Definitely new to vacationing in the Carribean -- my two girlfriends and I are planning a trip in mid-April for my birthday and between researching package deals on Expedia to Cheapcarribean.com and reading lots of travel articles (written by who-knows-who) I've just gotten so confused and would like input from REAL people on where to go / stay / do / eat!
The following is a list (in order) of what we're looking for:
1. Safe, above-average hotel/resort, preferably an AI (for the convenience but we're definitely open to places where we can "taste the culture" but still affordable).
2. Ease of transport on the island (we would like to rent a car to go on day trips/go off the beaten path, and from reading horror stories about car rentals on SXM I'm a little terrified)
3. Beautiful beaches a given, yes, but it will be our first time on white sand and turquoise water and we want to be blown away~ we're open to places for snorkeling or day boating trips too
4. Nightlife!!! We're in our mid-twenties so we're past the Cabo-whoo-spring-break vibe, but would still like to keep the option of getting "ratchet" open if we'd like to Would love to go to a place where there are bars/clubs/lounges, maybe in the style of Vegas or Miami...?
5. Would like to keep away from super tourist-y places (staying away from places that sell made-in-china souvenirs), but still open to visiting museums, and other places that we could learn about the local culture
So far we've been leaning towards St. Martin--definitely drawn to the Dutch/French culture going on, pretty beaches but has the nightlife we are looking for (anyone been to Tantra? What should we expect? We laughed when we heard Drake was there haha).
Would that be a good fit for us? Any other islands that would meet our criteria? Thanks so much for hearing me out! Looking forward to all your suggestions
Totally new to the Carribean -- any suggestions?
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Help with choosing a Caribbean Island to visit in March
- 2 Must sell vaca pkg for 4-star St. James's Club Antigua, $700
- 3 Anguilla stay?
- 4 A U.S. citizen's tour to Cuba
- 5 Cayman Islands in October
- 6 Back from San Juan
- 7 Cheapest AI Deals for couple in 20s
- 8 Kristen- where are you?????
- 9 It's Excellent in the Exumas ~ A week on Staniel Cay (+ Atlantis)
- 10 Please suggest uncrowded Caribbean vacation for wheelchair user
- 11 Blamona- need a SCYC report!!
- 12 Luxury golf vacation in November
- 13 50th BIRTHDAY Home for 4 Couples
- 14 Is it a waste to go to St. Johns during late September?
- 15 Puerto Rico
- 16 Puerto Plata vacations or other place of Dominican Republic
- 17 Cuba People to People Tours
- 18 TCI Regent Grand vs. Venetian
- 19 4 warnings for the non-seasoned, naïve tourist about to go to St Martin.
- 20 relaxed beaches in january
- 21 Are you the new future traveler?
- 22 Mosquitoes - where are they NOT?
- 23 Wanted: St. Lucia Jan - March studio rental?
- 24 Who can advice a reliable tour operator to Dominican Republic?
- 25 St Martin rental car on ferry?