We‘re just back from the Windstar Panama Canal to Costa Roca cruise on the Wind Spirit. This was our third and probably last cruise with Windstar. First the good news. The on board staff is wonderful; friendly, hardworking and professional. They do a great job given the deep cuts put in place by the new owners. The kitchen staff works wonders with the poor quality supplies they are provided. But even they can’t make up for the lack of quality food or the minimal quantity of pricier ingredients. Compared to our previous Windstar cruises, the lunch buffet was bare bones. No seafood salads or other interesting items. Instead we had lots of pasta’s and stewed/braised meats, the better to tenderize lower quality cuts. The afternoon teas were simply embarrassing. Dinners were usually better but the seafood was dreadful. One does not expect frozen fish as an entrée when visiting ports filled with local fisherman delivering wonderful fish daily. It is clear that Xanterra is cutting corners which has impacting bookings. Our cruise was only 78% occupied (125 passengers). At the Yacht Club (frequent cruiser) reception I discretely chatted with several other Windstar regulars who noticed the decline and wanted to share notes on other lines for future cruises. The staff at the corporate booking office worked to minimums and couldn’t care less about our past loyalty. Xanterra specializes in extracting maximum revenue from a captive audience. As operators of facilities within US National Parks, they serve visitors who rarely come back for repeat visits. So their modus operandi is maximum prices with minimal value. We sailed on the Seabourn Odyssey last year and the difference between the Odyssey and Wind Spirit is dramatic even though the Windstar line costs about the same.
Trip Report Windstar Panama Passage March 23 Sailing
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 Carnival's newest ship Carnival Vista deck plans
- 2 Take my daughter on a one week cruise in March
- 3 Alaska Cruise
- 4 MSC Divina Caribbean Cruise
- 5 Assult on Golden Princess
- 6 Alaska in summer
- 7 Veendam vs. Summit
- 8 1st time on NCL. Any tips please.
- 9 Would you live on a cruise ship year round?
- 10 Celebrity Infinity South America and Antarctica Packing Help
- 11 1 night in Denali
- 12 Optional Tours-Danube River Cruise with Viking
- 13 Beware of Grand Circle Travel and Overseas Adventure Travel
- 14 Antarctica Cruise
- 15 Croatia Dalmatian Coast
- 16 Cruiseline's responsibility for customer injury
- 17 Cruise worries
- 18 Transportation options around Miami and Ft Lauderdale
- 19 Alaska Shore excursion on the cheap
- 20 RC Majesty of the seas versus Caribbean Princess
- 21 An Introduction to new member
- 22 Is dreamlines.nl scam?
- 23 Sunday in Livorno
- 24 Alaska Soutbound: Coral Princess or Zaandam?
- 25 Oh Royal Caribbean…I’m so disappointed in you.