I will be staying in Lisbon from July 22 - July 28. I've never been to Portugal and will be traveling by myself for the first time (a bit nervous, but excited).
I wanted to do a few day trips from Lisbon. I love, love beautiful beaches that are great for swimming, any outdoor activities (hiking, biking, etc.), walking around different, unique towns. The palaces look cool (ie, Pena Palace) but I'm not into museums. Love to try new food and cook - a cooking class would be awesome.
I live in NYC so I when I travel I like to see cities that do NOT remind me of NYC.
A few questions:
1. What day trips are feasible from Lisbon? Is Porto doable? Keep in mind, I have a high tolerance for long days and travel (ie, a 3 hr train ride super early and late for a day trip is okay -- I just want to make sure I'll be able to see a decent amount of the city).
2. What are some cool cities I should check out?
3. What are the best beaches for swimming?
4. Any good restaurant recommendations?
5. Any tour recommendations?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What experiences were most memorable for your kids?
- 2 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 3 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 4 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 5 What kind of tea can i choose in afternoon tea in France?
- 6 Lake District: HF Holiday houses Derwent Bank and Monk Coniston
- 7 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 8 Alitala
- 9 Paris Oct 31-Nov 4
- 10 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 11 Iceland photo tour- any tips?
- 12 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 13 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 14 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 15 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 16 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 17 Azores v. north coastal Portugal-Best use of time between Lisbon and Porto
- 18 Car service from Vienna Airport
- 19 LeHavre to Rennes/St. Malo?
- 20 Europe First Timers
- 21 Photography gear for Rome and Venice
- 22 Navigation Decouverte cards never expire; right? Wrong!
- 23 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 24 Funniest of Fodor Threads
- 25 Iceland for Nine Days