Definitely new to vacationing in the Carribean -- my two girlfriends and I are planning a trip in mid-April for my birthday and between researching package deals on Expedia to Cheapcarribean.com and reading lots of travel articles (written by who-knows-who) I've just gotten so confused and would like input from REAL people on where to go / stay / do / eat!
The following is a list (in order) of what we're looking for:
1. Safe, above-average hotel/resort, preferably an AI (for the convenience but we're definitely open to places where we can "taste the culture" but still affordable).
2. Ease of transport on the island (we would like to rent a car to go on day trips/go off the beaten path, and from reading horror stories about car rentals on SXM I'm a little terrified)
3. Beautiful beaches a given, yes, but it will be our first time on white sand and turquoise water and we want to be blown away~ we're open to places for snorkeling or day boating trips too
4. Nightlife!!! We're in our mid-twenties so we're past the Cabo-whoo-spring-break vibe, but would still like to keep the option of getting "ratchet" open if we'd like to Would love to go to a place where there are bars/clubs/lounges, maybe in the style of Vegas or Miami...?
5. Would like to keep away from super tourist-y places (staying away from places that sell made-in-china souvenirs), but still open to visiting museums, and other places that we could learn about the local culture
So far we've been leaning towards St. Martin--definitely drawn to the Dutch/French culture going on, pretty beaches but has the nightlife we are looking for (anyone been to Tantra? What should we expect? We laughed when we heard Drake was there haha).
Would that be a good fit for us? Any other islands that would meet our criteria? Thanks so much for hearing me out! Looking forward to all your suggestions
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Gluten free restaurants in Bermuda
- 2 mid December 2016 trip for 2
- 3 Travel to Cuba from US for Spanish citizens
- 4 Planning a trip to Jamaica for my daughter's graduation
- 5 Being able to work in Trinidad and Tobago
- 6 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 7 Labor Day Weekend in Turks & Caicos
- 8 2 weeks in Cuba - to include Santiago/Baracoa or not?!
- 9 Cat Island (Fernandez Bay Village) Trip Report
- 10 Photos and Trip Report, Follow up to "Looking for Luxury on Budget"
- 11 Which Caribbean Island Should I Visit?
- 12 Americans traveling to cuba with 9 year old
- 13 Looking for deep sea fishing, beaches, culture (ALL CARIBBEAN SUGGESTIONS)
- 14 Which Island visit, with which company ?
- 15 Bay Gardens Beach Resort Saint Lucia Trip Report October 2014
- 16 Group Tour vs. Independent Travel for Havana Jazz Fest 2016
- 17 Casa Particular in Trinidad
- 18 USVI with Baby and Toddler - Advice required
- 19 Recommend Jamaican Fishing Charters
- 20 Negril vs. Montego Bay? Nightlife?
- 21 which island is best for fam vaca in july with teens
- 22 Turks and Caicos villas- Taylor Bay
- 23 Best Honeymoon All-inclusive Caribbean Vacation
- 24 all inclusive advice
- 25 Thinking of Grand Cayman after years in Turks and Caicos