i was about to book a trip to st john and was concerned when i started reading about the recent increase in crime and home invasions. I have traveled to a few places in the Caribbean before like Aruba, St Lucia, and Playa Del Carmen and i understand that these places are relatively safe but there is always an element of crime to be wary of. I live just 2 miles outside of NYC and have lived in the shadow of NYC all my life.. so i am aware of my surroundings and how best to avoid street crime. However, home invasions are a different story. It sounds like a crew of thugs seem to know its easy to break into many of these rentals and threaten unarmed tourists and get away with it.
While it seems odds are unlikely it will happen to you (divide the number of home invasion victims over all the visitors to St John over the past few years and you will get a very low % I'm sure). i think we can be certain it will happen again.
With that being said, does anyone know if these burglaries / home invasions ever occurred on the resort properties like Caneel Bay or the Westin? These are the locations i am looking at and i was wondering if additional security is provided here. Do these burglaries only occur in the villa rentals scattered throughout town and the outskirts of town.
hoping for some insight to this issue..
Read more: http://www.frommers.com/community/forum.cfm/caribbean-atlantic/virgin-islands/st-john-safetycrime-westin-caneel-bay/.0#ixzz1n8sVC8Wx
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Vacation recommendations
- 2 What island for a solo female traveler to the Caribbean
- 3 St. Thomas or Turks and Caicos in October?
- 4 BVI trip questions
- 5 Curaçao and girls?
- 6 Small Carribean Hotel
- 7 Canadian Travel Agent for Cuba hotels
- 8 Punta Cana Excursions
- 9 customs questions
- 10 Turks and Caicos or St. Thomas in October?
- 11 Nassau Bahamas
- 12 Biking in Caribbean
- 13 Best Quiet Peacfull Island to Rent a Vacation Home?
- 14 Which Island for Travelling Without a Resort?
- 15 Two Highly Recommended Tour Companies for Travel to Cuba
- 16 Help with how long on each island.
- 17 Travel from Culebra to St. John
- 18 Puerto Rico from Ponce to Arecibo
- 19 Average prices for taxis in Havana
- 20 Honeymoon All Inclusive
- 21 Christmas in the Caribbean
- 22 Where to go January beach bachelorette?
- 23 St. Lucia to Puerto Rico
- 24 Hiking in St. John
- 25 The Crane Resort - Stay Away!!!