Tipping has become clumsy. We believe tips are gratis, that tipping is for above-expected service. I can think of only two cases when service on a ship wasn't above our expectations: in the dining room the entire 6 nights with Norwegian Cruise Line,and for 10 of 14 days in our stateroom on Royal Caribbean. We brought a good amount of cash and fancy envelopes for tips and took the tip charge off our account at some point in the cruise as usual. We prefer this traditional way of showing appreciation. It worked out well on 20 other cruises. We have since learned that tips are put in a pool and shared among the service crew, that on some ships lists are posted in service quarters with names of guests who removed their tips from their accounts. Now we leave the company recommended tips on our account and, if needed, go to the purser's desk to adjust the amounts up or down the night before the last day in fear of getting poor service. Has anyone had this same problem, and is there a better way to reward the best service?
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 Alaska
- 2 Another good experience on Carnival and a Disney first
- 3 Formal nights - something to look forward to or a nuisance?
- 4 Staterooms
- 5 Rick Steves on Emerald Princess
- 6 RC's Legend of the Seas Cruise, Scandinavia/Russia
- 7 Sea sickness
- 8 Oh Royal Caribbean…I’m so disappointed in you.
- 9 An alternative to Rome when in Civitavecchia
- 10 How much are water Taxies in Venice?
- 11 Parking in Miami
- 12 Hard Time Choosing Between Two Itineraries
- 13 South Pacific
- 14 Any update on Navigator delay?
- 15 Celebrity Constellation
- 16 Please help with cruise planning.
- 17 Beware of Grand Circle Travel and Overseas Adventure Travel
- 18 Alaska Shore excursion on the cheap
- 19 Be careful out there ...
- 20 $10000.998 cruise sold out
- 21 Ionian vs. Cyclades Cruises in Greece
- 22 Suggestion for accommodation/tour in Anchorage after 7 day Princess Cruise.
- 23 Buffet in Ruby Princess
- 24 European cruises with Europeans
- 25 Pre-cruise hotel options in Rome