Disney Cruise Line bills it nightly shows as Broadway quality and they truly were. On the first night of our cruise we saw Golden Mickeys, a musical revue-style presented in the style of an awards ceremony with characters from Disney films being nominated for various awards (heroism, adventure, friendship and romance). Some of the film numbers performed included a medley from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Toy Story 3's "You've Got a Friend in Me," The Lion King's "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" and more. My favorite was a number from last year's animated film Tangled in which Rapunzel sang and acted from one of the theatre's balcony boxes, her signature hair falling over the side of it.
The second night's show was Villains Tonight which starred none other than Disney's most famous villains. The premise is that Hades from the film Hercules is on a quest to get more evil in the underworld by summoning up Disney's most powerful villains so that he can keep his "job." Maleficent, Jafar, the Evil Queen and Captain Hook are just a few of the villains who find themselves in a variety of comical situations while performing musical acts from their respective films. The show was good with numerous funny lines by Hades (although geared more towards an adult demographic), and is just one of the many offerings of Disney today that has its villains as front and center stars.
We unfortunately had to miss the final show, Disney's Believe, on the third night due to our reservation at Remy, the adults only restaurant, but it seems like it would have been equally enjoyable as the other two. While both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the performances, my only critique is that they were too short (they're an hour). I realize that they're on the shorter side due to wanting to appeal to smaller children, but I know that a longer, adults only performance would be great.
Movies: In the Buena Vista Theatre, first run movies (those still in the theatres) are shown. Selection varies but all are ones owned by the Walt Disney Company. D and I watched Winnie the Pooh but also showing was Cars 2, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, The Help and Fright Night. Movies are shown throughout the day, including late evening screenings. Concessions are also sold (at an additional price of course) but paving the way for an authentic, movie viewing experience you would have land side.
Characters: There exist numerous opportunities to pose with your favorite Disney characters starting from mid-morning to mid-evening. Times and locations are always listed in the Personal Navigator which is a daily newsletter on what's happening on the ship that day. Characters were usually around for 20 minutes, usually in the ship's atrium area. Although lines could get long it's to be expected as character appearances are generally one of Disney's most popular attractions. My favorite photo opportunities were with Remy from the Pixar film Ratatouille and Donald Duck who I share a birthday with.
Disney Dream-Entertainment Review
- 1 Pride of America
- 2 Do you prefer small exotic cruises or large cruise ships?
- 3 Transportation from airport in Papeete to cruise terminal
- 4 Beware of Grand Circle Travel and Overseas Adventure Travel
- 5 "Shore Excursions in Italy.net"
- 6 20-Day Cruise from Sydney to PNG and Other Islands....
- 7 Need advice on packing for January cruise Sydney to Auckland
- 8 Glove suggestions for our Antartic cruise
- 9 Bottled Water vs Ship Water
- 10 Cruises to Alaska
- 11 Hard Time Choosing Between Two Itineraries
- 12 Cunards Q.Victoria and Q Mary11
- 13 Booking after final payment: To wait or not to wait?
- 14 Celebrity Infinity - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires - January 19, 2014
- 15 Things I Learned on a Mediterranean Cruise aboard the Carnival Sunshine
- 16 Grand Princess( Princess Cruise Line)
- 17 Mayan Ruin in Belize
- 18 Why are July & August so much less expensive
- 19 Arabian peninsula cruise: newbie questions
- 20 Which River Cruise company?? Amsterdam to Vienna 2014
- 21 Bad experience on Carnival!!!!!!!
- 22 Eastern Mediterranean and Grrek Isles
- 23 California Coastal Cruise October 19-26, 2013.
- 24 Christmas River Cruise for Young Couple
- 25 NCL Epic June 15-22, 2014 sharing tour excursions in Italy with Romeinlimo