We recently spent 2 days in Manaus. One day was to an eco tour to several remote Indian villages and on the second day we spent 4.5 hours doing a quick tour of Manaus City. Our guide Daniel from Anavilhanas Eco Tourismo was invaluable,.He actually owns the service and has one guide Marco whose English is first rate. On the tour of the city while everyone was rushing to H.Stern for bargains on topaz, tourmaline, amythest and emeralds we having visited H.Stern briefly realized their priced were out-of-line. Daniel , our guide, had suggested a shop where the more prosperous residents of Manaus purchase their stones and it was a real find. It is a precious gem shop in the Taj Mahal Hotel. The two partners Chico and Adelson were very patient and not at all pushy. I know a little bit about semi-precious stones and I hoped I could find a stone for my wife and myself. In the end we found 2 stones and though their asking price was reasonable I offered 20% less and stood firm because I was going to buy 2 stones. They accepted my offer at 16% less . When I returned home I went to a jewlery exchange I know and from 2 jewlers I received apprasals approximately 3.5 times what I paid. The only problem is if you go without an English guide who also speaks Portugeese you will be in trouble because Adelson who was there has almost zero English speaking skills but our guide helped us. It was a very worthwhile stop for 2 tri-color tourmaline of excellent quality.
If in Manaus a Gem dealer Worth Visiting
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 I have made a deposit on my first Cruise (RCI Panama Canal)
- 2 Anyone had problems with Affordable Tours?
- 3 Cruise: last minute price- 4 nights from Auckland to Melbourne 1 Feb 2016
- 4 Are drinks packages worth buying?
- 5 Uniworld Bordeaux, Vineyard & Chateau vs. Burgundy & Provence River Cruise
- 6 Loved my Avalon Tulip Time River Cruise!
- 7 Anybody traveled on a Tom Harper European River Cruise?
- 8 Viking or Uniworld for Egypt/Nile
- 9 St. Petersburg, Russia Port Tour
- 10 Greece Italy Cruise
- 11 Gratutities on Quantum Class
- 12 Ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo
- 13 southern caribbean shore excursions
- 14 Transportation options around Miami and Ft Lauderdale
- 15 Best time of year to avoid drunken crowds? Cruise lines to avoid?
- 16 Cruise room options for three people
- 17 12 Day Cruise with 2 Kids under 3
- 18 Tauck Danube cruise
- 19 Dresscode on HAL Alaska Cruise
- 20 First Time Alaska Cruise
- 21 The PINK But Still FUN Ugly Duckling
- 22 New charge on NCL
- 23 returning rental car in Southampton
- 24 Aug 1, Baltic cruise on Caribbean Princess
- 25 Trip report: Viking Portraits of Southern France