Hi everyone -
I've been enjoying reading old posts - there certainly are plenty of resources right here from people's past questions regarding toddlers and Caribbean vacations.
I wanted to throw a question out there hoping for some more personalized advice, however.
We are considering a trip either during President's Week or the last week of March (I'm a teacher, zero flexibility on dates), probably 4-5 nights, and seeking an island that has direct flights from NYC. After reading, I've narrowed it down to Turks & Caicos or St. Maarten, but am still open to other ideas. Our budget isn't huge - we'd like to spend about $3000 (tops), all told. I have some reward points that I could most likely put towards a chunk of the airfare.
My husband and I know that bringing a toddler to a beach won't be like the "old days," (lolling on a hammock, getting up to seek some good guacamole, returning to the porch of the oceanfront cottage to read some more)... rather we'll be looking for the simple pleasures of enjoying a special place with our little girl. What would make her have a great time - a kiddie pool/shallow splash area, accommodations that include a kitchen so we don't have to worry about asking so much of her day in and day out in restaurants...and maybe some activities for kids, but the kind that we would do with her - we will not be leaving her with any daycares or sitter services and we don't need to see Sesame Street characters walking around. We're not adverse to an "all inclusive" idea, but maybe something on the more intimate side, since we really only ever liked to travel to small guest houses, etc. So certainly we'd want this trip to be win-win - our daughter has a good time, but we also get the most out of our vacation (and hard earned money!) - something with an ocean view...something that feels a little special.
We've never been to the Caribbean so don't have the lay of the land. I'd appreciate all advice that you would have on specific places we could look for accommodations.
Finally, I was browsing Frommer's Best Family Vacations article, and saw a place in Barbados that caught my eye for its reasonable prices and kiddie pool...Amaryllis Beach Resort. Anyone heard of it?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can share.
Winter holiday with 2 year old - need help choosing accommodations.
Hi everyone -
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Please help me decide to go to Cuba!
- 2 Rainforest Question: Better to do a Tour or go on your own?
- 3 Bahamas Resort
- 4 Need Help..Large group, wedding?
- 5 Which country?
- 6 Seeking general advice on one-to-two-month Caribbean villa rental
- 7 Multiple flights in Caribbean
- 8 back to TCI, for 3rd time...
- 9 Antigua or St Martin
- 10 South Beach Hotel Barbados
- 11 Bequia or Virgin Gorda?
- 12 Is this Itinerary too ambitious???
- 13 A U.S. citizen's tour to Cuba
- 14 looking for rustic on the beach, north side
- 15 Planning possible retirement in USVI
- 16 St. Croix and sea grass
- 17 montego bay
- 18 Bermuda(I know it's not CB) or Turks
- 19 Better snorkeling - The Dominican Republic or Jamaica
- 20 Grocery Stores Near Sand Acres
- 21 Sailing Sabbatical Over -- Back from the Bahamas
- 22 BEWARE - St. Maarten Car Rental with Dollar/Thrifty Car Rental
- 23 St. Thomas Frenchman's Reef Marriot Resort - Need advice
- 24 My First Vacation Alone & First Vacation in 13 Years
- 25 Turtle Cove vs Grace Bay