I am going to the Dominican Republic this summer on a volunteer program. I will be living and eating with other interns so my question is more about daily life. How safe is it to walk around in the city areas? Are there certain precautions that I need to take, especially as a woman? I speak Spanish, not like a native but pretty well, so just wondering how that would impact my time there. I don't know if this is going to make any difference but, I am Indian and in Mexico (where I was for 3 months), the locals mistook me for Mexican so I didn't really have that much trouble acclimatizing with the country. Any thoughts on how that could translate into the DR point of view?
Any suggestions, advice, tips, places to see, things to do, precautions to take, etc will be much appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Ten reasons you might not want to visit Cuba
- 2 not sure where to go caymen island or panama city panama
- 3 What does Turks Beaches day pass include?
- 4 Cuba for 6 days
- 5 Credit Card-Carrying US Independent Travelers Go to Cuba
- 6 Upcoming Cuba Trip
- 7 Using USA credit cards in Cuba
- 8 Casual dining in San Juan area
- 9 Caribbean Vacation Advice
- 10 Honeymoon destination help!!!!!
- 11 Honeymoon Help!!
- 12 when to visit barbados
- 13 Barbados Beaches
- 14 Punta Cana
- 15 Family Friendly Resort w/ Fam of 5 (+1?)
- 16 Puerto Rico Questions: elec conv? hiking boots for El Yunque/
- 17 Suggestions for a 1 month first visit?
- 18 Surfing School recomendations, Puerto Rico?
- 19 Nonstop Flights from East Coast to Martinique and Guadeloupe from the US
- 20 Unwinding and Warming Up on Eleuthera
- 21 Havana City Walk - Travel Report
- 22 Restaurant Recommendations
- 23 Trouble booking hotels!
- 24 Tropical Island Trip HELP
- 25 Airport transfer PUJ