With prior help (thanks again) we've booked our first cruise to Alaska and are now thinking about excursions. We'll visit Juneau and Sitka for a day each, Ketchikan for a morning, and Victoria for an evening. We are reasonably active, like nature and are travelling with an elementary school-aged child (which rules in and out a number of excursions), and we are thinking of splurging on one flightseeing tour.
Right now for Juneau, we're thinking about trying to fit in gold panning and a whale watch. The gold panning seems to mostly be offered through the cruise lines-- is that right? The timing is ok but not great-- we could then do a whale watch with Capt. Larry from 11:30-3:00. Should we try to see the Mendenhall Glacier on the way back too?
For Ketchikan, we were thinking of Misty Fjords flightseeing (Island Air?) which will take most of the morning. (If it's a matter a little more time flightseeing vs. in town I'm assuming we should we go with the plane?)
For Sitka we were thinking of a hike and maybe some of the wildlife tours (otters, raptors). Does anyone have suggestions or comments about cruise or independent options? (Looks as though there are a couple of hikes that you can pick up in town, but I am not sure if it's worth going with a group to get further out of town).
For Victoria I think we'll probably just walk around the harbor area and probably find someplace for dinner.
If anyone has advice for alternative excursions, or operators, or other tips, I'd appreciate it hearing it.
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 http://www.shaperich.com/provixn-aka-provixin/
- 2 One way cruise to Europe from FL
- 3 Trying to decide to cruise to Port of Call Key West
- 4 Windstar Sea Breeze
- 5 Touring on your own with Viking River Cruise
- 6 river cruises what do you love
- 7 Rhine River Cruise with AMAwaterways
- 8 UNIWORLD River Boat Cruise on the Danube, Budapest to Prague
- 9 NYC Tour before cruise
- 10 UNIWORLD River Beatrice Budapest to Prague
- 11 Pre-cruise hotel
- 12 Best Place to Purchase Cruises
- 13 port excursion recommendations
- 14 Need help European Cruise -viking Ocean Cruise Barcelona to Rome
- 15 Caribbean in 17/18
- 16 Caution if considering Viking River Cruises
- 17 Cruises Only - Be careful
- 18 Dietary requests
- 19 Panama Canal - 7-9 days
- 20 Crusing Cape Town to Singapore...need help
- 21 Zanzibar any ideas?
- 22 Seasickness and Canary Islands Cruise
- 23 Hs anyone here done a transpacific cruise on Seabourn?
- 24 Pirates!
- 25 Looking for Arctic cruise deals