My fiance and I are getting married on December 29, 2012, and we'd like to head off on our honeymoon the very next day. (Travel dates would be December 30, 2012 - January 6, 2013.)
Ideal requirements: *Warm/hot weather (comfortable swimming at beaches and pools), *safety (we can put our Kindles under a towel and go into the water without worrying about theft), *relative peace and quiet with some opportunities for fun if we get bored (bars, games, casino, etc.), and *nonstop flight (from Orlando). Budget is $3K - $4K.
After a TON of research, I realized this leaves Jamaica (into Montego Bay) and Mexico (into Cancun). The Bahamas don't seem to have a high-enough air and water temp at this time of year. There's a nonstop from Orlando to Aruba, but it's Saturdays only, and neither of us wants to go back to work for a week after the wedding.
My first instinct was Jamaica (Negril). However, because it's over a holiday (New Year's), a lot of affordable places with great reviews are already booked (Rockhouse, Tensing Pen, Sunset at the Palms, Citronella to name a few). So I'm down to: Coco La Palm, Couples Swept Away, Country Country, Bananas Shout, and Idle Awhile. Another option is Jake's in Treasure Beach, which looks AWESOME (and their guest services people have been fantastic!), but I'm worried about it not being a swimmable beach (and the drive isn't ideal, but I'm less worried about that). Any thoughts/warnings/suggestions?
I haven't really had time to look into Mexico, but I think Playa del Carmen and/or Riviera Maya could be fun for us, too (not really feeling the hotel zone of Cancun, though). We don't speak Spanish, however, and I'm not sure if that's a problem.
I would be extremely grateful for any and all opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Jade Mountain
- 2 Turks and caicos
- 3 Turks and caicos
- 4 Choosing an island for summer vacation
- 5 Honeymoon Help!!
- 6 Credit Card-Carrying US Independent Travelers Go to Cuba
- 7 How to avoid nudity in St. Maarten.
- 8 Which Caribbean island to choose?
- 9 Bermuda
- 10 Restaurant Suggestions
- 11 St. Martin: cost of transportation to Grand Case
- 12 Aruba weather
- 13 Havana Cuba for 2 days
- 14 Mid-Twenties couple looking for a lively, gorgeous resort
- 15 BFF Trip, 3 girls, 7-8 days total. Suggestions???
- 16 Restrictions on US Military travel to Cuba?
- 17 Taxi info. Self touring
- 18 In search of place to take adult daughters on a girls' week away
- 19 1st timer Ann Trip Suggestions for All Inclusive/Adult Only Resort
- 20 Half Moon Montego Bay questions
- 21 place to take kids for the day in falmouth jamica
- 22 Discovery Bay, Jamaica
- 23 In search of rum and revolution - Mr & Mrs Annhig go to Cuba.
- 24 8 days in USVI, St. Thomas safe yet?
- 25 Tips for Foodie Adventurers in Puerto Rico