We finally got to take the new (?) auto ferry between St. Kitts (Major Bay) and Nevis (Cades Bay). The fun/fear is loading. Everybody backs into place on the deck. It is a fender bender waiting to happen. The ferry itself is not the one originally ordered. That went down in New Orleans during Katrina. This one is a non-commissioned WWII landing craft. The original idea of carrying 35 cars has been reduced to 10 cars per trip. The ferry leaves Nevis on the even hour and St. Kitts on the odd hour. They initially had their trouble getting their act together re: the timetable, but that seems to have worked out to being somewhat on schedule. The cost is $125.EC per car and driver round trip and $30EC per passenger round trip. ($1US=$2.8662) Major Bay is the end of St. Kitt's "turkey leg" so it is a 20 minute drive downtown. Unfortunately, having your own car in St. Kitts means that you don't have to lug everything back on the passenger ferries and that you can get to more stores each trip. We came back a bit poorer and with a full back seat. http://www.seabridgeskn.com What a great way for visitors to explore the sister islands.
the new Sea Bridge
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Rincon Puerto Rico
- 2 Family vacation with Teens/Tweens: Caymans, Bahamas, Belize, Costa Rica
- 3 Advice needed
- 4 Our trip to Turks and Caicos
- 5 Is st.croix best for our family vacation with small children....
- 6 Grotto Bay Beach vs. Fairmont Southampton w/kids 6&7
- 7 July 4th in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico--go or no-go?
- 8 Bahamas or Republic of Panama
- 9 St Thomas/Puerto Rico
- 10 Does anyone know of a house or condo to rent on or near the beach in Cuba
- 11 St. Lucia or Antigua?
- 12 Beaches, Rainforest, Waterfalls- Can I have it all?
- 13 Warning-Grand Turk "Palm Grove Villas" a horrible experience!
- 14 Snorkeling In Close Proximity to Hotel
- 15 Cayman restaurant ?s
- 16 Tortola & SADE villa rental
- 17 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 18 What is the best place in Turks & Caicos?
- 19 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 20 Punta Cana vs Santo Domingo, differences?
- 21 Best grocery shopping in St Thomas on way to Red Hook
- 22 Looking for luxury (but less developed) resort in Turks and Caicos
- 23 barbados advoce for family villa trip
- 24 short report: Barbados - is there anywhere this friendly?
- 25 Meditation and yoga Retreat in Caribbean or Costa Rica