New to Caribbean travel and not big travelers in general, but we're looking for a pleasant, low-stress warm weather getaway over Christmas. We're not exactly the dedicated AI type but some compromise between AI predictability and genuine local color would be nice.
We want to travel shortly before Christmas and return around New Years, maybe just after. I know, I know.
Some beach time but need more than just that
Some snorkeling, maybe boat/air tours, or a small sailboat rental (I can sail)
Some non-beach natural beauty - not real hikers, but would like renting a jeep for touring
Some "old town" charm and quaint/historic urban areas, but don't need a metropolis
Prefer condo/villa/house rental to straight hotel - 2 bedrooms and living room
Some shopping, but don't need super-high-fashion elegance
Don't really need:
Hard core hiking or adrenaline sports
We're thinking of Puerto Rico or USVI but are really looking for suggestions. I'm starting passport renewal process Saturday so they should be available by departure date. Of course we want to make reservations soon since it is high season.
I've looked into a few multi-stop cruises that might fit the bill but they tend to depart/return a little early in order to split the holidays into two outings. We're not sold on the cruise idea but it is not out of the question. I just think the the idea of renting a villa/condo and a jeep would make for a more interesting trip.
Thanks, Fodors folks! I know there are a lot of you out there that can help us narrow the choices and hit the good spots.
Island itinerary help - 12/20 to 12/9 or so, 2 adults, 2 teens
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Clearest water and All Inclusive
- 2 multiple family beach vacation
- 3 DR All Inclusive for Woman's getway
- 4 Need a new vacation spot!
- 5 Sailing in the Abacos, Bahamas
- 6 2015 Family vacation: Best Bang on a budget
- 7 June Caribbean Vacation...where?
- 8 Mid October Honeymoon
- 9 Summer family vacation
- 10 St Croix Trip Report - Memorial Day Week
- 11 Recommendations for Caribbean Getaway from New York
- 12 Caribbean with grown kids
- 13 Wedding/Honeymoon All In One...Looking for Helpful Advice
- 14 All Inclusive Honeymoon
- 15 Honeymoon destination?
- 16 Best All Inclusive for my needs.........Ideas???
- 17 Punta Cana - Adults Only favorite
- 18 Need help with a Caribbean Destination Wedding-REVISED
- 19 St. Patrick's Day in Aruba
- 20 Fort de France as a base to explore Martinique?
- 21 First tropical vacation, any tips?
- 22 Anguilla Beaches
- 23 Comments regarding this Puerto Rico condo?
- 24 Cuba help!
- 25 Just posted my Key West trip report and photos