Just wanted to give a quick report on our trip to Virgin Gorda. We had a bit of a flight delay and missed our direct ferry out of St. Thomas, so we took a ferry to Road Town, Tortola, had a drink and a snack at Pusser’s (nothing to write home about) and, after a 1.5 hr layover, headed to VG. When we arrived at the ferry terminal, a gentleman from Mahogany rental car company met us, gave us our car, and took us to our place in Leverick Bay. He then went and found the people who had the keys (since the front office was closed) and then left. Great rental car company and very nice people at Mahogany.
The villa we had rented, Li’l Blue was really disappointing. Everything was seriously worn, things were not clean, shower drain cover was not on and was disgusting, fan and main light stopped working right when we got there, toilet ran all night, there was a glob of hair coming out from under the toilet brush….everything was nasty and I didn’t want to touch anything. I went to sleep right then, and kept not wanting to wake up in the morning, not wanting to see the place again! When morning came, I realized the view was amazing, but that wasn’t enough to keep me there: we packed our bags, called our travel agent and then went over to the front desk. To their credit, they were so very nice, apologized and refunded our money right away. They offered us another place on Leverick Bay but we didn’t want to stay there anymore. We drove around and looked at Guavaberry, which was very clean and then Nail Bay (all booked) and finally Mango Bay Resort, which we found very nice and decided to take. As it turned out, Mahoe Bay, which Mango Bay is on, is really one of the best places to stay on the island. The beach is excellent—and in our case, it was right outside our door, maybe 10 feet away—and the property was very nice. The rooms were clean and we had a great kitchen with everything required to make meals, a grill, and a nice living room. Everyone was super nice and left us alone, unless we needed something. Also, there were kayaks and floats and snorkeling gear to take. My only suggestion for improvement would be to put locks on the doors—the island is crime free so it’s not an issue but all the same, it was strange to me the first night, though I got used to it.
At Mango Bay, we met a lovely couple that we hung out with, who had also stayed at a Leverick Bay property (I think their suites) and had a similar experience as us (plus bed bugs) and were also refunded their money and then came and stayed at Mango Bay.
Food was sub-par everywhere on the island. Fat Virgin was my favorite and it was fun to take a boat ride over. We only ate four meals out and cooked at home or made sandwiches. There are two grocery stores, Rosy’s and Bucks. Rosy’s has more stuff and the prices are better. But if one has space I suggest taking some snacks and coffee and such with. We’d taken our coffee and some breakfast stuff and snacks and it all came in very handy.
We took the ferry back to St. Thomas the day before our flight and stayed at Wyndham for a night. It was fine for our purposes but VG was really more our style—clean, beautiful and not built-up. Hope this helps anyone who’s thinking of visiting. Thanks to all who helped us.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Best place to buy a vacation property I can also rent out...with a twist
- 2 Suggestions To Prevent A Sagging Face For Guys
- 3 Safest Islands for Us?
- 4 Does my dream vacation exist in the carribean
- 5 Thoughts on Green Turtle Cay?
- 6 My 35th Birthday In October With Just Me And My Homegurl
- 7 Which Caribbean Island Should I Visit?
- 8 Which is more suitable for a family holiday
- 9 Guadeloupe, Martinique or St Martin?
- 10 DIY Cuba - US Citizens - Havana + Viñales or Trinidad?
- 11 Narrowing it down
- 12 Help - 1 BR Suite, Lots of Kids Stuff, Good Food
- 13 Beaches, Turks Caicos/ Which village should we book?
- 14 Dominicana Punta Cana Diary
- 15 Best Island for steel drum music and relaxing?
- 16 Help us choose a waterpark resort in Punta Cana
- 17 Destination Wedding
- 18 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 19 Help us plan a laid back honeymoon
- 20 by ship from puerto rico to the AVI or BVI
- 21 barbados vs. Bonaire
- 22 Trip report: Woman solo travelling in Cuba
- 23 2 weeks in Cuba - to include Santiago/Baracoa or not?!
- 24 Proof of return to board a flight to jamaica.
- 25 mid December 2016 trip for 2