We just returned from a dive trip to Dominica. There is such wealth of info-lol- about Dominica I thought I'd write a few words. Took 2 days to get there from Chicago- had to overnight in San Juan. Then a prop to the island. Nice green hills to fly over on approach. Then a 1.5 hour ride to Roseau where we stayed at Castle Comfort Dive Lodge. The ride was nice- through mountainous roads kissing the clouds, past green hills, banana fields, small towns and villages. Beautiful plants and flowers were everywhere. Then a view of the Caribbean Sea as you approach Roseau- where it is much warmer than in the mountains. Narrow, crowded streets are the norm here, with Dominicans filling the air with the sounds of their particular patois. If you listen closely you can hear some pure French. Castle comfort was a delight. We were treated royally. Very nice staff, excellent food for breakfast and dinner. I mentioned that I was on the lookout for some good callaloo and voila! - they prepared it 2 nights out of the 10 we were there. The diving was great- some of the healthiest coral we have ever seen. The conditions were right, so one time we were taken to a site called Des Fous-surge and current but a blast. The day trips on the island are nice- we went to Titou Gorge and Tralalger Falls. Took a bus to Scott's Head, where I snorkeled and we climbed to the top of the hill there. The USD = 2.67 Eastern Caribbean dollars so it was economical- much more than the Cayman Islands. It is a poor country with undeveloped areas but the people are really friendly. The water is fine to drink, the buses cost 1-3 ECD, you can buy alot of spices there. It is a World Heritage site and there is a team of Peace Corps workers there.
Just passing along some info because it was really hard for us to find any here on this forum.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Alopecia Natural Treatment
- 2 not sure where to go caymen island or panama city panama
- 3 What does Turks Beaches day pass include?
- 4 Cuba for 6 days
- 5 Credit Card-Carrying US Independent Travelers Go to Cuba
- 6 Upcoming Cuba Trip
- 7 Using USA credit cards in Cuba
- 8 Casual dining in San Juan area
- 9 Caribbean Vacation Advice
- 10 Honeymoon destination help!!!!!
- 11 Honeymoon Help!!
- 12 when to visit barbados
- 13 Barbados Beaches
- 14 Punta Cana
- 15 Family Friendly Resort w/ Fam of 5 (+1?)
- 16 Puerto Rico Questions: elec conv? hiking boots for El Yunque/
- 17 Suggestions for a 1 month first visit?
- 18 Surfing School recomendations, Puerto Rico?
- 19 Nonstop Flights from East Coast to Martinique and Guadeloupe from the US
- 20 Unwinding and Warming Up on Eleuthera
- 21 Havana City Walk - Travel Report
- 22 Restaurant Recommendations
- 23 Trouble booking hotels!
- 24 Tropical Island Trip HELP
- 25 Airport transfer PUJ