My husband and I would like to take a trip to the Caribbean in mid June and stay in a villa but the more I look the more I get confused about where to go. We are in our late 40's, early 50's and we would like a bit of activity while on vacation.. Mainly we like to spend time around the beach and pool area, we love good food, enjoy a bit of shopping, enjoy snorkeling and doing some interesting things while on the island of our choice. A nice cocktail is a must also!
We are looking at the following islands: Aruba, Anguilla, St. Martin, Turks and Caicos and Grand Cayman. My dilema is we do enjoy relaxing but would like something else to do while we vacation. Is Anguilla to boring for us? i know they have fabulous beaches but is that it? St. Martin seems to have a variety of activities but I worry about our safety there. Is there a reason for concern? Aruba seems to fit the bill for great beaches, activity, good food choices but is it too commercialized? Also I saw some pics of baby beach and there were oil refinery smoke stacks not far off to the right of the beach. Major turnoff wouldn't you think? That leaves me with Turks and Caicos and Grand Cayman. From the pics I have seen of both the water and beaches they both seem to be some of the most beautiful that I have seen. I love shallow beaches and T&C definitely fits the bill for this. My concern with these two islands is again, are they too dull and boring outside of the beach and water activities? Any shopping in either of these places? How about the food? I guess I can't have it all but beings this is my first trip to the Caribbean I would really like to make it special and have a great time. For all of you seasoned travelers can you give me any advice on which one to choose or can you tell me your experience while visiting any of the islands I have mentioned? I have to decide soon but honestly I just don't know which one will make for a happy trip. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Puerto Rico Trip Report - May, 2015
- 2 Island with golf
- 3 4 warnings for the non-seasoned, naïve tourist about to go to St Martin.
- 4 During times of need, let us donate for Nepal earthquake victims
- 5 St Thomas vs Puerto Rico
- 6 Location for 40th birthday celebration with friends
- 7 St. Martin/St. Maarten
- 8 We've done it - we've bought our flights to Cuba. Now the planning begins!
- 9 travelling to St kitt and nervis
- 10 45th Birthday Celebration-Help!
- 11 Choosing an island
- 12 Reduit Beach is being ruined
- 13 Seek Advice on 9 days in Samana and possibly Cabarete
- 14 Cabarete & Las Canas, DR: Where can I get info?
- 15 cabarete, dominican republic
- 16 First time Santo Domingo
- 17 20th anniversary
- 18 St. Bart's
- 19 Bahamas girls trip
- 20 Advice on choosing an island...
- 21 What is the best Caribbean island for white sandy beaches
- 22 American Express Card in Bermuda
- 23 Grand Cayman January
- 24 Martinique Blog
- 25 Why don't more Fodorites consider St Croix?
So confused, too many islands. Need advice from frequent travelers....