Hello Fellow Fodorites,
My wife and I just returned from a great week in St. Kitts, and I thank you all once again for your input. Here's what we did;
Stayed at the Timothy Beach Resort, which was in an excellent location right on the beach, walking distance to the beach bars/restaurants, and only about a 20 minute walk to the Marriott and the Atlantic ocean, and several other nice restaurants. Night time was festive, with live reggae and steel band music. In addition to swimming, snorkeling and relaxing on the beach, we visited the capital of Basseterre. On another day we rented a car(Avis)and visited Romney Manor and Gardens, Caribelle Batik factory, the few sugar works ruins on the Wingfield Estate, and the Brimstone Hill Fortress. We also drove along part of the beautiful eastern penninsula area, in search of the turn-off for White House Bay(we never found it that day, and the total lack of signs didn't help!)We did however, see quite a few goats, cows and vervet monkeys along the road. Some of them appeared to be just hanging out, admiring the incredible views - as we were.
I went scuba diving(Coconut Tree Reef and the wreck of the River Taw), which was excellent. (I held off on telling my wife about the Nurse Shark we saw, until later in the day.) On another morning, we took a snorkeling tour out to White House Bay, and saw an old tugboat wreck and 5 cannons from the 1700's. The tour also included a stop at Ballast Bay reef. On another day, we hiked through the rainforest with Greg's Safaris. Our final day was spent on Nevis, and in addition to walking around Charlestown and along Pinney's beach, we arranged a hike into the woodlands of the Mt. Lilly area, to explore several ruins from the 1600's. An added treat(to some members of our group, anyway)was a brief entry into a bat cave. We had a great time, and welcome any and all questions - whilst the trip is still fresh in my mind.
St. Kitts Trip Report
Hello Fellow Fodorites,
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Rincon Puerto Rico
- 2 Family vacation with Teens/Tweens: Caymans, Bahamas, Belize, Costa Rica
- 3 Advice needed
- 4 Our trip to Turks and Caicos
- 5 Is st.croix best for our family vacation with small children....
- 6 Grotto Bay Beach vs. Fairmont Southampton w/kids 6&7
- 7 July 4th in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico--go or no-go?
- 8 Bahamas or Republic of Panama
- 9 St Thomas/Puerto Rico
- 10 Does anyone know of a house or condo to rent on or near the beach in Cuba
- 11 St. Lucia or Antigua?
- 12 Beaches, Rainforest, Waterfalls- Can I have it all?
- 13 Warning-Grand Turk "Palm Grove Villas" a horrible experience!
- 14 Snorkeling In Close Proximity to Hotel
- 15 Cayman restaurant ?s
- 16 Tortola & SADE villa rental
- 17 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 18 What is the best place in Turks & Caicos?
- 19 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 20 Punta Cana vs Santo Domingo, differences?
- 21 Best grocery shopping in St Thomas on way to Red Hook
- 22 Looking for luxury (but less developed) resort in Turks and Caicos
- 23 barbados advoce for family villa trip
- 24 short report: Barbados - is there anywhere this friendly?
- 25 Meditation and yoga Retreat in Caribbean or Costa Rica