We recently spent 2 days in Manaus. One day was to an eco tour to several remote Indian villages and on the second day we spent 4.5 hours doing a quick tour of Manaus City. Our guide Daniel from Anavilhanas Eco Tourismo was invaluable,.He actually owns the service and has one guide Marco whose English is first rate. On the tour of the city while everyone was rushing to H.Stern for bargains on topaz, tourmaline, amythest and emeralds we having visited H.Stern briefly realized their priced were out-of-line. Daniel , our guide, had suggested a shop where the more prosperous residents of Manaus purchase their stones and it was a real find. It is a precious gem shop in the Taj Mahal Hotel. The two partners Chico and Adelson were very patient and not at all pushy. I know a little bit about semi-precious stones and I hoped I could find a stone for my wife and myself. In the end we found 2 stones and though their asking price was reasonable I offered 20% less and stood firm because I was going to buy 2 stones. They accepted my offer at 16% less . When I returned home I went to a jewlery exchange I know and from 2 jewlers I received apprasals approximately 3.5 times what I paid. The only problem is if you go without an English guide who also speaks Portugeese you will be in trouble because Adelson who was there has almost zero English speaking skills but our guide helped us. It was a very worthwhile stop for 2 tri-color tourmaline of excellent quality.
If in Manaus a Gem dealer Worth Visiting
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 Where to Stay in Boston Before & After HAL Cruise
- 2 NEED HELP CHOOSING SHIP
- 3 Grand Circle Rivers of Europe Cruise
- 4 Queen Mary II Transatlantic Questions
- 5 Car rental at Southampton cruise terminal
- 6 Will we like European river cruises?
- 7 Tips for Royal Caribbean trip
- 8 carnival curise customer care are not customer care at all!!!!!
- 9 decisions decisions ... advise please
- 10 Celebrity Century Disaster Cruise
- 11 An Epic Adventure
- 12 Trip Report Windstar Panama Passage March 23 Sailing
- 13 Oceania-Marina-Scandinavian Treasures Cruise
- 14 Need some help finding the right cabin
- 15 Car Rental Marseille at Cruise Port
- 16 "Formal" Dinners on Coral Princess
- 17 queen mary question
- 18 Cruise themed music video filmed in the Bahamas
- 19 Back from Epic cruise
- 20 Vantage River Cruises vs. Viking River Cruises
- 21 Cozumel excursions
- 22 Alaska Cruise with 3 children 4, 8 & 10
- 23 Budget cruising in style: (5-day Carribean Cruise with Carnival)
- 24 Golf Cruise Hawaii?
- 25 Anyone had problems with Affordable Tours?