I just discovered this section of the Fodor's board, and I'd like to ask some questions of cruise veterans.
I live in Italy and my mom lives in Portland, Oregon. I'd like to have her stay with me for awhile in Italy, but she really doesn't like to fly. (Last year, she drove from Portland to Houston to visit other family.)
So I'm thinking that if we hook up in NYC, we could take a transatlantic cruise from NYC to ---???? I guess Southamption, right?
From there, I think it would make sense to grab a private transfer to Gatwick Airport, where I can get a flight to Italy that is only two hours long, which my mom can handle, I'm sure.
First of all, does that sound like a plan? Do you know healthy 80 year olds who do it comfortably? My mom is an excellent sailor (she used to own a small boat), not prone to seasickness.
Second, how much hustle and bustle is it to board the boat? Should we spend a few days in NYC relaxing, or can we pretty much meet up in NYC, spend the night, get on the boat the next day without feeling like I'm pushing mom?
Third: Mom and I are not fashion plates, and since I'll be carrying her luggage, I want to get away with just a rolling carry-on for her. Can we wear nice pants outfits to dinner? Are there any washng machines aboard a cruise ship (sorry for the dumb questions!)
Fourth: I am thinking that we'll be just fine with an inside cabin (low down for me, the bad sailor). Am I nuts to think we can live without a window and just go on deck during the day?
Fifth: Can I only get a repositioning fare in Spring? Do I need to book them way in advance?
Sixth: Could I still get a good deal for a September crossing?
Last! I doubt mom and I will want extras. Are all our meals included in the price of the cruise? How about cocktails? Anything that you or I would consider a "basic" that I need to know I really have to pay for?
Thanks so much! Feel free to comment or volunteer information I might be overlooking.
Need advice about taking my healthy 80+ years Mom on a Transatlantic voyage
- 1 Trip report: Sapphire Princess May 11-18 2013/Wine Country Coastal
- 2 World cruise?
- 3 cruise from miami to Los angles
- 4 Just Returned from Gate 1 Danube River Cruise
- 5 A few questions about RCI Majesty of the Seas
- 6 quick lunch in Paris
- 7 first time cruise (Carribean): what money do we take?
- 8 (Almost) Day and a half in Rome
- 9 Boston to Bermuda on NCL's Dawn
- 10 What to pack for an Alaska Inside Passage Cruise in mid-June
- 11 Boston: Black Falcon Terminal to Hilton at Logan by taxi or ship transfer?
- 12 Rhine River Cruise - Amsterdam to Zurick
- 13 Alaska-Oceania vs Regent
- 14 Travel Report for Azamara Journey - Asia Cruise
- 15 Venice Port and Hotel help
- 16 Regent vs Oceania Australia/New Zealand 2014
- 17 Cayos Cochinos
- 18 California Coastal Cruise
- 19 Shared excursions on Norwegian Spirit June 16, 2013 sailing
- 20 Royal Caribbean drink prices and the new alcohol policy 2013
- 21 Going on a Cruise? Do you still want to after you read this?
- 22 Grand Turk
- 23 Transportation from Rome airport to Port
- 24 cruise ship illness outbreaks (the Norovirus reports for 2012&2013)
- 25 Shore excursions on Paul Gaugin ship in Tahiti?