Myself and my wife have spent a few vacations In Grand Cayman. We love the island and will return again (hopefully). I would like to experience another Caribbean island and get a taste for a more lush caribbean experience that is largely missing on Cayman. As we live in Ireland, access to certain parts on the Caribbean is as a result difficult and expensive - does anyone have a suggestion for an island experience that isn't to difficult to get to from Europe? This is the road block that I am comign up against in that most places that I am looking at are taking 20+ hours to get there with usually 3-4 stops along the way.
I know very wide open question - but I could go to a travel agent but would value comments from other Fodorites who have first hand experience. I have thought about Greneda or Anguilla, but again they look difficult to get to from Europe - in that they require up to 3 stops in order to get there. Cayman has direct flights from London. Connecting through a US destination would be fine.
We would be looking to spend the same sort of money on accomadation as Cayman and love water sports - scuba etc. We would be looking for somewhere that is safe to explore as a tourist (Cayman is exceptionally safe in this regard) as we like to get out and about and see the island we are staying on. We would also value nice restaraunt experiences and possibly condo type accomadation.
Many thanks in advance.
Looking for a lush caribbean experience
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Snorkeling In Close Proximity to Hotel
- 2 Grotto Bay Beach vs. Fairmont Southampton w/kids 6&7
- 3 Beaches, Rainforest, Waterfalls- Can I have it all?
- 4 Cayman restaurant ?s
- 5 Tortola & SADE villa rental
- 6 Warning-Grand Turk "Palm Grove Villas" a horrible experience!
- 7 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 8 What is the best place in Turks & Caicos?
- 9 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 10 Punta Cana vs Santo Domingo, differences?
- 11 Best grocery shopping in St Thomas on way to Red Hook
- 12 Looking for luxury (but less developed) resort in Turks and Caicos
- 13 barbados advoce for family villa trip
- 14 short report: Barbados - is there anywhere this friendly?
- 15 Meditation and yoga Retreat in Caribbean or Costa Rica
- 16 Which island?
- 17 Cuba travel from Miami for US citizens
- 18 A week in TCI, and some questions
- 19 eighty+ travelers thinking of St. John
- 20 Resort hotels on St Croix
- 21 Crime in Providenciales TCI
- 22 Trying to Figure Out Whether to Stay at Airport or in Old San Juan
- 23 Turks and Caicos problems
- 24 Bahama Out Island/Turks /Cozumel
- 25 customs