I am going to the Dominican Republic this summer on a volunteer program. I will be living and eating with other interns so my question is more about daily life. How safe is it to walk around in the city areas? Are there certain precautions that I need to take, especially as a woman? I speak Spanish, not like a native but pretty well, so just wondering how that would impact my time there. I don't know if this is going to make any difference but, I am Indian and in Mexico (where I was for 3 months), the locals mistook me for Mexican so I didn't really have that much trouble acclimatizing with the country. Any thoughts on how that could translate into the DR point of view?
Any suggestions, advice, tips, places to see, things to do, precautions to take, etc will be much appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Rent Oceanfront Villa with Staff
- 2 Havana hotel questions, and assorted others
- 3 How to get to Havanna
- 4 Cuba Help
- 5 Cuba via cruise
- 6 BVI: Comparable Islands?
- 7 st.thomas vs st. croix
- 8 Is everything open on elbow cay in early nov?
- 9 Grand Cayman Top Dining and To-do's
- 10 Cuban Cigar & Scavenger Hunt - Travel Report
- 11 Booking hotels in Cuba
- 12 Restaurants & Activities In Grand Cayman
- 13 Barbados Beach and Hotel Question
- 14 Living in the Caribbean
- 15 Young Couple Looking for a Vacation Destination
- 16 Exumas, Abacos or Eleuthera?
- 17 Nassau Restaurants & Activities
- 18 Honeymoon ideas Quick!
- 19 Where to stay 3 days Montego Bay.
- 20 Marriott St Kitts vs 4 Seasons Nevis
- 21 Where to stay 3 days Montego Bay.
- 22 5 day pre cruise stay in San Juan
- 23 Starting Hurricane Irma thread
- 24 Seeking a boutique/intimate Caribbean honeymoon in March 2018
- 25 Looking for fab day tour in Ocho Rios