Hello fellow Fodorites!
My wife and I are planning a 6 nights trip to USVI and BVI in Feb 2016 with our two daughters age 8 and 11. My itinerary is as follows:
Day 1: Arrive at Marriott Frenchman's Reef, St Thomas in the evening. Stay at the resort rest of the day
Day 2: Spend at least half the day at resort area (nearby beaches, pool area). Then if time permits, make a trip to Megan Bay
Day 3: Day trip to St John, back at Marriott Frenchman's by evening
Day 4: Ferry to Tortola, stay at Tortola/BVI (perhaps "Sebastian's on the beach")
Day 5: Stay at BVI
Day 6: Return to Marriott Frenchman's Reef, stay the night there
Day 7: Fly out of Charlotte Amalie
I had the following questions/concerns:
1) I have read on the forums that St.Thomas isn't safe and should rather be skipped. Should I rather stay at BVI or St John for the whole trip (though at this point there aren't many reasonable accommodation choices at those places). But while at St Thomas we don't have any intentions of hitting the bars or wandering around the streets late night. At most we would go to town for dinner or grocery.
2) For our trip to St John, can we rent a car at St John or do we have to rent at St Thomas and then take barge with car?
3) I feel one day may not be enough for St John. Perhaps I could make two day trips to St John from St Thomas (on Day 2 and Day 3 in the itinerary above).
4) Any thoughts/feedback on Sebastian's for our stay in Tortolla? I know it is small and dated but location is great (right at the beach).
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Restaurant Recommendations
- 2 Upcoming Cuba Trip
- 3 Havana City Walk - Travel Report
- 4 Tropical Island Trip HELP
- 5 Clear Calm Water Caribbean Destinations
- 6 Mosquitos in Guadeloupe
- 7 Choosing an island for summer vacation
- 8 Family Trip Recommendations: All inclusive, Fast Flight, 2 bedroom
- 9 Credit Card-Carrying US Independent Travelers Go to Cuba
- 10 40 min layover in CLT
- 11 Unwinding and Warming Up on Eleuthera
- 12 Atlantis 1 day
- 13 Atlantis on a budget
- 14 Restaurants in St. Croix
- 15 Great Exuma, Bahamas Trip report with Video
- 16 St. Barts
- 17 Buses in Aruba
- 18 Majestic Elegance PC-if you CAN'T get the adults-only butler section
- 19 Anyone have an experience at Excellence/Majestic Elegance in DR?
- 20 Stingray City Tour
- 21 Clear, alm, warm water and white sand :: April
- 22 Family Friendly Resort w/ Fam of 5 (+1?)
- 23 Bahama's outer island
- 24 Living permanently in the Caribbean
- 25 Family Caribbean vacation in the spring
Hello fellow Fodorites!