We recently spent 2 days in Manaus. One day was to an eco tour to several remote Indian villages and on the second day we spent 4.5 hours doing a quick tour of Manaus City. Our guide Daniel from Anavilhanas Eco Tourismo was invaluable,.He actually owns the service and has one guide Marco whose English is first rate. On the tour of the city while everyone was rushing to H.Stern for bargains on topaz, tourmaline, amythest and emeralds we having visited H.Stern briefly realized their priced were out-of-line. Daniel , our guide, had suggested a shop where the more prosperous residents of Manaus purchase their stones and it was a real find. It is a precious gem shop in the Taj Mahal Hotel. The two partners Chico and Adelson were very patient and not at all pushy. I know a little bit about semi-precious stones and I hoped I could find a stone for my wife and myself. In the end we found 2 stones and though their asking price was reasonable I offered 20% less and stood firm because I was going to buy 2 stones. They accepted my offer at 16% less . When I returned home I went to a jewlery exchange I know and from 2 jewlers I received apprasals approximately 3.5 times what I paid. The only problem is if you go without an English guide who also speaks Portugeese you will be in trouble because Adelson who was there has almost zero English speaking skills but our guide helped us. It was a very worthwhile stop for 2 tri-color tourmaline of excellent quality.
If in Manaus a Gem dealer Worth Visiting
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 Cruise Experience Interview
- 2 Jones Act
- 3 Beware of Grand Circle Travel and Overseas Adventure Travel
- 4 Vantage River Cruises vs. Viking River Cruises
- 5 Organised Trips from Celebrity's Equinox Cruise Liner
- 6 Be aware of problem with Vantage River Navigator Cruise
- 7 Discount fares on Viking River Cruises?
- 8 Be cautious on MS Amadeus Elegant
- 9 Alaska Shore excursion on the cheap
- 10 Norwegian Dawn Boston to Bermuda Cruise- June 27-July 4
- 11 Holland America Northbound Cruise - 7/13-7/20/14
- 12 river cruise cabins
- 13 Cape Horn Cruise
- 14 Power converters for onboard cruise
- 15 Alaska Cruise with Celebrity Solstice 7/11/14 - 7/18/14
- 16 STAY AWAY FROM VIKING
- 17 Douro or Danube for river cruise
- 18 Anyone ever used Vacations To Go?
- 19 Viking River Cruise Disappoints
- 20 Elia or Kalafatis beach on Mykonos
- 21 Cruise on the Galapagos Explorer II
- 22 a little worried about getting wet feet...1st ever cruise pending
- 23 Regent Seven Seas Voyager - Bangkok to Dubai - April, 2014
- 24 Sending an On-Board 'gift'?
- 25 Gate 1 River Cruise to Russia - Know anything about it?