Take it from a real local!
When I read the entry NOT TO GO TO CURACAO by some disappointed Curacao visitors I could not resist sending a reply:
As a real islander girl (born & raised on Curacao, speak 4 languages fluently, educated in Holland and graduated from a reputable University in NYC where I also worked and volunteered in numerous soup kitchens for the homeless for 5 years!) I know that most of our American visitors have the wrong perception of Curacao. They think our island should have the “typical” Caribbean Island things like: -must have long sandy stretched beach (we are very proud of our 37 small natural beaches), must have the friendliest & best service 24/7 etc, etc. But do not forget that we are also hard working human beings who are doing our utmost best to improve our product Curacao. Most Americans do not realize that our tourism industry has never been the island’s first source of income (refinery & financial services), meaning that the tourism sector is pretty “new” to us, and saying that “we’re not there yet!” This however should not be an excuse for our people to be rude or give lousy service, but please consider our background before judging us. Please help us by giving us positive criticism and have some patience. Try speaking some “Papiamentu” words like: “Bon Dia” (good morning) or “Dushi” (sweetheart) and I can guarantee you that our locals will love it and that you will see that our people are beautiful inside & out. In the mean time I suggest that all Americans should come to Curacao and experience our REAL DIFFERENT Dushi Curacao at least once in their lifetime!
Take it from a real Curacao girl!
Take it from a real local!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Too many choices.....
- 2 Anyone found a cruise comparable to Windjammer Barefoot Cruise experience?
- 3 Lobster, Heat & Banged Up Feet - Another Awesome Exumas Adventure
- 4 Best Island for Me?
- 5 Best caribbean island to suit us.
- 6 Where to visit from San Juan for grown ups + family vacation?
- 7 Cayman Islands in April for 7 days
- 8 Best island for Christmas vacation with 4 teenage girls
- 9 Cuba with Gate 1
- 10 Anguilla stay?
- 11 Why Barbados?
- 12 It's Excellent in the Exumas ~ A week on Staniel Cay (+ Atlantis)
- 13 Back from San Juan
- 14 Bermuda visit in Sept. - 1st time
- 15 San Juan Airport
- 16 Help with choosing a Caribbean Island to visit in March
- 17 TCI Small group snorkle trip?
- 18 Club Med Columbus Isle, Bahamas or Beaches Negril, Jamaica
- 19 Resort hotels on St Croix
- 20 Storm ?
- 21 Fun island to take 17 year olds
- 22 All Inclusive Villa for Bachelor Party
- 23 Finally Exumas trip report with pictures
- 24 Kristen- where are you?????
- 25 Colony Club Barbados OR Sandals Great Exuma Bahamas????