My fiance and I are getting married on December 29, 2012, and we'd like to head off on our honeymoon the very next day. (Travel dates would be December 30, 2012 - January 6, 2013.)
Ideal requirements: *Warm/hot weather (comfortable swimming at beaches and pools), *safety (we can put our Kindles under a towel and go into the water without worrying about theft), *relative peace and quiet with some opportunities for fun if we get bored (bars, games, casino, etc.), and *nonstop flight (from Orlando). Budget is $3K - $4K.
After a TON of research, I realized this leaves Jamaica (into Montego Bay) and Mexico (into Cancun). The Bahamas don't seem to have a high-enough air and water temp at this time of year. There's a nonstop from Orlando to Aruba, but it's Saturdays only, and neither of us wants to go back to work for a week after the wedding.
My first instinct was Jamaica (Negril). However, because it's over a holiday (New Year's), a lot of affordable places with great reviews are already booked (Rockhouse, Tensing Pen, Sunset at the Palms, Citronella to name a few). So I'm down to: Coco La Palm, Couples Swept Away, Country Country, Bananas Shout, and Idle Awhile. Another option is Jake's in Treasure Beach, which looks AWESOME (and their guest services people have been fantastic!), but I'm worried about it not being a swimmable beach (and the drive isn't ideal, but I'm less worried about that). Any thoughts/warnings/suggestions?
I haven't really had time to look into Mexico, but I think Playa del Carmen and/or Riviera Maya could be fun for us, too (not really feeling the hotel zone of Cancun, though). We don't speak Spanish, however, and I'm not sure if that's a problem.
I would be extremely grateful for any and all opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Flawless Youth Skin Care might look
- 2 Suggestions for a 1 month first visit?
- 3 Ten reasons you might not want to visit Cuba
- 4 Upcoming Cuba Trip
- 5 What does Turks Beaches day pass include?
- 6 Anguilla. House to rent or swap Jan or Fec 2018
- 7 not sure where to go caymen island or panama city panama
- 8 Cuba for 6 days
- 9 Credit Card-Carrying US Independent Travelers Go to Cuba
- 10 Using USA credit cards in Cuba
- 11 Casual dining in San Juan area
- 12 Caribbean Vacation Advice
- 13 Honeymoon destination help!!!!!
- 14 Honeymoon Help!!
- 15 when to visit barbados
- 16 Barbados Beaches
- 17 Punta Cana
- 18 Family Friendly Resort w/ Fam of 5 (+1?)
- 19 Puerto Rico Questions: elec conv? hiking boots for El Yunque/
- 20 Surfing School recomendations, Puerto Rico?
- 21 Nonstop Flights from East Coast to Martinique and Guadeloupe from the US
- 22 Unwinding and Warming Up on Eleuthera
- 23 Havana City Walk - Travel Report
- 24 Restaurant Recommendations
- 25 Trouble booking hotels!