We are going to be on a 5 night Royal Caribbean cruise this summer that has 2 nights in St. Petersburg, Russia. We aren't really interested in the cruise lines shore excursions, partly since they appear to rush through key sites and focus on shopping.
The options we are looking at are contacting local agencies so they can arrange the "blanket" visa and customize a tour for us or perhaps applying for tourist visas on our own. I have read a few of the other posts and see a few agencies like DenRus and Red October that have received good reviews, but they seem to be a bit pricey. Is there an expectation that quoted prices are "final" or is bargaining expected? (I want to be sensitive, yet I plan on contacting several agencies.)
Assuming we try to get tourist visas on our own, just how daunting is the visa process? Also, how challenging is getting around St. Petersburg and what are the public transportation/taxi options from the port where Royal Caribbean docks their ship?
Also, how easily can I use my ATM card overseas to obtain Rubles?
Thanks for any insights.
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 HOTMAIL Password Recovery CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Technical SUPP0RT 24*7
- 2 Tauck River Cruises
- 3 Alaska Cruise-Definitely Not Cheap
- 4 Celebrity Millennium
- 5 Need Input Shore Excursion -- Cannes
- 6 Alaska Shore excursion on the cheap
- 7 Trip insurance
- 8 Alaska or Galagpagos - Family of 4
- 9 Cruising the Baltic in June
- 10 Costs all round when sick without adequate cover
- 11 Rental car return - Southampton UK
- 12 Has anyone sailed with Ponant?
- 13 Best time to book Royal Caribbean cruise for best price?
- 14 Beaches on Grand Turk and Amber Cove
- 15 Surprise Alaskan Cruise for my Mom for Mother's Day
- 16 Alaska Cruise
- 17 Alaskan cruise with young kids
- 18 Cabin mate for Norway cruise in July
- 19 Chase Sapphire Card has $10.000 worth of comprehensive travel insurance
- 20 Viking Southern Med. Ports
- 21 La Pinta or Santa Cruz II - Galapagos
- 22 Caution if considering Viking River Cruises
- 23 Viking Homelands cruise of Baltic
- 24 European cruise suggestions?
- 25 Going!
Cruise with 2 nights in St. Petersburg. Local tour or go solo?