I am a moderately experienced traveler (some Europe, Australia, Puerto Rico, USVI, Bahamas) and love to explore. I will be going on my honeymoon in mid-May with my husband who has never left the country. I planned an amazing Spanish honeymoon, but then realized we should probably reign it in a little. We are now looking at a week in either the Caribbean or Central America and I need some suggestions.
We want snorkeling, spa time, exploration potential, shopping and time on the beach. I loved San Juan--the beach was small, but there was a rainforest, the lechoneros outside the city, walking to Old San Juan. I loved the USVI--being on St. Thomas and able to ferry to St. John. Unfortunately those are not options for this honeymoon.
From what I've read on the forums it looks like Turks & Caicos and Curacao are popular. As are Costa Rica and parts of Mexico. I want to avoid the Sandals vibe of St. Lucia. I would love some thoughts from recent travelers...
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Santiago de Cuba suggestions
- 2 Planning a Spring Break Trip in the USVI
- 3 All-Inclusive, adult only resorts
- 4 Help me to pick an island
- 5 Small boat excursion
- 6 Fern Gully or nearby....walking in nature
- 7 Traveling with 15, 13, & 10 year old kids to Jamaica...need advice
- 8 Overwhelmed....
- 9 Can you tell me where?
- 10 bareboat sailing tips in bvi
- 11 DAY 14 - PRE LAST DOMINICANA DAY, STEAK HOUSE
- 12 3 weeks in Puerto Rico
- 13 Alta Vista or Mayan Sky - St. John
- 14 Where to spend a week at the beach(in april)
- 15 Marigot, Rodney, or Soufriere?
- 16 first Caribbean trip with kids
- 17 Haven't been to The Caymans in many years???
- 18 DAY 13 - PUNTA CANA BACHATA & MICHAEL JACKSON SHOW
- 19 Turks & Caicos Rental Car
- 20 Help picking an island!!!!
- 21 Relaxing on Trinidad's Beaches
- 22 Rent a car on St John - need recommendations
- 23 When to go to El Yunque
- 24 Which beach is quieter? The one at Frangapani or Cuisinart?
- 25 DAY 12 - SUNRISE IN PUNTA CANA, SHOPPING