Take it from a real local!
When I read the entry NOT TO GO TO CURACAO by some disappointed Curacao visitors I could not resist sending a reply:
As a real islander girl (born & raised on Curacao, speak 4 languages fluently, educated in Holland and graduated from a reputable University in NYC where I also worked and volunteered in numerous soup kitchens for the homeless for 5 years!) I know that most of our American visitors have the wrong perception of Curacao. They think our island should have the “typical” Caribbean Island things like: -must have long sandy stretched beach (we are very proud of our 37 small natural beaches), must have the friendliest & best service 24/7 etc, etc. But do not forget that we are also hard working human beings who are doing our utmost best to improve our product Curacao. Most Americans do not realize that our tourism industry has never been the island’s first source of income (refinery & financial services), meaning that the tourism sector is pretty “new” to us, and saying that “we’re not there yet!” This however should not be an excuse for our people to be rude or give lousy service, but please consider our background before judging us. Please help us by giving us positive criticism and have some patience. Try speaking some “Papiamentu” words like: “Bon Dia” (good morning) or “Dushi” (sweetheart) and I can guarantee you that our locals will love it and that you will see that our people are beautiful inside & out. In the mean time I suggest that all Americans should come to Curacao and experience our REAL DIFFERENT Dushi Curacao at least once in their lifetime!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Looking for island choice help
- 2 Help on choosing where to visit
- 3 Transfers to Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic
- 4 Best child-friendly resort in the Caribbean?
- 5 when to visit barbados
- 6 Guadeloupe, Martinique or St Martin?
- 7 Belize vs Bonaire for snorkeling?
- 8 So is Bonaire great? Or not??
- 9 40th birthday with friends
- 10 which island?
- 11 Cheapest excursions in Punta Cana?
- 12 Renaissance Carambola St. Croix
- 13 Cruise from NYC to Bermuda
- 14 What to do in Jamaica besides beach?
- 15 Sailboat charter through the British Virgin Islands
- 16 Caribbean Island hopping - tips & ideas?
- 17 Help me choose an all-inclusive resort
- 18 Help me narrow down island for 20th anniversary trip
- 19 Cuba in November
- 20 Which Caribbean Island Should I Visit?
- 21 planning to sail the Caribbean
- 22 Bonaire Flight Issue/Travelocity
- 23 DIY Cuba - US Citizens - Havana + Viñales or Trinidad?
- 24 Question about Long Term Rentals
- 25 san salvador bahamas - trip report
Take it from a real local!