice.
1 week Switzerland end of October
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2000 years, 2 countries, 2 passports: Rome & Madrid, Jan. 2015
- 2 Trains Austria
- 3 Help Please with itinerary between Pisa and Milan in Sept/Oct.
- 4 Trains
- 5 The Tweesters take a trip to BiH, Croatia and Slovenia
- 6 Better to rent a car in Venice or Padua?
- 7 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 8 What happens to check in bag if I leave country in transit (Germany)
- 9 Greece with 10yr old who wants to re-live Greek mythology
- 10 Denmark cycle tour
- 11 How Well-Traveled Are You?
- 12 Possible Italy and Paris Itinerary - any thoughts?
- 13 Greek Pelion....Homebase? Nice Accommodation?
- 14 Ireland with Kids in March - itinerary help
- 15 Train from Sarlat
- 16 Help with another Sicily itinerary (15 nights)
- 17 proposed two week Greece itinerary
- 18 Naples vs Sorrento
- 19 September Trip to Normandy/Brittany/Paris
- 20 Spain 6 weeks itinerary help
- 21 Itinerary Help- 12 day trip to Munich, Salzburg, Vienna and Prague
- 22 Mâché aux Puces from Garibaldi metro
- 23 Chip + Pin Credit Card
- 24 Trip Report: My Encounter With the Italian Hospital System
- 25 Easter holidays in Spain, loved it!