My family in I are in the planning stages of a caribbean vacation. I will be in my second trimester of pregnancy so I am a little more prone to food born illness, etc. We are considering the following islands: Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and Aruba. We considered Mexico (cancun or playa del carmen) but I am a little hesitant due to the water issue. We've been there before and last time I had a little GI upset and I didn't drink the water so maybe it was due to fruit that was washed there (or maybe not washed, who knows!). I know the resorts are supposed to have filtered water but I am still a little hesitant. That being said, are there any islands that the water is considered "safer". Or what precautions can I take other than strictly drinking bottled water? The things that I think of are fruit, ice, etc. We want the stereotypical turquoise blue waters of the Caribbean. We stayed in Riveria Maya last Caribbean vacation and were really disappointed with the beach since turtle grass was blooming. The ocean water was murky and yucky. Any tips, recommendations are appreciated! Thanks to all the more experienced travelers!
Pregnant & where can I drink the water & not be worried?
View all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Last Minute Urgent Advice for "my best beach vacation ever"
- 2 Where to stay in Puerto Rico
- 3 Anniversary in May, need resort suggestions
- 4 Restaurant Reservations Needed in St. John?
- 5 San Juan PR 1 night stay
- 6 50's mom + 19 yo son Mid-Jan vaca ideas
- 7 Islands with great nightlife
- 8 month stay on a caribbean island
- 9 St Thomas Elysian or Secret Harbour
- 10 Where to stay on Vieques
- 11 Ferry to Rum Point
- 12 Massages in Punta Cana (not in the resorts)
- 13 Family with infants/toddlers
- 14 Worst Vacation Ever - Sandals Antigua
- 15 typical question which island? St. Martin, Jamaica or TCI
- 16 Nevis or Turks and Caicos or St. Barths? Or somewhere else?
- 17 Should I rent a car in Aruba?
- 18 Jamaica property buying and selling
- 19 One day in Aruba/Our anniversary
- 20 4 warnings for the non-seasoned, naïve tourist about to go to St Martin.
- 21 Aruba vs. Turks & Caicos - June Honeymoon
- 22 St Martin - villa rental close to the beach
- 23 Day Sailing trips in St. Martin
- 24 What are Puerto Rico's best kept secrets?
- 25 Restaraunts in Barbados