My family in I are in the planning stages of a caribbean vacation. I will be in my second trimester of pregnancy so I am a little more prone to food born illness, etc. We are considering the following islands: Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and Aruba. We considered Mexico (cancun or playa del carmen) but I am a little hesitant due to the water issue. We've been there before and last time I had a little GI upset and I didn't drink the water so maybe it was due to fruit that was washed there (or maybe not washed, who knows!). I know the resorts are supposed to have filtered water but I am still a little hesitant. That being said, are there any islands that the water is considered "safer". Or what precautions can I take other than strictly drinking bottled water? The things that I think of are fruit, ice, etc. We want the stereotypical turquoise blue waters of the Caribbean. We stayed in Riveria Maya last Caribbean vacation and were really disappointed with the beach since turtle grass was blooming. The ocean water was murky and yucky. Any tips, recommendations are appreciated! Thanks to all the more experienced travelers!
Pregnant & where can I drink the water & not be worried?
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Back from San Juan
- 2 Looking for South-to-North options/routes/price estimates.
- 3 Cupecoy Beach
- 4 Looking for small hotel/inn within 4 hrs. nonstop flight from New York
- 5 Vacation Ideas
- 6 Turks and Caicos - Best Time to Book Accomodation
- 7 Anyone found a cruise comparable to Windjammer Barefoot Cruise experience?
- 8 Carry on size Bahamas
- 9 St John March, where to stay
- 10 The right adults-only resort
- 11 Cuba - Questions about Phone/Internet/Currency
- 12 Jamaica vs. Barbados
- 13 1st time to Caribbean/Turks & Caicos - suggestions
- 14 Tips for bahamas
- 15 St. Martin/Nevis Trip Report
- 16 Seven Mile Beach Questions
- 17 First time to Puerto Rico need advise please
- 18 condo / villa with kids, on the beach
- 19 My trip report from 10/23 - 11/1/14 - St. John USVI's
- 20 Bay Gardens Beach Hotel in St Lucia
- 21 Barbados with two kids under 4.
- 22 walkable hotels
- 23 Colony Club Barbados OR Sandals Great Exuma Bahamas????
- 24 St Thomas
- 25 Cheapest excursions in Punta Cana?