I posted this in the Italy forum, but figured I would try here, too. I just booked a two-week trip to Italy for August. It'll be my first time there and I'm traveling solo. Can't wait to go. Anyway, one week will be spent on a cruise. Two of the stops are Livorno and Naples, and I have a couple of questions.
-- For Livorno, I would like to climb the Leaning Tower of Pisa (not just snap a picture) and spend time in Naples if possible. Is it realistic to do both on my own by taking the train? Or would I need to choose one over the other? The ship's tours are pretty expensive. The one that goes to Pisa and Florence basically stops near the Leaning Tower for like a 15-minute photo op and then heads onto Florence. There is also a four-hour Pisa-only tour in which you can climb the tower. I've also looked at a local tour company recommended by Fodors, and the options are similar.
_ For Naples, a similar sort of question. If I take the train to Pompeii, will I have time to visit the ruins and then grab some pizza in Naples before heading back to the ship? The ship has a five-hour Pompeii excursion for $129. That would get me back around 1:30, which would give me time to head into town. But I'm wondering if I would be better off going on my own or if there are good cheaper options with a local company.
At both stops the ship docks at 7 a.m. and leaves at 7 p.m. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 Panama Canal - 7-9 days
- 2 Seasickness and Canary Islands Cruise
- 3 Hs anyone here done a transpacific cruise on Seabourn?
- 4 Crusing Cape Town to Singapore...need help
- 5 Pirates!
- 6 Looking for Arctic cruise deals
- 7 Alaska Shore excursion on the cheap
- 8 Viking changes itinerary
- 9 Trying to decide to cruise to Port of Call Key West
- 10 Windsurf Sept 10 Dublin to Lisbon....anyone?
- 11 Cape Liberty cruise terminal
- 12 Murder on the High Sea
- 13 Cruising need suggestions for ports in South Africa
- 14 Grand Celebration review
- 15 Alaska or Galagpagos - Family of 4
- 16 Princess - Needs Help!
- 17 Antarctica Adventure
- 18 Roll calls
- 19 Help With First Cruise to Alaska
- 20 Celebrity Reflection Western Mediterranean Cruise
- 21 Pisa/Florence and Naples/Pompeii questions
- 22 Alaskan Cruise Misc Questions...
- 23 Africa Cape Town to Capetown
- 24 What to pack for alaska
- 25 Princess Plus: a Review of the Regal Princess