I am a moderately experienced traveler (some Europe, Australia, Puerto Rico, USVI, Bahamas) and love to explore. I will be going on my honeymoon in mid-May with my husband who has never left the country. I planned an amazing Spanish honeymoon, but then realized we should probably reign it in a little. We are now looking at a week in either the Caribbean or Central America and I need some suggestions.
We want snorkeling, spa time, exploration potential, shopping and time on the beach. I loved San Juan--the beach was small, but there was a rainforest, the lechoneros outside the city, walking to Old San Juan. I loved the USVI--being on St. Thomas and able to ferry to St. John. Unfortunately those are not options for this honeymoon.
From what I've read on the forums it looks like Turks & Caicos and Curacao are popular. As are Costa Rica and parts of Mexico. I want to avoid the Sandals vibe of St. Lucia. I would love some thoughts from recent travelers...
May 2013 Honeymoon
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Bermuda, we're coming!
- 2 Cuba by car
- 3 multiple family beach vacation
- 4 Clearest water and All Inclusive
- 5 Short trip to St. Martin/Day trip to Anguilla
- 6 2015 Family vacation: Best Bang on a budget
- 7 Anguilla Beaches
- 8 St Croix Trip Report - Memorial Day Week
- 9 Caribbean with grown kids
- 10 DR All Inclusive for Woman's getway
- 11 Need a new vacation spot!
- 12 Sailing in the Abacos, Bahamas
- 13 June Caribbean Vacation...where?
- 14 Mid October Honeymoon
- 15 Summer family vacation
- 16 Recommendations for Caribbean Getaway from New York
- 17 Wedding/Honeymoon All In One...Looking for Helpful Advice
- 18 All Inclusive Honeymoon
- 19 Honeymoon destination?
- 20 Best All Inclusive for my needs.........Ideas???
- 21 Punta Cana - Adults Only favorite
- 22 Need help with a Caribbean Destination Wedding-REVISED
- 23 St. Patrick's Day in Aruba
- 24 Fort de France as a base to explore Martinique?
- 25 First tropical vacation, any tips?