We finally got to take the new (?) auto ferry between St. Kitts (Major Bay) and Nevis (Cades Bay). The fun/fear is loading. Everybody backs into place on the deck. It is a fender bender waiting to happen. The ferry itself is not the one originally ordered. That went down in New Orleans during Katrina. This one is a non-commissioned WWII landing craft. The original idea of carrying 35 cars has been reduced to 10 cars per trip. The ferry leaves Nevis on the even hour and St. Kitts on the odd hour. They initially had their trouble getting their act together re: the timetable, but that seems to have worked out to being somewhat on schedule. The cost is $125.EC per car and driver round trip and $30EC per passenger round trip. ($1US=$2.8662) Major Bay is the end of St. Kitt's "turkey leg" so it is a 20 minute drive downtown. Unfortunately, having your own car in St. Kitts means that you don't have to lug everything back on the passenger ferries and that you can get to more stores each trip. We came back a bit poorer and with a full back seat. http://www.seabridgeskn.com What a great way for visitors to explore the sister islands.
the new Sea Bridge
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 St John March, where to stay
- 2 The right adults-only resort
- 3 Turks and Caicos - Best Time to Book Accomodation
- 4 Cuba - Questions about Phone/Internet/Currency
- 5 Jamaica vs. Barbados
- 6 1st time to Caribbean/Turks & Caicos - suggestions
- 7 Cupecoy Beach
- 8 Tips for bahamas
- 9 Vacation Ideas
- 10 St. Martin/Nevis Trip Report
- 11 Seven Mile Beach Questions
- 12 First time to Puerto Rico need advise please
- 13 condo / villa with kids, on the beach
- 14 My trip report from 10/23 - 11/1/14 - St. John USVI's
- 15 Bay Gardens Beach Hotel in St Lucia
- 16 Barbados with two kids under 4.
- 17 walkable hotels
- 18 Colony Club Barbados OR Sandals Great Exuma Bahamas????
- 19 Back from San Juan
- 20 St Thomas
- 21 Cheapest excursions in Punta Cana?
- 22 St Thomas need condo advice and trip plans
- 23 Grenada - Coyaba vs. Flamboyant
- 24 Aruba Restaurants
- 25 Aruba Restaraunts