We recently spent 2 days in Manaus. One day was to an eco tour to several remote Indian villages and on the second day we spent 4.5 hours doing a quick tour of Manaus City. Our guide Daniel from Anavilhanas Eco Tourismo was invaluable,.He actually owns the service and has one guide Marco whose English is first rate. On the tour of the city while everyone was rushing to H.Stern for bargains on topaz, tourmaline, amythest and emeralds we having visited H.Stern briefly realized their priced were out-of-line. Daniel , our guide, had suggested a shop where the more prosperous residents of Manaus purchase their stones and it was a real find. It is a precious gem shop in the Taj Mahal Hotel. The two partners Chico and Adelson were very patient and not at all pushy. I know a little bit about semi-precious stones and I hoped I could find a stone for my wife and myself. In the end we found 2 stones and though their asking price was reasonable I offered 20% less and stood firm because I was going to buy 2 stones. They accepted my offer at 16% less . When I returned home I went to a jewlery exchange I know and from 2 jewlers I received apprasals approximately 3.5 times what I paid. The only problem is if you go without an English guide who also speaks Portugeese you will be in trouble because Adelson who was there has almost zero English speaking skills but our guide helped us. It was a very worthwhile stop for 2 tri-color tourmaline of excellent quality.
If in Manaus a Gem dealer Worth Visiting
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 Celebrity Caribbean Cruise with NO Paid Excursions??
- 2 Flight Back to US after Transatlantic Cruise
- 3 Would you live on a cruise ship year round?
- 4 Formal nights on cruise
- 5 Take my daughter on a one week cruise in March
- 6 Norwegian Dawn
- 7 Carnival's newest ship Carnival Vista deck plans
- 8 Alaska Cruise
- 9 MSC Divina Caribbean Cruise
- 10 Assult on Golden Princess
- 11 Alaska in summer
- 12 Veendam vs. Summit
- 13 1st time on NCL. Any tips please.
- 14 Celebrity Infinity South America and Antarctica Packing Help
- 15 1 night in Denali
- 16 Optional Tours-Danube River Cruise with Viking
- 17 Beware of Grand Circle Travel and Overseas Adventure Travel
- 18 Antarctica Cruise
- 19 Croatia Dalmatian Coast
- 20 Cruiseline's responsibility for customer injury
- 21 Cruise worries
- 22 Transportation options around Miami and Ft Lauderdale
- 23 Alaska Shore excursion on the cheap
- 24 RC Majesty of the seas versus Caribbean Princess
- 25 An Introduction to new member