With prior help (thanks again) we've booked our first cruise to Alaska and are now thinking about excursions. We'll visit Juneau and Sitka for a day each, Ketchikan for a morning, and Victoria for an evening. We are reasonably active, like nature and are travelling with an elementary school-aged child (which rules in and out a number of excursions), and we are thinking of splurging on one flightseeing tour.
Right now for Juneau, we're thinking about trying to fit in gold panning and a whale watch. The gold panning seems to mostly be offered through the cruise lines-- is that right? The timing is ok but not great-- we could then do a whale watch with Capt. Larry from 11:30-3:00. Should we try to see the Mendenhall Glacier on the way back too?
For Ketchikan, we were thinking of Misty Fjords flightseeing (Island Air?) which will take most of the morning. (If it's a matter a little more time flightseeing vs. in town I'm assuming we should we go with the plane?)
For Sitka we were thinking of a hike and maybe some of the wildlife tours (otters, raptors). Does anyone have suggestions or comments about cruise or independent options? (Looks as though there are a couple of hikes that you can pick up in town, but I am not sure if it's worth going with a group to get further out of town).
For Victoria I think we'll probably just walk around the harbor area and probably find someplace for dinner.
If anyone has advice for alternative excursions, or operators, or other tips, I'd appreciate it hearing it.
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 Westminster Classic Tours??
- 2 SICKNESS ON VIKING!
- 3 Cruise parking, Fort Lauderdale
- 4 Miami Cruise Port Parking Recommendations
- 5 Booking directly with cruise line or through an agency?
- 6 Grand Princess Returns to Port for Repairs
- 7 Stay away from Cruise,com and cruisesonly.com
- 8 Baltic Cruise Itinerary Question
- 9 Need tour help for Diamond Princess roundtrip from Singapore itinerary
- 10 Shore Excursions in Juneau
- 11 What to pack South America
- 12 Best Luxury Cruise to Greek Islands?
- 13 Cruisewear on Princess
- 14 Cruise facts
- 15 Santiago to Buenos Aires on the Sun in March 2016.
- 16 Antarctica-Expedition-Feb.2017-By OneOcean-
- 17 Quiet in the Forum
- 18 Trip report. Our cruise on the Diamond Princess with a stay in Tokyo
- 19 Viking handles Elbe low water badly
- 20 What is "roll call" on Cruise Critic?
- 21 Anyone had problems with Affordable Tours?
- 22 What to wear onboard Zaandam from Santiago to Buenos Aires.
- 23 Royal Princess 21 Days western Mediterranean and Greek Isles
- 24 Would you live on a cruise ship year round?
- 25 inoculations