We finally got to take the new (?) auto ferry between St. Kitts (Major Bay) and Nevis (Cades Bay). The fun/fear is loading. Everybody backs into place on the deck. It is a fender bender waiting to happen. The ferry itself is not the one originally ordered. That went down in New Orleans during Katrina. This one is a non-commissioned WWII landing craft. The original idea of carrying 35 cars has been reduced to 10 cars per trip. The ferry leaves Nevis on the even hour and St. Kitts on the odd hour. They initially had their trouble getting their act together re: the timetable, but that seems to have worked out to being somewhat on schedule. The cost is $125.EC per car and driver round trip and $30EC per passenger round trip. ($1US=$2.8662) Major Bay is the end of St. Kitt's "turkey leg" so it is a 20 minute drive downtown. Unfortunately, having your own car in St. Kitts means that you don't have to lug everything back on the passenger ferries and that you can get to more stores each trip. We came back a bit poorer and with a full back seat. http://www.seabridgeskn.com What a great way for visitors to explore the sister islands.
the new Sea Bridge
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Best island for family of 5 (kids-21,18,16) end of June/early July?
- 2 Best island for a villa rental
- 3 Snorkeling In Close Proximity to Hotel
- 4 A Volcanic Paradise
- 5 Destination Wedding Planning: DR, Jamaica, Virgin Islands, or Barbados
- 6 First time visit to Turks & Caicos -- would love advice on the island!!
- 7 Where to stay on Vieques
- 8 BUSINESSES FOR SALE
- 9 St. Croix and sea grass
- 10 Out islands of the Bahamas. Exumas? Abaco?
- 11 Vacation Review: Topic Follow-Up
- 12 Out islands, Bahamas referral
- 13 Guide to Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas
- 14 Dinner or Cocktail Sailing Cruise in Bermuda?
- 15 Best places for Honeymoon!!
- 16 Tipping at AI
- 17 Having trouble finding nonstop flights from Boston
- 18 Traveling Solo
- 19 What happened to the Maho Bay Campground property on St. John?
- 20 Best Singles Vacation 35-50 in Caribbean
- 21 Turks & Caicos - no kids
- 22 Anniversary Cruise Struggling with Excursions
- 23 Food at Cove Eleuthera
- 24 St. Kitts, the details
- 25 which Caribbean Islands don't have a big stray animal problem