My fiance and I are getting married on December 29, 2012, and we'd like to head off on our honeymoon the very next day. (Travel dates would be December 30, 2012 - January 6, 2013.)
Ideal requirements: *Warm/hot weather (comfortable swimming at beaches and pools), *safety (we can put our Kindles under a towel and go into the water without worrying about theft), *relative peace and quiet with some opportunities for fun if we get bored (bars, games, casino, etc.), and *nonstop flight (from Orlando). Budget is $3K - $4K.
After a TON of research, I realized this leaves Jamaica (into Montego Bay) and Mexico (into Cancun). The Bahamas don't seem to have a high-enough air and water temp at this time of year. There's a nonstop from Orlando to Aruba, but it's Saturdays only, and neither of us wants to go back to work for a week after the wedding.
My first instinct was Jamaica (Negril). However, because it's over a holiday (New Year's), a lot of affordable places with great reviews are already booked (Rockhouse, Tensing Pen, Sunset at the Palms, Citronella to name a few). So I'm down to: Coco La Palm, Couples Swept Away, Country Country, Bananas Shout, and Idle Awhile. Another option is Jake's in Treasure Beach, which looks AWESOME (and their guest services people have been fantastic!), but I'm worried about it not being a swimmable beach (and the drive isn't ideal, but I'm less worried about that). Any thoughts/warnings/suggestions?
I haven't really had time to look into Mexico, but I think Playa del Carmen and/or Riviera Maya could be fun for us, too (not really feeling the hotel zone of Cancun, though). We don't speak Spanish, however, and I'm not sure if that's a problem.
I would be extremely grateful for any and all opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 http://www.healthdietalert.com/apex-plump/
- 2 Last min 5 night stay suggestion
- 3 Fun Ideas for Christmas Eve Family Dinner?
- 4 Cuba for 6 Americans
- 5 New Destination
- 6 Which island for first visit? April/May
- 7 St Lucia - Where to Stay
- 8 Bahamas help
- 9 Cayman VS Jamaica
- 10 Hilton Rose Hall Jamaica for toddlers -- how's the food?
- 11 Vacation suggestion, please
- 12 Best use of 800,000 Hilton points for family with toddlers?
- 13 Bitter End Yacht Club or somewhere else?
- 14 Good time of year to visit Turks & Caicos
- 15 ANTIGUA & DOMINICAN REPUBLIC CASINO SCAM ALERT!!
- 16 Best Itinerary - Brazil, Puerto Rico, Dom Republic and Cuba
- 17 aruba planning advice
- 18 Fun Family Lunch Spot in Anguilla?
- 19 Thanksgiving Week in St. Thomas
- 20 Transfer from Havana to Varadero
- 21 Atlantis Resort Bahamas
- 22 A few questions about Sonesta Great Bay
- 23 Barbados Beaches
- 24 Negril Jamaica- upcoming stay at Sandals Beaches resort
- 25 Peterson