Disney Cruise Line bills it nightly shows as Broadway quality and they truly were. On the first night of our cruise we saw Golden Mickeys, a musical revue-style presented in the style of an awards ceremony with characters from Disney films being nominated for various awards (heroism, adventure, friendship and romance). Some of the film numbers performed included a medley from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Toy Story 3's "You've Got a Friend in Me," The Lion King's "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" and more. My favorite was a number from last year's animated film Tangled in which Rapunzel sang and acted from one of the theatre's balcony boxes, her signature hair falling over the side of it.
The second night's show was Villains Tonight which starred none other than Disney's most famous villains. The premise is that Hades from the film Hercules is on a quest to get more evil in the underworld by summoning up Disney's most powerful villains so that he can keep his "job." Maleficent, Jafar, the Evil Queen and Captain Hook are just a few of the villains who find themselves in a variety of comical situations while performing musical acts from their respective films. The show was good with numerous funny lines by Hades (although geared more towards an adult demographic), and is just one of the many offerings of Disney today that has its villains as front and center stars.
We unfortunately had to miss the final show, Disney's Believe, on the third night due to our reservation at Remy, the adults only restaurant, but it seems like it would have been equally enjoyable as the other two. While both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the performances, my only critique is that they were too short (they're an hour). I realize that they're on the shorter side due to wanting to appeal to smaller children, but I know that a longer, adults only performance would be great.
Movies: In the Buena Vista Theatre, first run movies (those still in the theatres) are shown. Selection varies but all are ones owned by the Walt Disney Company. D and I watched Winnie the Pooh but also showing was Cars 2, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, The Help and Fright Night. Movies are shown throughout the day, including late evening screenings. Concessions are also sold (at an additional price of course) but paving the way for an authentic, movie viewing experience you would have land side.
Characters: There exist numerous opportunities to pose with your favorite Disney characters starting from mid-morning to mid-evening. Times and locations are always listed in the Personal Navigator which is a daily newsletter on what's happening on the ship that day. Characters were usually around for 20 minutes, usually in the ship's atrium area. Although lines could get long it's to be expected as character appearances are generally one of Disney's most popular attractions. My favorite photo opportunities were with Remy from the Pixar film Ratatouille and Donald Duck who I share a birthday with.
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 Best Blue Cruise in Marmaris-Turkey
- 2 Low water cruise complaints
- 3 Trip report: Viking Portraits of Southern France
- 4 Best Food on Luxury Cruise Lines
- 5 Holland america oosterdam
- 6 Alaska: Norwegian or Princess...
- 7 No recourse for a change of itinerary
- 8 Very disappointed with Viking River Cruises
- 9 Cruises survey
- 10 Advice on cruise: Boston to Bahams
- 11 Viking River Cruise - Pretty darn good!!
- 12 Cost of Alcoholic Beverages
- 13 Antarctica Trip Report, March 2015, 10 Days
- 14 Viking River Cruise Disappoints
- 15 Customer Experience Research - Short 2 minute Survey. Help Appreciated.
- 16 Viking Danube River Bus Tour
- 17 Viking Review - Dont Buy the Hype
- 18 Viking Danube cruise: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
- 19 High and dry Viking River Cruises...
- 20 Silversea the BEST
- 21 Hats off to Viking
- 22 Viking River Cruise- Please Black list this company
- 23 Gate 1 Cruise on Luftner’s Amadeus Silver – Substituted Bus Tour
- 24 Balcony on cheap cruise versus inside on more expensive cruise
- 25 Formal nights on cruise