Take it from a real local!
When I read the entry NOT TO GO TO CURACAO by some disappointed Curacao visitors I could not resist sending a reply:
As a real islander girl (born & raised on Curacao, speak 4 languages fluently, educated in Holland and graduated from a reputable University in NYC where I also worked and volunteered in numerous soup kitchens for the homeless for 5 years!) I know that most of our American visitors have the wrong perception of Curacao. They think our island should have the “typical” Caribbean Island things like: -must have long sandy stretched beach (we are very proud of our 37 small natural beaches), must have the friendliest & best service 24/7 etc, etc. But do not forget that we are also hard working human beings who are doing our utmost best to improve our product Curacao. Most Americans do not realize that our tourism industry has never been the island’s first source of income (refinery & financial services), meaning that the tourism sector is pretty “new” to us, and saying that “we’re not there yet!” This however should not be an excuse for our people to be rude or give lousy service, but please consider our background before judging us. Please help us by giving us positive criticism and have some patience. Try speaking some “Papiamentu” words like: “Bon Dia” (good morning) or “Dushi” (sweetheart) and I can guarantee you that our locals will love it and that you will see that our people are beautiful inside & out. In the mean time I suggest that all Americans should come to Curacao and experience our REAL DIFFERENT Dushi Curacao at least once in their lifetime!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 PR or USVI
- 2 Which island should we visit? Non-windy beach + all-inclusive?
- 3 Which Caribbean island?
- 4 Luxury Hotel off the beaten path celebration?
- 5 Cuba, March 2017, what an experience!
- 6 Turks and Caicos/ Beaches/ Restaurants
- 7 Punta Cana; Bavaro Beach area, Dom. Rep.
- 8 SWIMMING AND FOOD...WHICH ISLAND TO CHOOSE?
- 9 Barbados hotel in St. James
- 10 5 days in Havana
- 11 Puerto Rico Itinerary help
- 12 Where to look for a villa on Bermuda with private staff
- 13 which Caribbean Islands don't have a big stray animal problem
- 14 Using USA credit cards in Cuba
- 15 Ten reasons you might not want to visit Cuba
- 16 resorts for age 50-60 wedding anniversary
- 17 Day trip FROM Anguilla
- 18 10 pm arrival St. Maarten
- 19 Scrub Island Resort
- 20 Caribbean Vacation Advice
- 21 St. Lucia Villa Recommendations
- 22 Wedding Destinations???
- 23 Grand Cayman Westin or Kimpton
- 24 Down to two in January have we got it right
- 25 Where to stay in Barbados July 1-11
Take it from a real local!