We have relied extensively on trip reports and traveller's advice in planning our various holidays so am happy to reciprocate and offer this summary of our trip to Trinidad & Tobago 15-Oct through 30-Oct,
We spent the first 4 days on the north coast at Blanchisseuse and were greeted by hurricane Jose! It didn't hit Trinidad but gave us a lot of rain and took out the power for two days. It is a very lush and
beautiful area and our daughter enjoyed seeing the various plants (coffee, cocoa, bananna, etc) and animals (lizards). It is an
excellent place if you enjoy the outdoors and seeing the rainforest.
We stayed at the Marianne Beach Cottage which is right on the best beach in the area - it was rustic but a fraction of the cost of the
two alternatives (Laguna Mar Beach Resort and Surf's Resort). We paid TT$1000 which included our transfers to/from the airport in Port of Spain. The owner, Vincent James (868-674-7145) is exceptionally nice
and took extra care to ensure that we had a pleasant stay.
In Tobago we stayed at James Holiday Resort in Crown Point which was very comfortable and included a full kitchen but was quite noisy (due primarily to a water pump that screeched 24 hours/day at the vacant building next door - I checked but it couldn't be turned off). We enjoyed Store Bay Beach and Pigeon Point but the boat trip to Buccoo Reef was terrible. The water was quite rough and half the people got sick. Moreover, it was very sad to find that the coral is all dead and
the current was too strong to swim in let alone snorkle. We were extremely disappointed since we went to Tobago specifically for the
snorkling. We took a one day tour on the island stopping at Jemma's Treehouse restaurant, Speyside, Charlotteville, and the Argyle Waterfall. It is a beautiful island. We found, however, that there wasn't much choice of restaurants for dinner and the prices were very high (TT$150-200 per person). Then they add 15% VAT and 10% service charge and some still expected a tip on top of that!! We had an excellent dinner, albeit pricey, at Dillons Seafood Restaurant and the worst at the Tropikist. Several nights we just bought some food at the
mini mart and cooked our own dinner and one night we bought a pizza, which was quite good, from the Pizza place at the airport.
Back in Port of Spain for our last two days and we stayed at Carnetta's House & Inn in Maraval (868-628-2732) which we thoroughly
enjoyed and highly recommend (they also offerred a full dinner for TT $60/person which we thought was very reasonable) It was only a 10 minute taxi ride to downtown and we particularly enjoyed the zoo and botanical gardens. We also saw the President's House, Red House, and Magnificent Seven but did not get up to Fort George (we saw Fort St
George in Tobago). We did some shopping along Frederick Street and enjoyed going in to the various malls. The best deal is definitely
their cloth and, in particular, material for drapes and curtains.
Trinidad & Tobago Trip Report
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 St Thomas/Puerto Rico
- 2 Does anyone know of a house or condo to rent on or near the beach in Cuba
- 3 Family vacation with Teens/Tweens: Caymans, Bahamas, Belize, Costa Rica
- 4 St. Lucia or Antigua?
- 5 Beaches, Rainforest, Waterfalls- Can I have it all?
- 6 Bahamas or Republic of Panama
- 7 Warning-Grand Turk "Palm Grove Villas" a horrible experience!
- 8 Snorkeling In Close Proximity to Hotel
- 9 Cayman restaurant ?s
- 10 Grotto Bay Beach vs. Fairmont Southampton w/kids 6&7
- 11 Tortola & SADE villa rental
- 12 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 13 What is the best place in Turks & Caicos?
- 14 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 15 Punta Cana vs Santo Domingo, differences?
- 16 Best grocery shopping in St Thomas on way to Red Hook
- 17 Looking for luxury (but less developed) resort in Turks and Caicos
- 18 barbados advoce for family villa trip
- 19 short report: Barbados - is there anywhere this friendly?
- 20 Meditation and yoga Retreat in Caribbean or Costa Rica
- 21 Which island?
- 22 Cuba travel from Miami for US citizens
- 23 A week in TCI, and some questions
- 24 eighty+ travelers thinking of St. John
- 25 Resort hotels on St Croix