She leapt to her feet, leant over the guest-relations counter and grabbed at me.
‘Give me a hug!’
Rather startled, I obliged. I didn’t recall such intimacy between us when we’d met before. I was rather glad there was a counter in-between.
‘I saw your name on the passenger list,’ she gushed, ‘oh, oh, I said, here’s trouble!’
As her cheek brushed mine, she laughed and whispered.
‘I didn’t really say that.’
Yes, you did.
A young blond man stood behind me, holding a welcoming glass of champagne. Unfortunately, I had to decline. My hands were full of Guest Relations Manager.
She was a largish woman, smart as a tack, with eyes as cold as ice. Somewhere between twenty-five and forty, I think - I never really looked that close; I was always a bit nervous in case she bit me. She could be warm as toast and Arctic, all in the space of a sentence. As Dorothy Parker once said, my hostess ran the gamut of emotions from A to B.
It wasn’t entirely her fault. If I had to relate to a ship full of cruisers for a living my emotional range would veer from rage to murder. She was very good at her job – except for those eyes, those killer Aza-eyes. They gave her heart away.
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 Alaska Shore excursion on the cheap
- 2 European cruise suggestions?
- 3 La Pinta or Santa Cruz II - Galapagos
- 4 Has anyone sailed with Ponant?
- 5 Alaska or Galagpagos - Family of 4
- 6 Alaska Cruise
- 7 Going!
- 8 Barcelona: Pier to Airport Transfer
- 9 Ist time cruiser on Carnival Liberty Bahamas
- 10 Viking cruise in early October
- 11 Trip insurance
- 12 Husband is a green card holder
- 13 Caution if considering Viking River Cruises
- 14 Cruising the Baltic in June
- 15 Virgin to build cruise ships.
- 16 Hello, San Juan and Jewel Of The Seas
- 17 Clothes for Baltic cruise
- 18 Sunshine, On A Cloudy Day
- 19 Quick cruise beginning of March Bahamas vs Carribbean
- 20 Southern Caribbean Cruise tips - Celebrity
- 21 How do you decide if you would lie a cruise?
- 22 HAL - "Open Seating Notification"
- 23 Transportation from airport to Manhattan hotels
- 24 Prague to Budapest with Tauck in May, 2016
- 25 MSC splendida