My husband and I have booked a 6.5 week to Europe for October/November, arriving in London and leaving from Rome. We will be travelling with our 16 month old.
We plan to spend 1 week in Switzerland during the last week of October. I know the weather will not be great this time of year, but one of our main reasons of going to Switzerland is to break up the trip between Paris and Venice (by train).
So we're looking for somewhere to stay that is scenic and convenient - the areas I was thinking of staying in is either just outside of Vevey/Montreux, or otherwise in the Fribourg region like around Gruyeres or Charmey. Then we would do day trips to places like Gruyere cheese factory/castle, alpine areas, Chillon Castle, Lavaux vineyards, Vevey Markets. We would love to stay in the mountains but since it might be really cold I wonder whether it's best to stay closer to the cities (Vevey/Montreux) where there might be more options for indoor activities..?
So a few more questions -
1. I know the Swiss railway network has a great reputation, but would it be worthwhile catching the train directly to Lausanne and hiring a car from there? That way we wouldn't have to rely on train schedules to get around. If we did stick with public transport, we probably wouldn't go with a Swiss pass as I don't think we would get our money's worth.
2. Is there likely to be snow this time of year in the alpine areas?
3. Any other recommendations of places to visit, particularly in the mountains?
Thanks for any advice.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Towns or hikes along Lake Lucerne
- 2 Globus Iberian Tour
- 3 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 4 Poland to Austria In December
- 5 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 6 road trip through scotland
- 7 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 8 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 9 Requesting information about Flytolake/Lariobus
- 10 Agriturismo or small hotel between Milan & Cinque Terre
- 11 Thinking about the Fjords
- 12 Copenhagen,Helsinki,St. Petersburg in mid September
- 13 Where to eat in Rome?
- 14 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 15 Alsace to Austria?
- 16 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 17 base for Andalucia
- 18 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 19 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 20 Help with 12 day UK Itinerary!
- 21 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 22 Dublin to Dun Laoughaire on a Sunday
- 23 Driving in Southern Italy - outside the beaten track
- 24 barcelona neighborhood
- 25 Jamikins? Other Italy travelers? Need car info, please.