OK, so it is not the Ritz-Carlton or the Four Seasons. But we just spent a week at Sunset Waters Beach Resort in Curacao and found it charming. Spacious and comfortable accomodations (we took the junior suite, which I strongly recommend), very good food (ordered mostly off a menu), very nice beach (albeit somewhat rocky), and great snorkeling and diving from the shore (SPECTACULAR house reef). The general manager, Jim Hunter, is everywhere, making sure everything is as promised. His extensive background is in the food and beverage side of the business at some luxury resorts, and it shows in the offerings put out by the kitchen. Also, the staff is very helpful and friendly. Unlike even many high-end resorts in the Caribbean, when you ask for something -- in our case extra towels and pillows -- it shows up promptly. The resort is about 35 minutes drive from town, and a free shuttle takes you there 4 or 5 times a week. Don't miss the Kura Hulanda museum there. It has a remarkable collection documenting the history of the slave trade. Also be sure to take a tour of the town (the Punda side of the harbor), which has a very interesting history and architecture. Now the caveat: if you are looking for a resort near the action, with lots to do around, go elsewhere. In spite of the staff's attempts to schedule a number of activities each day, it is pretty much a laid-back, casual place for R&R and some sightseeing. We liked it a lot, and think it gives outstanding value.
Just Back from Sunset Waters Resort
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Best places for Honeymoon!!
- 2 Tipping at AI
- 3 First time visit to Turks & Caicos -- would love advice on the island!!
- 4 Guide to Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas
- 5 Having trouble finding nonstop flights from Boston
- 6 Traveling Solo
- 7 What happened to the Maho Bay Campground property on St. John?
- 8 A Volcanic Paradise
- 9 Best Singles Vacation 35-50 in Caribbean
- 10 Turks & Caicos - no kids
- 11 Anniversary Cruise Struggling with Excursions
- 12 Food at Cove Eleuthera
- 13 St. Kitts, the details
- 14 which Caribbean Islands don't have a big stray animal problem
- 15 Please help a beach vacation novice: Turks & Caicos vs. St. John vs. ...?
- 16 Vacation Review: Topic Follow-Up
- 17 Out islands of the Bahamas. Exumas? Abaco?
- 18 Out islands, Bahamas referral
- 19 Scrub Island vs Turks and Caicos
- 20 St. Thomas trip with 7 year old
- 21 Help me pick an island for my first Caribbean trip
- 22 8 TUFF MILES
- 23 Puerto Rico Nightlife?
- 24 1 week in San Juan
- 25 AI in Punta Cana, DR? Or nearby?