Take it from a real local!
When I read the entry NOT TO GO TO CURACAO by some disappointed Curacao visitors I could not resist sending a reply:
As a real islander girl (born & raised on Curacao, speak 4 languages fluently, educated in Holland and graduated from a reputable University in NYC where I also worked and volunteered in numerous soup kitchens for the homeless for 5 years!) I know that most of our American visitors have the wrong perception of Curacao. They think our island should have the “typical” Caribbean Island things like: -must have long sandy stretched beach (we are very proud of our 37 small natural beaches), must have the friendliest & best service 24/7 etc, etc. But do not forget that we are also hard working human beings who are doing our utmost best to improve our product Curacao. Most Americans do not realize that our tourism industry has never been the island’s first source of income (refinery & financial services), meaning that the tourism sector is pretty “new” to us, and saying that “we’re not there yet!” This however should not be an excuse for our people to be rude or give lousy service, but please consider our background before judging us. Please help us by giving us positive criticism and have some patience. Try speaking some “Papiamentu” words like: “Bon Dia” (good morning) or “Dushi” (sweetheart) and I can guarantee you that our locals will love it and that you will see that our people are beautiful inside & out. In the mean time I suggest that all Americans should come to Curacao and experience our REAL DIFFERENT Dushi Curacao at least once in their lifetime!
Take it from a real Curacao girl!
Take it from a real local!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Honeymoon Help- Caribbean Destination with Walk-in Snorkeling & Nightlife
- 2 LIAT Air
- 3 DIY Wedding for Two – Can I pull this off without a Wedding Planner?
- 4 Antigua - First Trip - Which Beach and Which Bed ?
- 5 cheapest christmas airfare by destination
- 6 Restaraunts & Rental Cars in Aruba
- 7 Lobster, Heat & Banged Up Feet - Another Awesome Exumas Adventure
- 8 Holiday Trip to the Caribbean - Need advice!
- 9 Aruba suggestions
- 10 Punta Cana Excursions with Teen
- 11 Fishermans Ree Resort
- 12 Dominican Republic - Closures, Limitations Over Easter Weekend
- 13 Van rental for 8 in Puerto Rico
- 14 Cuba in 10 days
- 15 Salt Kettle House to close
- 16 Best snorkeling in the Caribbean (not St. John or Grand Cayman)???
- 17 Hotel recommendations for 1 night on Tortola?
- 18 Best luxury resort on grace bay Turks and Caicos
- 19 7 days solo...Cuba or Puerto Rico, guys???
- 20 Ideas for Caribbean AI for anniversary next July?
- 21 Trinidad or Tobago?
- 22 Early November, Water Bungalows, Excellend Medical Facilities
- 23 Are there restaurants/grocery near Rum Point on Grand Cayman?
- 24 tourist opinion for trips to the Bahamas
- 25 Why Barbados?