Disney Cruise Line bills it nightly shows as Broadway quality and they truly were. On the first night of our cruise we saw Golden Mickeys, a musical revue-style presented in the style of an awards ceremony with characters from Disney films being nominated for various awards (heroism, adventure, friendship and romance). Some of the film numbers performed included a medley from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Toy Story 3's "You've Got a Friend in Me," The Lion King's "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" and more. My favorite was a number from last year's animated film Tangled in which Rapunzel sang and acted from one of the theatre's balcony boxes, her signature hair falling over the side of it.
The second night's show was Villains Tonight which starred none other than Disney's most famous villains. The premise is that Hades from the film Hercules is on a quest to get more evil in the underworld by summoning up Disney's most powerful villains so that he can keep his "job." Maleficent, Jafar, the Evil Queen and Captain Hook are just a few of the villains who find themselves in a variety of comical situations while performing musical acts from their respective films. The show was good with numerous funny lines by Hades (although geared more towards an adult demographic), and is just one of the many offerings of Disney today that has its villains as front and center stars.
We unfortunately had to miss the final show, Disney's Believe, on the third night due to our reservation at Remy, the adults only restaurant, but it seems like it would have been equally enjoyable as the other two. While both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the performances, my only critique is that they were too short (they're an hour). I realize that they're on the shorter side due to wanting to appeal to smaller children, but I know that a longer, adults only performance would be great.
Movies: In the Buena Vista Theatre, first run movies (those still in the theatres) are shown. Selection varies but all are ones owned by the Walt Disney Company. D and I watched Winnie the Pooh but also showing was Cars 2, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, The Help and Fright Night. Movies are shown throughout the day, including late evening screenings. Concessions are also sold (at an additional price of course) but paving the way for an authentic, movie viewing experience you would have land side.
Characters: There exist numerous opportunities to pose with your favorite Disney characters starting from mid-morning to mid-evening. Times and locations are always listed in the Personal Navigator which is a daily newsletter on what's happening on the ship that day. Characters were usually around for 20 minutes, usually in the ship's atrium area. Although lines could get long it's to be expected as character appearances are generally one of Disney's most popular attractions. My favorite photo opportunities were with Remy from the Pixar film Ratatouille and Donald Duck who I share a birthday with.
Disney Dream-Entertainment Review
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 Jones Act
- 2 Beware of Grand Circle Travel and Overseas Adventure Travel
- 3 Vantage River Cruises vs. Viking River Cruises
- 4 Organised Trips from Celebrity's Equinox Cruise Liner
- 5 Be aware of problem with Vantage River Navigator Cruise
- 6 Discount fares on Viking River Cruises?
- 7 Be cautious on MS Amadeus Elegant
- 8 Alaska Shore excursion on the cheap
- 9 Norwegian Dawn Boston to Bermuda Cruise- June 27-July 4
- 10 Holland America Northbound Cruise - 7/13-7/20/14
- 11 river cruise cabins
- 12 Cape Horn Cruise
- 13 Power converters for onboard cruise
- 14 Alaska Cruise with Celebrity Solstice 7/11/14 - 7/18/14
- 15 STAY AWAY FROM VIKING
- 16 Douro or Danube for river cruise
- 17 Anyone ever used Vacations To Go?
- 18 Viking River Cruise Disappoints
- 19 Elia or Kalafatis beach on Mykonos
- 20 Cruise on the Galapagos Explorer II
- 21 a little worried about getting wet feet...1st ever cruise pending
- 22 Regent Seven Seas Voyager - Bangkok to Dubai - April, 2014
- 23 Sending an On-Board 'gift'?
- 24 Gate 1 River Cruise to Russia - Know anything about it?
- 25 Legend of the Seas - July 20th Shore Excursions?