Myself and my wife have spent a few vacations In Grand Cayman. We love the island and will return again (hopefully). I would like to experience another Caribbean island and get a taste for a more lush caribbean experience that is largely missing on Cayman. As we live in Ireland, access to certain parts on the Caribbean is as a result difficult and expensive - does anyone have a suggestion for an island experience that isn't to difficult to get to from Europe? This is the road block that I am comign up against in that most places that I am looking at are taking 20+ hours to get there with usually 3-4 stops along the way.
I know very wide open question - but I could go to a travel agent but would value comments from other Fodorites who have first hand experience. I have thought about Greneda or Anguilla, but again they look difficult to get to from Europe - in that they require up to 3 stops in order to get there. Cayman has direct flights from London. Connecting through a US destination would be fine.
We would be looking to spend the same sort of money on accomadation as Cayman and love water sports - scuba etc. We would be looking for somewhere that is safe to explore as a tourist (Cayman is exceptionally safe in this regard) as we like to get out and about and see the island we are staying on. We would also value nice restaraunt experiences and possibly condo type accomadation.
Many thanks in advance.
Looking for a lush caribbean experience
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Late September cruise, is this a bad time of year?
- 2 Best Island for Me?
- 3 fox. car rental montego bay jamaica
- 4 Southern Caribbean Cruise
- 5 Too many choices.....
- 6 walking to the lighthouse
- 7 Why Barbados?
- 8 Anyone found a cruise comparable to Windjammer Barefoot Cruise experience?
- 9 Lobster, Heat & Banged Up Feet - Another Awesome Exumas Adventure
- 10 Best caribbean island to suit us.
- 11 Where to visit from San Juan for grown ups + family vacation?
- 12 Cayman Islands in April for 7 days
- 13 Best island for Christmas vacation with 4 teenage girls
- 14 Cuba with Gate 1
- 15 Anguilla stay?
- 16 It's Excellent in the Exumas ~ A week on Staniel Cay (+ Atlantis)
- 17 Back from San Juan
- 18 Bermuda visit in Sept. - 1st time
- 19 San Juan Airport
- 20 Help with choosing a Caribbean Island to visit in March
- 21 TCI Small group snorkle trip?
- 22 Club Med Columbus Isle, Bahamas or Beaches Negril, Jamaica
- 23 Resort hotels on St Croix
- 24 Storm ?
- 25 Fun island to take 17 year olds