Just finished the Rio-Ft. Lauderdale cruise on the Mariner. A few comments: First, the ship is impeccably maintained and the level of service is very high, though not as personalized as we've had with Seabourn. Food was OK, if not great; that said, the two specialty restaurants were a cut above and, if they were on land, we would go to them - something we didn't feel with Compass Rose or Veranda. Excursions were free, of course, but not good. This is probably due to the kind of cities we visited. Staterooms (a curtain in the middle of the room does not make a "suite" we didn't think) are reasonably large and well laid out; too much space is wasted on the balcony which gets limited use. Some of the older passengers complained about the height of the bathtub - getting in and out was hard for them. Regarding shows, we thought they didn't do well. The large productions shows were poor, the individual performers on the small shows varied between good and so-so. Wine and liquor were included and were of generally pretty good quality. Tipping is, presumably, not allowed. They waffle a bit on this policy and we found that most did tip at least their cabin attendants. To summarize, it's a good ship that seems to try to fit into the middle between the top quality small ships such as Seabourne and the high end larger ships.
RSS Mariner review
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 Explain me this, Regent Cruise.
- 2 What are the most unusual items you pack for a cruise?
- 3 Jones Act
- 4 Cruise Experience Interview
- 5 Beware of Grand Circle Travel and Overseas Adventure Travel
- 6 Vantage River Cruises vs. Viking River Cruises
- 7 Organised Trips from Celebrity's Equinox Cruise Liner
- 8 Be aware of problem with Vantage River Navigator Cruise
- 9 Discount fares on Viking River Cruises?
- 10 Be cautious on MS Amadeus Elegant
- 11 Alaska Shore excursion on the cheap
- 12 Norwegian Dawn Boston to Bermuda Cruise- June 27-July 4
- 13 Holland America Northbound Cruise - 7/13-7/20/14
- 14 river cruise cabins
- 15 Cape Horn Cruise
- 16 Power converters for onboard cruise
- 17 Alaska Cruise with Celebrity Solstice 7/11/14 - 7/18/14
- 18 STAY AWAY FROM VIKING
- 19 Douro or Danube for river cruise
- 20 Anyone ever used Vacations To Go?
- 21 Viking River Cruise Disappoints
- 22 Elia or Kalafatis beach on Mykonos
- 23 Cruise on the Galapagos Explorer II
- 24 a little worried about getting wet feet...1st ever cruise pending
- 25 Regent Seven Seas Voyager - Bangkok to Dubai - April, 2014