OK, so it is not the Ritz-Carlton or the Four Seasons. But we just spent a week at Sunset Waters Beach Resort in Curacao and found it charming. Spacious and comfortable accomodations (we took the junior suite, which I strongly recommend), very good food (ordered mostly off a menu), very nice beach (albeit somewhat rocky), and great snorkeling and diving from the shore (SPECTACULAR house reef). The general manager, Jim Hunter, is everywhere, making sure everything is as promised. His extensive background is in the food and beverage side of the business at some luxury resorts, and it shows in the offerings put out by the kitchen. Also, the staff is very helpful and friendly. Unlike even many high-end resorts in the Caribbean, when you ask for something -- in our case extra towels and pillows -- it shows up promptly. The resort is about 35 minutes drive from town, and a free shuttle takes you there 4 or 5 times a week. Don't miss the Kura Hulanda museum there. It has a remarkable collection documenting the history of the slave trade. Also be sure to take a tour of the town (the Punda side of the harbor), which has a very interesting history and architecture. Now the caveat: if you are looking for a resort near the action, with lots to do around, go elsewhere. In spite of the staff's attempts to schedule a number of activities each day, it is pretty much a laid-back, casual place for R&R and some sightseeing. We liked it a lot, and think it gives outstanding value.
Just Back from Sunset Waters Resort
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 St. Lucia or Antigua?
- 2 Beaches, Rainforest, Waterfalls- Can I have it all?
- 3 Bahamas or Republic of Panama
- 4 Family vacation with Teens/Tweens: Caymans, Bahamas, Belize, Costa Rica
- 5 Warning-Grand Turk "Palm Grove Villas" a horrible experience!
- 6 Snorkeling In Close Proximity to Hotel
- 7 Cayman restaurant ?s
- 8 Grotto Bay Beach vs. Fairmont Southampton w/kids 6&7
- 9 Tortola & SADE villa rental
- 10 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 11 What is the best place in Turks & Caicos?
- 12 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 13 Punta Cana vs Santo Domingo, differences?
- 14 Best grocery shopping in St Thomas on way to Red Hook
- 15 Looking for luxury (but less developed) resort in Turks and Caicos
- 16 barbados advoce for family villa trip
- 17 short report: Barbados - is there anywhere this friendly?
- 18 Meditation and yoga Retreat in Caribbean or Costa Rica
- 19 Which island?
- 20 Cuba travel from Miami for US citizens
- 21 A week in TCI, and some questions
- 22 eighty+ travelers thinking of St. John
- 23 Resort hotels on St Croix
- 24 Crime in Providenciales TCI
- 25 Trying to Figure Out Whether to Stay at Airport or in Old San Juan