I am a moderately experienced traveler (some Europe, Australia, Puerto Rico, USVI, Bahamas) and love to explore. I will be going on my honeymoon in mid-May with my husband who has never left the country. I planned an amazing Spanish honeymoon, but then realized we should probably reign it in a little. We are now looking at a week in either the Caribbean or Central America and I need some suggestions.
We want snorkeling, spa time, exploration potential, shopping and time on the beach. I loved San Juan--the beach was small, but there was a rainforest, the lechoneros outside the city, walking to Old San Juan. I loved the USVI--being on St. Thomas and able to ferry to St. John. Unfortunately those are not options for this honeymoon.
From what I've read on the forums it looks like Turks & Caicos and Curacao are popular. As are Costa Rica and parts of Mexico. I want to avoid the Sandals vibe of St. Lucia. I would love some thoughts from recent travelers...
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 nice and good thnaks
- 2 Early 20's Couple
- 3 Couple in early 20's
- 4 Anniversary Trip Options
- 5 How can I top LI and Eluthera?
- 6 St. Barths Restaurant Recommendations
- 7 Boat Charter in BVI
- 8 Island with golf
- 9 2 Days in Dominica
- 10 We've done it - we've bought our flights to Cuba. Now the planning begins!
- 11 Fort de France as a base to explore Martinique?
- 12 Puerto Rico Trip Report - May, 2015
- 13 4 warnings for the non-seasoned, naïve tourist about to go to St Martin.
- 14 During times of need, let us donate for Nepal earthquake victims
- 15 St Thomas vs Puerto Rico
- 16 Location for 40th birthday celebration with friends
- 17 St. Martin/St. Maarten
- 18 travelling to St kitt and nervis
- 19 45th Birthday Celebration-Help!
- 20 Choosing an island
- 21 Reduit Beach is being ruined
- 22 Seek Advice on 9 days in Samana and possibly Cabarete
- 23 Cabarete & Las Canas, DR: Where can I get info?
- 24 cabarete, dominican republic
- 25 First time Santo Domingo