Just got back from Turks & Caicos
The island over all
The island is still fairly primitive in several ways. Very few street signs, tons of new contruction. The people are very very nice. Still fairly trashy overall. We saw several abondoned contruction projects and junked out cars are everywhere. I didnt hear the word timeshare the whole time I was there.
The water & beaches are awesome. The service in all the restaraunts are fairly slow. I believe it is just the island lifestyle. Most places took 20-30 minutes to get your check & change by the time you were done eating.
We had horrible weather, rain & wind so we didnt get to do as many activities as we wanted. Everyone said it was very unusual to get that kind of weather.
We drove to Taylor beach on the opposite side of the island twice as it was wind protected. It was hard to find the first time as there is no signs at all. There is an incredibly small place to park by a sign that says Ocean Point. This is a great place if you have any kids. We went out about 200 yards and still were only knee deep. Not much to see other then starfish which were pretty cool.
Grace Bay Grocery was like the grocery store in your hometown. Prices werent too far out of line.
We stayed at the Windsong. This was easily the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at. We booked a regular room for $2200 for 6 nights. What we got was a suite with a master bedroom, two bathrooms, laundy, full kitchen including cooking eating utensils, a living room that opened onto a patio that overlooked the pool and was about 30 yards from the beach.
It also came with free parking. We parked in the basement garage & was literally 10 feet from the elvevator. Free internet, and free continental breakfast.
The beach was a little narrow, but not bad at all. The reef was right in front of the beach about 20 ft. Hotel guests can rent snorkel gear for $5 a day.
The hotel restaraunt was awesome too!
Overall seemed pretty good. We ate at Bay Bistro, Jojo's (Windsong), Da Conch Shack, Pizza Pizza, Tiki Hut, Coco Bistro, Calico Jacks, Thai Orchid
1. Conch Crepe at Bay Bistro. Appetizer wow this was incredible
2. Seafood pasta at Calico Jacks. I expected a dish like this at one of the nicer rest, not a bar/rest.
3. Lobster at JoJo's (Windong)
4. Kitchen sink pizza at pizza pizza
5. cracked conch at Da Conch Shack
6. Both dishes at the Thai Orchid
1. Lobster at Bay Bistro. I never knew lobster could be so chewy
2. Conch two way at Coco Bistro. The shaved conch was served in a lime juice. It tasted like you were eating raw lime, couldnt taste anything else.
3. Bread Pudding at Coco Bistro. Cold bland and dry, my 10 yr old daughter makes much better.
Overall had a good time even with the bad weather. Not much to do at all though if the weather is bad so be prepared.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Questions about Moving to the Carribean
- 2 Being able to work in Trinidad and Tobago
- 3 Planning a trip to Jamaica for my daughter's graduation
- 4 Group Tour vs. Independent Travel for Havana Jazz Fest 2016
- 5 Travel to Cuba from US for Spanish citizens
- 6 Cat Island (Fernandez Bay Village) Trip Report
- 7 Gluten free restaurants in Bermuda
- 8 mid December 2016 trip for 2
- 9 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 10 Labor Day Weekend in Turks & Caicos
- 11 2 weeks in Cuba - to include Santiago/Baracoa or not?!
- 12 Photos and Trip Report, Follow up to "Looking for Luxury on Budget"
- 13 Which Caribbean Island Should I Visit?
- 14 Americans traveling to cuba with 9 year old
- 15 Looking for deep sea fishing, beaches, culture (ALL CARIBBEAN SUGGESTIONS)
- 16 Which Island visit, with which company ?
- 17 Bay Gardens Beach Resort Saint Lucia Trip Report October 2014
- 18 Casa Particular in Trinidad
- 19 USVI with Baby and Toddler - Advice required
- 20 Recommend Jamaican Fishing Charters
- 21 Negril vs. Montego Bay? Nightlife?
- 22 which island is best for fam vaca in july with teens
- 23 Turks and Caicos villas- Taylor Bay
- 24 Best Honeymoon All-inclusive Caribbean Vacation
- 25 all inclusive advice
Just got back from Turks & Caicos