My husband and I have booked a 6.5 week to Europe for October/November, arriving in London and leaving from Rome. We will be travelling with our 16 month old.
We plan to spend 1 week in Switzerland during the last week of October. I know the weather will not be great this time of year, but one of our main reasons of going to Switzerland is to break up the trip between Paris and Venice (by train).
So we're looking for somewhere to stay that is scenic and convenient - the areas I was thinking of staying in is either just outside of Vevey/Montreux, or otherwise in the Fribourg region like around Gruyeres or Charmey. Then we would do day trips to places like Gruyere cheese factory/castle, alpine areas, Chillon Castle, Lavaux vineyards, Vevey Markets. We would love to stay in the mountains but since it might be really cold I wonder whether it's best to stay closer to the cities (Vevey/Montreux) where there might be more options for indoor activities..?
So a few more questions -
1. I know the Swiss railway network has a great reputation, but would it be worthwhile catching the train directly to Lausanne and hiring a car from there? That way we wouldn't have to rely on train schedules to get around. If we did stick with public transport, we probably wouldn't go with a Swiss pass as I don't think we would get our money's worth.
2. Is there likely to be snow this time of year in the alpine areas?
3. Any other recommendations of places to visit, particularly in the mountains?
Thanks for any advice.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 2 Morning in paris
- 3 Oct vs Nov for Greece
- 4 Advices about our itiniary
- 5 Global Travel Warning...
- 6 Balkans Itinerary
- 7 How a Greek DIY expert ended up on a Greek Island Cruise
- 8 Dynamic Currency Conversion is Alive & Well in Paris
- 9 Italy AND Switzerland in 8 days
- 10 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 11 Return to Rome Pre Cruise Trip Report October 2016
- 12 Why Not Helsinki?
- 13 X-ray machines at train stations in Europe?
- 14 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 15 Inverness Northern Lights?
- 16 Dublin Ireland Hotel Advice for early June
- 17 advice on my 3 month backpacking trip itinerary?
- 18 Places to visit staying in Como
- 19 Critique my Budapest itinerary please!
- 20 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 21 Mona Lisait Returns
- 22 Do i need a Swiss Half-fare travelcard?
- 23 Need Help with Locations of Naples Apartments
- 24 Churches of the East Riding of Yorkshire
- 25 Paris Under Seige...