My husband and I have booked a 6.5 week to Europe for October/November, arriving in London and leaving from Rome. We will be travelling with our 16 month old.
We plan to spend 1 week in Switzerland during the last week of October. I know the weather will not be great this time of year, but one of our main reasons of going to Switzerland is to break up the trip between Paris and Venice (by train).
So we're looking for somewhere to stay that is scenic and convenient - the areas I was thinking of staying in is either just outside of Vevey/Montreux, or otherwise in the Fribourg region like around Gruyeres or Charmey. Then we would do day trips to places like Gruyere cheese factory/castle, alpine areas, Chillon Castle, Lavaux vineyards, Vevey Markets. We would love to stay in the mountains but since it might be really cold I wonder whether it's best to stay closer to the cities (Vevey/Montreux) where there might be more options for indoor activities..?
So a few more questions -
1. I know the Swiss railway network has a great reputation, but would it be worthwhile catching the train directly to Lausanne and hiring a car from there? That way we wouldn't have to rely on train schedules to get around. If we did stick with public transport, we probably wouldn't go with a Swiss pass as I don't think we would get our money's worth.
2. Is there likely to be snow this time of year in the alpine areas?
3. Any other recommendations of places to visit, particularly in the mountains?
Thanks for any advice.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day tour from Edinburgh - Hairy Coo v/s Rabies?
- 2 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 3 Suppose to leave on the 24th, still no visa
- 4 Trogir or Split
- 5 Scotland
- 6 Hotels in Turin
- 7 Berlin to ?
- 8 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 9 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 10 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 11 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 12 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 13 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 14 Any suggested guide or tour companies for the Acropolis?
- 15 Istria in two days
- 16 Barcelona and Paris trip report
- 17 Looking for advice about flight from Barcelona to Paris
- 18 Drive from Montepulciano to Cinque Terre
- 19 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 20 Scotland itinerary help
- 21 Rental Car pick up in Cortana
- 22 8 days in st Remy - surprise trip for hubby
- 23 Transportation from Westport via Athlone to Belturbet or Ballinamore area
- 24 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 25 15 days in Croatia - Advise Needed