New to Caribbean travel and not big travelers in general, but we're looking for a pleasant, low-stress warm weather getaway over Christmas. We're not exactly the dedicated AI type but some compromise between AI predictability and genuine local color would be nice.
We want to travel shortly before Christmas and return around New Years, maybe just after. I know, I know.
Some beach time but need more than just that
Some snorkeling, maybe boat/air tours, or a small sailboat rental (I can sail)
Some non-beach natural beauty - not real hikers, but would like renting a jeep for touring
Some "old town" charm and quaint/historic urban areas, but don't need a metropolis
Prefer condo/villa/house rental to straight hotel - 2 bedrooms and living room
Some shopping, but don't need super-high-fashion elegance
Don't really need:
Hard core hiking or adrenaline sports
We're thinking of Puerto Rico or USVI but are really looking for suggestions. I'm starting passport renewal process Saturday so they should be available by departure date. Of course we want to make reservations soon since it is high season.
I've looked into a few multi-stop cruises that might fit the bill but they tend to depart/return a little early in order to split the holidays into two outings. We're not sold on the cruise idea but it is not out of the question. I just think the the idea of renting a villa/condo and a jeep would make for a more interesting trip.
Thanks, Fodors folks! I know there are a lot of you out there that can help us narrow the choices and hit the good spots.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 http://www.muscle4power.com/exoslim-reviews/
- 2 abundance fat, or just greens, modest parts, a ton of nourishments
- 3 when to visit barbados
- 4 Guadeloupe, Martinique or St Martin?
- 5 Belize vs Bonaire for snorkeling?
- 6 So is Bonaire great? Or not??
- 7 Help on choosing where to visit
- 8 40th birthday with friends
- 9 which island?
- 10 Cheapest excursions in Punta Cana?
- 11 Renaissance Carambola St. Croix
- 12 Cruise from NYC to Bermuda
- 13 What to do in Jamaica besides beach?
- 14 Sailboat charter through the British Virgin Islands
- 15 Caribbean Island hopping - tips & ideas?
- 16 Help me choose an all-inclusive resort
- 17 Help me narrow down island for 20th anniversary trip
- 18 Cuba in November
- 19 Which Caribbean Island Should I Visit?
- 20 planning to sail the Caribbean
- 21 Bonaire Flight Issue/Travelocity
- 22 DIY Cuba - US Citizens - Havana + Viñales or Trinidad?
- 23 Question about Long Term Rentals
- 24 san salvador bahamas - trip report
- 25 2 weeks in Cuba - to include Santiago/Baracoa or not?!
Island itinerary help - 12/20 to 12/9 or so, 2 adults, 2 teens