We're planning on joining family for a Seattle-Alaska cruise on Holland America in early summer. Others have picked the itinerary, but I still have some first-timer cruise questions I was hoping someone could help with--
1) when is the best time to buy? I have signed up for emails from HAL but so far our sailing doesn't seem to be included in the sales they are advertising. If we are not flexible in our sailing date is it better to buy sooner?
2) Is it better to buy direct from the line, or should we find a travel agent? (Normally we book travel ourselves, but will a travel agent have access to cheaper upgrades or anything like that?)
3) Is it better to buy our own airfare, or to arrange it through the cruise line? If we arrange it ourselves, how much time do we need to leave to get off the ship? (We will be in Seattle for a few days before the trip, but the ship is scheduled to dock at 7 am on the return and we'll want to fly home that morning).
Any other advice or tips for a first-time cruiser? Maybe on meals? Based on some preliminary research, and the fact that we are planning to have an elementary-aged child with us, we are leaning towards getting the superior verandah suite on the theory it will be worth it to have some space for all of us-- thoughts?
thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 Late arrival for checking-in
- 2 Vantage Deluxe World Travel
- 3 On the Vavilov in a twin share
- 4 Best Blue Cruise in Marmaris-Turkey
- 5 transport from Dundee wharf to Edinburgh
- 6 Windstart-Dundee port to airport transfer
- 7 cruising the Mississippi river
- 8 Carnival Vista, Cruisers Log.. Star Date 24.05.2016 AD
- 9 Spoiled for life
- 10 Santorini excursions
- 11 Alaska Shore excursion on the cheap
- 12 Mediterranean Ports Of Call, Carnival Vista
- 13 Barcelona to Rome
- 14 We finally made up our minds...
- 15 Currency for multiple countries
- 16 Oceania Overbooking
- 17 2 NIght PreCruise
- 18 How to plan 1 day in Copenhagen
- 19 Best Way to See Italy and/or Greece?
- 20 Suggestions for excursions in the Greek Isles Oct 2013
- 21 Dubronovik
- 22 Amsterdam - best way to get to city centre from the cruise terminal
- 23 Late flight from Miami Intl Airport
- 24 Sources for finding last minute deals on cruises from Seattle to Alaska?
- 25 alaska cruise