We're planning on joining family for a Seattle-Alaska cruise on Holland America in early summer. Others have picked the itinerary, but I still have some first-timer cruise questions I was hoping someone could help with--
1) when is the best time to buy? I have signed up for emails from HAL but so far our sailing doesn't seem to be included in the sales they are advertising. If we are not flexible in our sailing date is it better to buy sooner?
2) Is it better to buy direct from the line, or should we find a travel agent? (Normally we book travel ourselves, but will a travel agent have access to cheaper upgrades or anything like that?)
3) Is it better to buy our own airfare, or to arrange it through the cruise line? If we arrange it ourselves, how much time do we need to leave to get off the ship? (We will be in Seattle for a few days before the trip, but the ship is scheduled to dock at 7 am on the return and we'll want to fly home that morning).
Any other advice or tips for a first-time cruiser? Maybe on meals? Based on some preliminary research, and the fact that we are planning to have an elementary-aged child with us, we are leaning towards getting the superior verandah suite on the theory it will be worth it to have some space for all of us-- thoughts?
thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 (U S) AOL Password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 AOL Tec*h SUPPORT
- 2 Dinner attire for Alaska Cruise
- 3 Holland America Line Koningsdam 23/7/2017
- 4 new england/canada cruise
- 5 Hs anyone here done a transpacific cruise on Seabourn?
- 6 12 day Mediterranean cruise
- 7 Alaska Cruise
- 8 Transportation to Mendenhall Glacier
- 9 St. Peter Port & Hauteville House
- 10 Has anyone sailed with Ponant?
- 11 Alaska- Icy straight point
- 12 Hotel in mid-town or near cruise pier?
- 13 Anytime Dining on Princess
- 14 Alaska Shore excursion on the cheap
- 15 Africa Cape Town to Capetown
- 16 Seeking Cozumel Advice
- 17 Cruising the Baltic in June
- 18 Chase Sapphire Card has $10.000 worth of comprehensive travel insurance
- 19 Three’s Still a Charm: New Review of Allure of the Seas
- 20 Tauck River Cruises
- 21 Caution if considering Viking River Cruises
- 22 Viking Southern Med. Ports
- 23 Best cruise ship for solo cruise to Alaska?
- 24 Avoid MSC; Worst vacation ever!
- 25 Alaska cruise excursions tips & logistics help