We just returned from a dive trip to Dominica. There is such wealth of info-lol- about Dominica I thought I'd write a few words. Took 2 days to get there from Chicago- had to overnight in San Juan. Then a prop to the island. Nice green hills to fly over on approach. Then a 1.5 hour ride to Roseau where we stayed at Castle Comfort Dive Lodge. The ride was nice- through mountainous roads kissing the clouds, past green hills, banana fields, small towns and villages. Beautiful plants and flowers were everywhere. Then a view of the Caribbean Sea as you approach Roseau- where it is much warmer than in the mountains. Narrow, crowded streets are the norm here, with Dominicans filling the air with the sounds of their particular patois. If you listen closely you can hear some pure French. Castle comfort was a delight. We were treated royally. Very nice staff, excellent food for breakfast and dinner. I mentioned that I was on the lookout for some good callaloo and voila! - they prepared it 2 nights out of the 10 we were there. The diving was great- some of the healthiest coral we have ever seen. The conditions were right, so one time we were taken to a site called Des Fous-surge and current but a blast. The day trips on the island are nice- we went to Titou Gorge and Tralalger Falls. Took a bus to Scott's Head, where I snorkeled and we climbed to the top of the hill there. The USD = 2.67 Eastern Caribbean dollars so it was economical- much more than the Cayman Islands. It is a poor country with undeveloped areas but the people are really friendly. The water is fine to drink, the buses cost 1-3 ECD, you can buy alot of spices there. It is a World Heritage site and there is a team of Peace Corps workers there.
Just passing along some info because it was really hard for us to find any here on this forum.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Puerto Rico Trip Report - May, 2015
- 2 Island with golf
- 3 4 warnings for the non-seasoned, naïve tourist about to go to St Martin.
- 4 During times of need, let us donate for Nepal earthquake victims
- 5 St Thomas vs Puerto Rico
- 6 Location for 40th birthday celebration with friends
- 7 St. Martin/St. Maarten
- 8 We've done it - we've bought our flights to Cuba. Now the planning begins!
- 9 travelling to St kitt and nervis
- 10 45th Birthday Celebration-Help!
- 11 Choosing an island
- 12 Reduit Beach is being ruined
- 13 Seek Advice on 9 days in Samana and possibly Cabarete
- 14 Cabarete & Las Canas, DR: Where can I get info?
- 15 cabarete, dominican republic
- 16 First time Santo Domingo
- 17 20th anniversary
- 18 St. Bart's
- 19 Bahamas girls trip
- 20 Advice on choosing an island...
- 21 What is the best Caribbean island for white sandy beaches
- 22 American Express Card in Bermuda
- 23 Grand Cayman January
- 24 Martinique Blog
- 25 Why don't more Fodorites consider St Croix?