Myself and my wife have spent a few vacations In Grand Cayman. We love the island and will return again (hopefully). I would like to experience another Caribbean island and get a taste for a more lush caribbean experience that is largely missing on Cayman. As we live in Ireland, access to certain parts on the Caribbean is as a result difficult and expensive - does anyone have a suggestion for an island experience that isn't to difficult to get to from Europe? This is the road block that I am comign up against in that most places that I am looking at are taking 20+ hours to get there with usually 3-4 stops along the way.
I know very wide open question - but I could go to a travel agent but would value comments from other Fodorites who have first hand experience. I have thought about Greneda or Anguilla, but again they look difficult to get to from Europe - in that they require up to 3 stops in order to get there. Cayman has direct flights from London. Connecting through a US destination would be fine.
We would be looking to spend the same sort of money on accomadation as Cayman and love water sports - scuba etc. We would be looking for somewhere that is safe to explore as a tourist (Cayman is exceptionally safe in this regard) as we like to get out and about and see the island we are staying on. We would also value nice restaraunt experiences and possibly condo type accomadation.
Many thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 PR or USVI
- 2 Which island should we visit? Non-windy beach + all-inclusive?
- 3 Which Caribbean island?
- 4 Luxury Hotel off the beaten path celebration?
- 5 Cuba, March 2017, what an experience!
- 6 Turks and Caicos/ Beaches/ Restaurants
- 7 Punta Cana; Bavaro Beach area, Dom. Rep.
- 8 SWIMMING AND FOOD...WHICH ISLAND TO CHOOSE?
- 9 Barbados hotel in St. James
- 10 5 days in Havana
- 11 Puerto Rico Itinerary help
- 12 Where to look for a villa on Bermuda with private staff
- 13 which Caribbean Islands don't have a big stray animal problem
- 14 Using USA credit cards in Cuba
- 15 Ten reasons you might not want to visit Cuba
- 16 resorts for age 50-60 wedding anniversary
- 17 Day trip FROM Anguilla
- 18 10 pm arrival St. Maarten
- 19 Scrub Island Resort
- 20 Caribbean Vacation Advice
- 21 St. Lucia Villa Recommendations
- 22 Wedding Destinations???
- 23 Grand Cayman Westin or Kimpton
- 24 Down to two in January have we got it right
- 25 Where to stay in Barbados July 1-11