We're planning on joining family for a Seattle-Alaska cruise on Holland America in early summer. Others have picked the itinerary, but I still have some first-timer cruise questions I was hoping someone could help with--
1) when is the best time to buy? I have signed up for emails from HAL but so far our sailing doesn't seem to be included in the sales they are advertising. If we are not flexible in our sailing date is it better to buy sooner?
2) Is it better to buy direct from the line, or should we find a travel agent? (Normally we book travel ourselves, but will a travel agent have access to cheaper upgrades or anything like that?)
3) Is it better to buy our own airfare, or to arrange it through the cruise line? If we arrange it ourselves, how much time do we need to leave to get off the ship? (We will be in Seattle for a few days before the trip, but the ship is scheduled to dock at 7 am on the return and we'll want to fly home that morning).
Any other advice or tips for a first-time cruiser? Maybe on meals? Based on some preliminary research, and the fact that we are planning to have an elementary-aged child with us, we are leaning towards getting the superior verandah suite on the theory it will be worth it to have some space for all of us-- thoughts?
thanks for any advice!
1st time cruise to Alaska-- tips?
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 Alaska
- 2 Another good experience on Carnival and a Disney first
- 3 Formal nights - something to look forward to or a nuisance?
- 4 Staterooms
- 5 Rick Steves on Emerald Princess
- 6 RC's Legend of the Seas Cruise, Scandinavia/Russia
- 7 Sea sickness
- 8 Oh Royal Caribbean…I’m so disappointed in you.
- 9 An alternative to Rome when in Civitavecchia
- 10 How much are water Taxies in Venice?
- 11 Parking in Miami
- 12 Hard Time Choosing Between Two Itineraries
- 13 South Pacific
- 14 Any update on Navigator delay?
- 15 Celebrity Constellation
- 16 Please help with cruise planning.
- 17 Beware of Grand Circle Travel and Overseas Adventure Travel
- 18 Alaska Shore excursion on the cheap
- 19 Be careful out there ...
- 20 $10000.998 cruise sold out
- 21 Ionian vs. Cyclades Cruises in Greece
- 22 Suggestion for accommodation/tour in Anchorage after 7 day Princess Cruise.
- 23 Buffet in Ruby Princess
- 24 European cruises with Europeans
- 25 Pre-cruise hotel options in Rome