OK, so it is not the Ritz-Carlton or the Four Seasons. But we just spent a week at Sunset Waters Beach Resort in Curacao and found it charming. Spacious and comfortable accomodations (we took the junior suite, which I strongly recommend), very good food (ordered mostly off a menu), very nice beach (albeit somewhat rocky), and great snorkeling and diving from the shore (SPECTACULAR house reef). The general manager, Jim Hunter, is everywhere, making sure everything is as promised. His extensive background is in the food and beverage side of the business at some luxury resorts, and it shows in the offerings put out by the kitchen. Also, the staff is very helpful and friendly. Unlike even many high-end resorts in the Caribbean, when you ask for something -- in our case extra towels and pillows -- it shows up promptly. The resort is about 35 minutes drive from town, and a free shuttle takes you there 4 or 5 times a week. Don't miss the Kura Hulanda museum there. It has a remarkable collection documenting the history of the slave trade. Also be sure to take a tour of the town (the Punda side of the harbor), which has a very interesting history and architecture. Now the caveat: if you are looking for a resort near the action, with lots to do around, go elsewhere. In spite of the staff's attempts to schedule a number of activities each day, it is pretty much a laid-back, casual place for R&R and some sightseeing. We liked it a lot, and think it gives outstanding value.
Just Back from Sunset Waters Resort
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 T&C - tropical storm Cristobal
- 2 Why Barbados?
- 3 St Barts/One Day
- 4 Too many choices.....
- 5 Best luxury resort on grace bay Turks and Caicos
- 6 Best/most luxurious Luxury resort on Grace bay
- 7 Late September cruise, is this a bad time of year?
- 8 Southern Caribbean Cruise
- 9 Best Island for Me?
- 10 fox. car rental montego bay jamaica
- 11 walking to the lighthouse
- 12 Anyone found a cruise comparable to Windjammer Barefoot Cruise experience?
- 13 Lobster, Heat & Banged Up Feet - Another Awesome Exumas Adventure
- 14 Best caribbean island to suit us.
- 15 Where to visit from San Juan for grown ups + family vacation?
- 16 Cayman Islands in April for 7 days
- 17 Best island for Christmas vacation with 4 teenage girls
- 18 Cuba with Gate 1
- 19 Anguilla stay?
- 20 It's Excellent in the Exumas ~ A week on Staniel Cay (+ Atlantis)
- 21 Back from San Juan
- 22 Bermuda visit in Sept. - 1st time
- 23 San Juan Airport
- 24 Help with choosing a Caribbean Island to visit in March
- 25 TCI Small group snorkle trip?