New to Caribbean travel and not big travelers in general, but we're looking for a pleasant, low-stress warm weather getaway over Christmas. We're not exactly the dedicated AI type but some compromise between AI predictability and genuine local color would be nice.
We want to travel shortly before Christmas and return around New Years, maybe just after. I know, I know.
Some beach time but need more than just that
Some snorkeling, maybe boat/air tours, or a small sailboat rental (I can sail)
Some non-beach natural beauty - not real hikers, but would like renting a jeep for touring
Some "old town" charm and quaint/historic urban areas, but don't need a metropolis
Prefer condo/villa/house rental to straight hotel - 2 bedrooms and living room
Some shopping, but don't need super-high-fashion elegance
Don't really need:
Hard core hiking or adrenaline sports
We're thinking of Puerto Rico or USVI but are really looking for suggestions. I'm starting passport renewal process Saturday so they should be available by departure date. Of course we want to make reservations soon since it is high season.
I've looked into a few multi-stop cruises that might fit the bill but they tend to depart/return a little early in order to split the holidays into two outings. We're not sold on the cruise idea but it is not out of the question. I just think the the idea of renting a villa/condo and a jeep would make for a more interesting trip.
Thanks, Fodors folks! I know there are a lot of you out there that can help us narrow the choices and hit the good spots.
Island itinerary help - 12/20 to 12/9 or so, 2 adults, 2 teens
- 1 Family with infants/toddlers
- 2 Ferry to Rum Point
- 3 Worst Vacation Ever - Sandals Antigua
- 4 Islands with great nightlife
- 5 typical question which island? St. Martin, Jamaica or TCI
- 6 Nevis or Turks and Caicos or St. Barths? Or somewhere else?
- 7 Should I rent a car in Aruba?
- 8 Jamaica property buying and selling
- 9 One day in Aruba/Our anniversary
- 10 4 warnings for the non-seasoned, naïve tourist about to go to St Martin.
- 11 Aruba vs. Turks & Caicos - June Honeymoon
- 12 St Martin - villa rental close to the beach
- 13 Day Sailing trips in St. Martin
- 14 What are Puerto Rico's best kept secrets?
- 15 Restaraunts in Barbados
- 16 Guadalupe France - Anyone been to French Immersion there?
- 17 Studying French in the Caribbean
- 18 Jamaica Fishing Recommendations
- 19 Turks Airport Question / Airfare
- 20 Anguilla Qns - beaches, restaurants, activities
- 21 Restaurant Reservations Needed in St. John?
- 22 Some perspective on crime in Nevis
- 23 Culebra, Vieques and other Spanish Virgins: Trip Report
- 24 Pelican Nest Villas -- Turks & Caicos -- Providenciales
- 25 Beaches Turks question