We just returned from a dive trip to Dominica. There is such wealth of info-lol- about Dominica I thought I'd write a few words. Took 2 days to get there from Chicago- had to overnight in San Juan. Then a prop to the island. Nice green hills to fly over on approach. Then a 1.5 hour ride to Roseau where we stayed at Castle Comfort Dive Lodge. The ride was nice- through mountainous roads kissing the clouds, past green hills, banana fields, small towns and villages. Beautiful plants and flowers were everywhere. Then a view of the Caribbean Sea as you approach Roseau- where it is much warmer than in the mountains. Narrow, crowded streets are the norm here, with Dominicans filling the air with the sounds of their particular patois. If you listen closely you can hear some pure French. Castle comfort was a delight. We were treated royally. Very nice staff, excellent food for breakfast and dinner. I mentioned that I was on the lookout for some good callaloo and voila! - they prepared it 2 nights out of the 10 we were there. The diving was great- some of the healthiest coral we have ever seen. The conditions were right, so one time we were taken to a site called Des Fous-surge and current but a blast. The day trips on the island are nice- we went to Titou Gorge and Tralalger Falls. Took a bus to Scott's Head, where I snorkeled and we climbed to the top of the hill there. The USD = 2.67 Eastern Caribbean dollars so it was economical- much more than the Cayman Islands. It is a poor country with undeveloped areas but the people are really friendly. The water is fine to drink, the buses cost 1-3 ECD, you can buy alot of spices there. It is a World Heritage site and there is a team of Peace Corps workers there.
Just passing along some info because it was really hard for us to find any here on this forum.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 YAHOO got solution recover ☎ 1:800:982:8520 Tec^h 24^7
- 2 (U>S) YAHOO Password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:982:8520 YAHOO Tec*h SUPPORT
- 3 Changes to travel US-Cuba
- 4 Post Christmas vacation -- where to go?
- 5 Seeking a boutique/intimate Caribbean honeymoon in March 2018
- 6 Negril questions
- 7 Upcoming Cuba trip- 12 days
- 8 Two Highly Recommended Tour Companies for Travel to Cuba
- 9 Best weather/where to travel early November?!
- 10 No Mold - Family Friendly Place to Stay?
- 11 Girls' trip, after Anguilla
- 12 Grace Bay-where to stay
- 13 what island to go to Feb 2018)
- 14 Hiking in St. John
- 15 Reefs vs Fairmont Southampton?
- 16 Where to go - March/April 2018?
- 17 Honeymoon in October/November! Help!
- 18 Antigua or St. John Honeymoon Dec.
- 19 Snorkeling trip ideas
- 20 Where in DR?
- 21 Honeymoon
- 22 Cuba - all inclusive suggestion
- 23 Curacao times 2
- 24 Help us choose a caribbean location!
- 25 Barbados