Take it from a real local!
When I read the entry NOT TO GO TO CURACAO by some disappointed Curacao visitors I could not resist sending a reply:
As a real islander girl (born & raised on Curacao, speak 4 languages fluently, educated in Holland and graduated from a reputable University in NYC where I also worked and volunteered in numerous soup kitchens for the homeless for 5 years!) I know that most of our American visitors have the wrong perception of Curacao. They think our island should have the “typical” Caribbean Island things like: -must have long sandy stretched beach (we are very proud of our 37 small natural beaches), must have the friendliest & best service 24/7 etc, etc. But do not forget that we are also hard working human beings who are doing our utmost best to improve our product Curacao. Most Americans do not realize that our tourism industry has never been the island’s first source of income (refinery & financial services), meaning that the tourism sector is pretty “new” to us, and saying that “we’re not there yet!” This however should not be an excuse for our people to be rude or give lousy service, but please consider our background before judging us. Please help us by giving us positive criticism and have some patience. Try speaking some “Papiamentu” words like: “Bon Dia” (good morning) or “Dushi” (sweetheart) and I can guarantee you that our locals will love it and that you will see that our people are beautiful inside & out. In the mean time I suggest that all Americans should come to Curacao and experience our REAL DIFFERENT Dushi Curacao at least once in their lifetime!
Take it from a real Curacao girl!
Take it from a real local!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Advice needed
- 2 St Thomas/Puerto Rico
- 3 Rincon Puerto Rico
- 4 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 5 Family vacation with Teens/Tweens: Caymans, Bahamas, Belize, Costa Rica
- 6 Our trip to Turks and Caicos
- 7 Is st.croix best for our family vacation with small children....
- 8 Grotto Bay Beach vs. Fairmont Southampton w/kids 6&7
- 9 July 4th in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico--go or no-go?
- 10 Bahamas or Republic of Panama
- 11 Does anyone know of a house or condo to rent on or near the beach in Cuba
- 12 St. Lucia or Antigua?
- 13 Beaches, Rainforest, Waterfalls- Can I have it all?
- 14 Warning-Grand Turk "Palm Grove Villas" a horrible experience!
- 15 Snorkeling In Close Proximity to Hotel
- 16 Cayman restaurant ?s
- 17 Tortola & SADE villa rental
- 18 What is the best place in Turks & Caicos?
- 19 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 20 Punta Cana vs Santo Domingo, differences?
- 21 Best grocery shopping in St Thomas on way to Red Hook
- 22 Looking for luxury (but less developed) resort in Turks and Caicos
- 23 barbados advoce for family villa trip
- 24 short report: Barbados - is there anywhere this friendly?
- 25 Meditation and yoga Retreat in Caribbean or Costa Rica