I think consumers should be aware of what they are up against this summer when booking a cruise with Holland America. With the volcanic ash still causing havoc don’t be surprised if you don’t get your money back. Holland America’s customer service is not up to par and very disappointing. We had our honeymoon booked for several months through Holland America. We chose a cruise to the Mediterranean because my husband won a gift certificate through the charity auction at his work. When news hit that the volcano blew and flights were being cancelled I was on the phone trying to reschedule our flights that very morning. We had intentionally scheduled 3 days in Rome before the cruise took off so we had some extra time. We had very positive experiences when dealing with Delta who tried very hard to get us there but it wasn’t going to work out. Their customer service was excellent and so was hotels.com. We were refunded by Delta and hotels.com. Holland America fully acknowledges people couldn’t get there in fact the cruise ship we were supposed to be on even left a day later than it was originally slated for. But, when we called and spoke with several different representatives there was nothing they would do for us. All we wanted to do was reschedule our cruise since we were trapped and couldn’t fly there. They told us we would receive a cancellation fee & if we wanted to get our gift certificate portion back they wanted us to pay another $894 to get the $2000 credit from the gift certificate. I really would have hoped Holland America would have done the right thing. The other cruise lines worked with their customers to reschedule or provide a refund. I can’t understand this kind of service from Holland America. I was thoroughly disappointed. We were really looking forward to this and it was our honeymoon. All Holland America cared about was whether or not we wanted to pay them $894 to get the certificate back.
Beware of Holland America
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 Where to lookest price for 4-5 day cruise out of San Diego
- 2 Alaska
- 3 RC's Legend of the Seas Cruise, Scandinavia/Russia
- 4 Formal nights - something to look forward to or a nuisance?
- 5 Dresscode on HAL Alaska Cruise
- 6 Another good experience on Carnival and a Disney first
- 7 Staterooms
- 8 Rick Steves on Emerald Princess
- 9 Sea sickness
- 10 Oh Royal Caribbean…I’m so disappointed in you.
- 11 An alternative to Rome when in Civitavecchia
- 12 How much are water Taxies in Venice?
- 13 Parking in Miami
- 14 Hard Time Choosing Between Two Itineraries
- 15 South Pacific
- 16 Any update on Navigator delay?
- 17 Celebrity Constellation
- 18 Please help with cruise planning.
- 19 Beware of Grand Circle Travel and Overseas Adventure Travel
- 20 Alaska Shore excursion on the cheap
- 21 Be careful out there ...
- 22 $10000.998 cruise sold out
- 23 Ionian vs. Cyclades Cruises in Greece
- 24 Suggestion for accommodation/tour in Anchorage after 7 day Princess Cruise.
- 25 Buffet in Ruby Princess