Myself and my wife have spent a few vacations In Grand Cayman. We love the island and will return again (hopefully). I would like to experience another Caribbean island and get a taste for a more lush caribbean experience that is largely missing on Cayman. As we live in Ireland, access to certain parts on the Caribbean is as a result difficult and expensive - does anyone have a suggestion for an island experience that isn't to difficult to get to from Europe? This is the road block that I am comign up against in that most places that I am looking at are taking 20+ hours to get there with usually 3-4 stops along the way.
I know very wide open question - but I could go to a travel agent but would value comments from other Fodorites who have first hand experience. I have thought about Greneda or Anguilla, but again they look difficult to get to from Europe - in that they require up to 3 stops in order to get there. Cayman has direct flights from London. Connecting through a US destination would be fine.
We would be looking to spend the same sort of money on accomadation as Cayman and love water sports - scuba etc. We would be looking for somewhere that is safe to explore as a tourist (Cayman is exceptionally safe in this regard) as we like to get out and about and see the island we are staying on. We would also value nice restaraunt experiences and possibly condo type accomadation.
Many thanks in advance.
Looking for a lush caribbean experience
- 1 Puerto Rico Itinerary help
- 2 Feedback on villa rental location on St. Barths
- 3 Where to stay on Vieques
- 4 Worst Vacation Ever - Sandals Antigua
- 5 Destination Wedding Planning: DR, Jamaica, Virgin Islands, or Barbados
- 6 Concerns About Dominican Republic Trip
- 7 Should I rent a car in Aruba?
- 8 Last Minute Urgent Advice for "my best beach vacation ever"
- 9 Bahamas 4 day Trip: July 2014
- 10 Calling all Puerto Rico experts....last minute planning of the WHOLE trip!
- 11 50's mom + 19 yo son Mid-Jan vaca ideas
- 12 Bahamas snorkeling
- 13 Luxury family resort with villas and good beach
- 14 Anniversary in May, need resort suggestions
- 15 Wedding Help!
- 16 Where to stay in Puerto Rico
- 17 San Juan PR 1 night stay
- 18 Restaurant Reservations Needed in St. John?
- 19 Islands with great nightlife
- 20 month stay on a caribbean island
- 21 St Thomas Elysian or Secret Harbour
- 22 Ferry to Rum Point
- 23 Massages in Punta Cana (not in the resorts)
- 24 Family with infants/toddlers
- 25 typical question which island? St. Martin, Jamaica or TCI