OK, so it is not the Ritz-Carlton or the Four Seasons. But we just spent a week at Sunset Waters Beach Resort in Curacao and found it charming. Spacious and comfortable accomodations (we took the junior suite, which I strongly recommend), very good food (ordered mostly off a menu), very nice beach (albeit somewhat rocky), and great snorkeling and diving from the shore (SPECTACULAR house reef). The general manager, Jim Hunter, is everywhere, making sure everything is as promised. His extensive background is in the food and beverage side of the business at some luxury resorts, and it shows in the offerings put out by the kitchen. Also, the staff is very helpful and friendly. Unlike even many high-end resorts in the Caribbean, when you ask for something -- in our case extra towels and pillows -- it shows up promptly. The resort is about 35 minutes drive from town, and a free shuttle takes you there 4 or 5 times a week. Don't miss the Kura Hulanda museum there. It has a remarkable collection documenting the history of the slave trade. Also be sure to take a tour of the town (the Punda side of the harbor), which has a very interesting history and architecture. Now the caveat: if you are looking for a resort near the action, with lots to do around, go elsewhere. In spite of the staff's attempts to schedule a number of activities each day, it is pretty much a laid-back, casual place for R&R and some sightseeing. We liked it a lot, and think it gives outstanding value.
Just Back from Sunset Waters Resort
- 1 Curacao vs Puerto Rico
- 2 Comments regarding this Puerto Rico condo?
- 3 St. John USVI in July
- 4 Help choosing an all inclusive resort!
- 5 Where to go??
- 6 Photos from Havana and Vinales May 2013
- 7 Safety in Puerto Rico?
- 8 which month has a low heat index in Turks & Caicos
- 9 Staying in Aruba for 1 week in December
- 10 where to travel for 50th birthday with family?
- 11 Sightseeing and Lounging Islands
- 12 Sea Castle Villa Renters Beware!!
- 13 Do restaurants in Bermuda allow corkage/BYO
- 14 puerto rico cruise
- 15 Gifts for Cubans - ElectricalOutlets
- 16 Active island stay for November solo trip?
- 17 Caribbean Real Estate Jobs
- 18 Best Quaint All Inclusive Resort
- 19 Kid-Friendly All-Inclusives in Caribbean or Cancun
- 20 Recent St. Martin travelers
- 21 Resort near a town?
- 22 Which hotel should we stay at in Aruba?
- 23 Puerto Rico - too much? a.k.a will I be like a coqui hopping all over?
- 24 Freeport to Abaco, how do you do it?
- 25 Ziplines near Rincon/West Coast of Puerto Rico NOT part of a tour