My fiance and I are getting married on December 29, 2012, and we'd like to head off on our honeymoon the very next day. (Travel dates would be December 30, 2012 - January 6, 2013.)
Ideal requirements: *Warm/hot weather (comfortable swimming at beaches and pools), *safety (we can put our Kindles under a towel and go into the water without worrying about theft), *relative peace and quiet with some opportunities for fun if we get bored (bars, games, casino, etc.), and *nonstop flight (from Orlando). Budget is $3K - $4K.
After a TON of research, I realized this leaves Jamaica (into Montego Bay) and Mexico (into Cancun). The Bahamas don't seem to have a high-enough air and water temp at this time of year. There's a nonstop from Orlando to Aruba, but it's Saturdays only, and neither of us wants to go back to work for a week after the wedding.
My first instinct was Jamaica (Negril). However, because it's over a holiday (New Year's), a lot of affordable places with great reviews are already booked (Rockhouse, Tensing Pen, Sunset at the Palms, Citronella to name a few). So I'm down to: Coco La Palm, Couples Swept Away, Country Country, Bananas Shout, and Idle Awhile. Another option is Jake's in Treasure Beach, which looks AWESOME (and their guest services people have been fantastic!), but I'm worried about it not being a swimmable beach (and the drive isn't ideal, but I'm less worried about that). Any thoughts/warnings/suggestions?
I haven't really had time to look into Mexico, but I think Playa del Carmen and/or Riviera Maya could be fun for us, too (not really feeling the hotel zone of Cancun, though). We don't speak Spanish, however, and I'm not sure if that's a problem.
I would be extremely grateful for any and all opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Caribbean Island hopping - tips & ideas?
- 2 DIY Cuba - US Citizens - Havana + Viñales or Trinidad?
- 3 you truly Jack Hammer Xl wish to inspire the sentiment sexual
- 4 http://www.musclesupplement.org/alpha-boost-scam/
- 5 Cuba in November
- 6 Question about Long Term Rentals
- 7 Renaissance Carambola St. Croix
- 8 san salvador bahamas - trip report
- 9 Help me narrow down island for 20th anniversary trip
- 10 2 weeks in Cuba - to include Santiago/Baracoa or not?!
- 11 Tennis in Aruba question
- 12 christmas in the caribbean
- 13 Anguilla Trip Report & Photos 6/26-7/3 2016
- 14 Trip report: Woman solo travelling in Cuba
- 15 Guadeloupe - January 2017
- 16 Marriott Courtyard Junkanoo Beach Nassau
- 17 Jamaica
- 18 Money in Jamaica
- 19 Aruba trip report (first time visitors)
- 20 Anguilla Trip Report (6/26-7/3) AND a New Identity
- 21 Where to stay on the Gold Coast
- 22 Atlantis in Nassau
- 23 Off Beaten Path from Atlantis
- 24 10 Great Days in Guadeloupe
- 25 My week in Guadeloupe