Our family (kids are 15 and 12) are considering a Mexican Riviera cruise for Spring Break '07. But which cruise for us?
We are in our mid to late 40's and have been on Carnival (Europe, Caribbean) and Royal Caribbean (Caribbean). Of the 2 lines, we are more the Royal Caribbean "type".
We strongly prefer to sail out of San Diego, since we live in San Diego county. Here are the 3 cruises that leave out of San Diego that week:
1. Celebrity Mercury (Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas)
2. Holland America Oosterdam (Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas)
3. Carnival Spirit (Mazatlan, La Paz, Cabo San Lucas)
Here are the pros and cons:
* Pros - best price of the 3, we'd probably LOVE Celebrity's service and food, we enjoy smaller ships.
* Cons - older ship, will be refurbished the week AFTER we would return, not sure if there will be enough kids for our kids to make friends with (even during Spring Break).
2. Holland America:
* Pros - nice, newer ship.
* Cons - not sure if there will be enough kids for our kids to make friends with (even during Spring Break), Is the crowd a tad older than we'd prefer? May be more sedate than we'd prefer.
* Pros - this itinerary includes La Paz, which I've read is the best scuba dive port of all the ports listed above (DH and DD would dive and DS and I would snorkel), here there would be enough kids for my kids to make friends with.
* Cons - would prefer another line to Carnival; will this be too much of a party crowd? We like to have fun but aren't big drinkers, etc. Maybe too many kids (would like a decent amount, but don't want to be overrun with kids either!)?
I also posted on Cruise Critic.. but am interested in what the fodorites recommend, as well.
Sooooooo.... which cruise for us?
Any suggestions or comments?
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 Bermuda Cruise Scooter?
- 2 Segway: Has anyone taken one of these port tours?
- 3 Best Blue Cruise in Marmaris-Turkey
- 4 Low water cruise complaints
- 5 Cost of Alcoholic Beverages
- 6 Alaska: Norwegian or Princess...
- 7 Trip report: Viking Portraits of Southern France
- 8 Best Food on Luxury Cruise Lines
- 9 Holland america oosterdam
- 10 No recourse for a change of itinerary
- 11 Very disappointed with Viking River Cruises
- 12 Cruises survey
- 13 Advice on cruise: Boston to Bahams
- 14 Viking River Cruise - Pretty darn good!!
- 15 Antarctica Trip Report, March 2015, 10 Days
- 16 Viking River Cruise Disappoints
- 17 Customer Experience Research - Short 2 minute Survey. Help Appreciated.
- 18 Viking Danube River Bus Tour
- 19 Viking Review - Dont Buy the Hype
- 20 Viking Danube cruise: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
- 21 High and dry Viking River Cruises...
- 22 Silversea the BEST
- 23 Hats off to Viking
- 24 Viking River Cruise- Please Black list this company
- 25 Gate 1 Cruise on Luftner’s Amadeus Silver – Substituted Bus Tour