My husband and I have booked a 6.5 week to Europe for October/November, arriving in London and leaving from Rome. We will be travelling with our 16 month old.
We plan to spend 1 week in Switzerland during the last week of October. I know the weather will not be great this time of year, but one of our main reasons of going to Switzerland is to break up the trip between Paris and Venice (by train).
So we're looking for somewhere to stay that is scenic and convenient - the areas I was thinking of staying in is either just outside of Vevey/Montreux, or otherwise in the Fribourg region like around Gruyeres or Charmey. Then we would do day trips to places like Gruyere cheese factory/castle, alpine areas, Chillon Castle, Lavaux vineyards, Vevey Markets. We would love to stay in the mountains but since it might be really cold I wonder whether it's best to stay closer to the cities (Vevey/Montreux) where there might be more options for indoor activities..?
So a few more questions -
1. I know the Swiss railway network has a great reputation, but would it be worthwhile catching the train directly to Lausanne and hiring a car from there? That way we wouldn't have to rely on train schedules to get around. If we did stick with public transport, we probably wouldn't go with a Swiss pass as I don't think we would get our money's worth.
2. Is there likely to be snow this time of year in the alpine areas?
3. Any other recommendations of places to visit, particularly in the mountains?
Thanks for any advice.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Change of Itinerary? to Refocus on Basque country (Spain&France)
- 2 Upcoming first trip to the UK
- 3 3/4/ days South of France
- 4 Italy- 18nights, 4 regions!
- 5 21 nights in England, please help
- 6 Pickpocketing prevention tip
- 7 Any recommended reading before a trip to Basque country?
- 8 First Trip to Europe, HELP
- 9 Mom's First Trip to Paris (2.5 days)
- 10 Trains from Granada
- 11 Cinque Terre with Mom (4 days)
- 12 Iceland-another itinerary help request
- 13 Rome & Florence with Mom (3 days)
- 14 Do we stay in Montalcino or Chianti or Both?
- 15 Alhambra
- 16 Calling Flamenco fans including Kimhe
- 17 Euro 2016 Football championship
- 18 Driving from San Sebastian to La Rioja to Bilbao
- 19 Too much for one day in Munich?
- 20 Catalunya, Cathars and Castles (and vino!)
- 21 Ten day tour of Assisi and Umbria during Candelmaggio
- 22 How would you piece these together?Piedmont,Tuscany, Bologna, Umbria
- 23 Florence and Rome
- 24 Need itinerary help for self-drive or tour from Cavan to N. Ireland
- 25 Fodor's Boston GTG