Just returned from 1 week vacation on 12/30/10 from St John, USVI. Stayed at the Westin Hotel. Was eaten alive by noseums. Had at least 150 bites from the insect. Totally ruined my vacation. First time this has ever happened to me. I do not recommend the hotel - it has a manmade beach loaded with boats. Water mirky and not clean. Will never go back to that hotel. St John itself is a beautiful island but the noseeums were out in full force. Don't know if they are always there or just certain months. Also, there was a north swell on the island and unable to snorkle Trunk, Cinammon bay. Apparently it was good on the south side of island, but was too afraid to go on account of the noseeums. Could not withstand more bites. Basically was a prisoner. Got spray after the third day but it was too late. Was suffering with incredible itchiness. Could not wait to get home.
Noseeums on St. John, USVI
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Best way to get to Martinique?
- 2 Martinique - solo female traveller
- 3 Bahamas girls trip
- 4 We've done it - we've bought our flights to Cuba. Now the planning begins!
- 5 Safe for Family
- 6 Seek Advice on 9 days in Samana and possibly Cabarete
- 7 Barbados or St. Lucia in late August
- 8 Need help deciding which resort/island to vacation at in September
- 9 Snorkeling
- 10 ST Thomas trip report with kids at Frenchman Reef and Morningstar
- 11 fish fry on Curacao
- 12 mosquito problem in Curacao
- 13 Place to stay and dive in Curacao for new divers
- 14 Sailing in the Abacos, Bahamas
- 15 One night in Nassau - hotel help
- 16 2 Weeks in Caribbean
- 17 10 days in Cuba - HELP
- 18 Restaurants in Aruba
- 19 Questions about Moving to the Carribean
- 20 Young couple planning June/July trip to Caribbean..where should we go!?
- 21 St. John vs St Thomas with kids (7 and 9) for New Years week?
- 22 Good place to hear music- San Juan
- 23 Solo backpacking in Cuba
- 24 Honeymoon with beaches plus hiking
- 25 I got robbed in St Maarten - St Martin on the French side