We finally got to take the new (?) auto ferry between St. Kitts (Major Bay) and Nevis (Cades Bay). The fun/fear is loading. Everybody backs into place on the deck. It is a fender bender waiting to happen. The ferry itself is not the one originally ordered. That went down in New Orleans during Katrina. This one is a non-commissioned WWII landing craft. The original idea of carrying 35 cars has been reduced to 10 cars per trip. The ferry leaves Nevis on the even hour and St. Kitts on the odd hour. They initially had their trouble getting their act together re: the timetable, but that seems to have worked out to being somewhat on schedule. The cost is $125.EC per car and driver round trip and $30EC per passenger round trip. ($1US=$2.8662) Major Bay is the end of St. Kitt's "turkey leg" so it is a 20 minute drive downtown. Unfortunately, having your own car in St. Kitts means that you don't have to lug everything back on the passenger ferries and that you can get to more stores each trip. We came back a bit poorer and with a full back seat. http://www.seabridgeskn.com What a great way for visitors to explore the sister islands.
the new Sea Bridge
View all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 50's mom + 19 yo son Mid-Jan vaca ideas
- 2 St Thomas Elysian or Secret Harbour
- 3 San Juan PR 1 night stay
- 4 month stay on a caribbean island
- 5 Ferry to Rum Point
- 6 Restaurant Reservations Needed in St. John?
- 7 Anniversary in May, need resort suggestions
- 8 Where to stay in Puerto Rico
- 9 Massages in Punta Cana (not in the resorts)
- 10 Islands with great nightlife
- 11 Family with infants/toddlers
- 12 Worst Vacation Ever - Sandals Antigua
- 13 typical question which island? St. Martin, Jamaica or TCI
- 14 Nevis or Turks and Caicos or St. Barths? Or somewhere else?
- 15 Should I rent a car in Aruba?
- 16 Jamaica property buying and selling
- 17 One day in Aruba/Our anniversary
- 18 4 warnings for the non-seasoned, naïve tourist about to go to St Martin.
- 19 Aruba vs. Turks & Caicos - June Honeymoon
- 20 St Martin - villa rental close to the beach
- 21 Day Sailing trips in St. Martin
- 22 What are Puerto Rico's best kept secrets?
- 23 Restaraunts in Barbados
- 24 Guadalupe France - Anyone been to French Immersion there?
- 25 Studying French in the Caribbean