I am currently working on planning a honeymoon over the Thanksgiving holiday (from 11/24 to 12/1). I am a teacher, so we originally planned to honeymoon over my Winter Break. However, when I saw how much lower the rates were over Thanksgiving, it seemed like a no-brainer! It will allow us to stay at a much nicer resort than we could have over Christmas/New Years.
I have never traveled over Thanksgiving and I am a bit concerned about the weather in the Caribbean. Will the weather be dismal and rainy? Any insight from people who have traveled in the Caribbean over Thanksgiving would be fabulous. . A few of the resorts that are on my "maybe" list are: Curtain Bluff in Antigua, Bucuti and Tara Beach Resort in Aruba, Seven Stars and Windsong in Turks and Caicos. This is not an exhaustive list, but gives you an idea of what we like/price point. I'm looking for a beautiful and luxurious property, but don't want anything too trendy or buttoned up.
As a backup, I looked at a few resorts in Mexico. Capella Ixtapa and Viceroy Zijuataneho have great rates that week and both look beautiful. I've been to Mexico a number of times, and preferred to do something a bit different for our honeymoon. However, if the weather will be appreciably better in Mexico, it seems worthwhile. Additionally, in my experience, food costs at resorts in Mexico are much lower than those at similar resorts in the Caribbean. My fiance hasn't done much travel in the Caribbean/Mexico and I don't want him to get sticker shock the first night he looks at a restaurant menu.
Any insight would be fabulous! Thank you so much.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Staniel Cay, Exumas Trip Report & Photos (Feb 2017)
- 2 Honeymoon Help!!
- 3 Using USA credit cards in Cuba
- 4 Honeymoon Destinations?
- 5 What to do in Barbados with teens?
- 6 All inclusive
- 7 BVI trip questions
- 8 DR vs. Mexico
- 9 Is a Rental Car Necessary in Nassau?
- 10 Anguilla - where to rent a car
- 11 Puerto Esperanza from Havana
- 12 Family of 5 undecided island
- 13 10 pm arrival St. Maarten
- 14 Avoid Sandals Resort in St Lucia
- 15 family resort ideas?
- 16 Requirements for Americans visiting Cuba
- 17 The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Reall-Punta Cana DR
- 18 Any reason to go stay at a condo in the North Shore or Cayman Kai area?
- 19 First time to Puerto Rico
- 20 Lobster, Heat & Banged Up Feet - Another Awesome Exumas Adventure
- 21 Social Resort for Solo Female
- 22 St Vincent and The Grenadines 11 days trip over Christmas and NYE 2017/2018
- 23 Cuba with preschooler in April
- 24 Caribbean Vacation in May
- 25 Punta Cana
Planning a Thanksgiving 2013 Honeymoon- Caribbean or Mexico?