We just returned from a dive trip to Dominica. There is such wealth of info-lol- about Dominica I thought I'd write a few words. Took 2 days to get there from Chicago- had to overnight in San Juan. Then a prop to the island. Nice green hills to fly over on approach. Then a 1.5 hour ride to Roseau where we stayed at Castle Comfort Dive Lodge. The ride was nice- through mountainous roads kissing the clouds, past green hills, banana fields, small towns and villages. Beautiful plants and flowers were everywhere. Then a view of the Caribbean Sea as you approach Roseau- where it is much warmer than in the mountains. Narrow, crowded streets are the norm here, with Dominicans filling the air with the sounds of their particular patois. If you listen closely you can hear some pure French. Castle comfort was a delight. We were treated royally. Very nice staff, excellent food for breakfast and dinner. I mentioned that I was on the lookout for some good callaloo and voila! - they prepared it 2 nights out of the 10 we were there. The diving was great- some of the healthiest coral we have ever seen. The conditions were right, so one time we were taken to a site called Des Fous-surge and current but a blast. The day trips on the island are nice- we went to Titou Gorge and Tralalger Falls. Took a bus to Scott's Head, where I snorkeled and we climbed to the top of the hill there. The USD = 2.67 Eastern Caribbean dollars so it was economical- much more than the Cayman Islands. It is a poor country with undeveloped areas but the people are really friendly. The water is fine to drink, the buses cost 1-3 ECD, you can buy alot of spices there. It is a World Heritage site and there is a team of Peace Corps workers there.
Just passing along some info because it was really hard for us to find any here on this forum.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Exoslim is extremely well known and world popular recipe
- 2 http://www.supplementoffers.org/exoslim/
- 3 1800 969 1649 united airline phone number
- 4 Sailboat charter through the British Virgin Islands
- 5 planning to sail the Caribbean
- 6 Caribbean Island hopping - tips & ideas?
- 7 Bonaire Flight Issue/Travelocity
- 8 What to do in Jamaica besides beach?
- 9 DIY Cuba - US Citizens - Havana + Viñales or Trinidad?
- 10 Cuba in November
- 11 Question about Long Term Rentals
- 12 Renaissance Carambola St. Croix
- 13 san salvador bahamas - trip report
- 14 Help me narrow down island for 20th anniversary trip
- 15 2 weeks in Cuba - to include Santiago/Baracoa or not?!
- 16 Tennis in Aruba question
- 17 christmas in the caribbean
- 18 Anguilla Trip Report & Photos 6/26-7/3 2016
- 19 Trip report: Woman solo travelling in Cuba
- 20 Guadeloupe - January 2017
- 21 Marriott Courtyard Junkanoo Beach Nassau
- 22 Jamaica
- 23 Money in Jamaica
- 24 Aruba trip report (first time visitors)
- 25 Anguilla Trip Report (6/26-7/3) AND a New Identity