I am going to the Dominican Republic this summer on a volunteer program. I will be living and eating with other interns so my question is more about daily life. How safe is it to walk around in the city areas? Are there certain precautions that I need to take, especially as a woman? I speak Spanish, not like a native but pretty well, so just wondering how that would impact my time there. I don't know if this is going to make any difference but, I am Indian and in Mexico (where I was for 3 months), the locals mistook me for Mexican so I didn't really have that much trouble acclimatizing with the country. Any thoughts on how that could translate into the DR point of view?
Any suggestions, advice, tips, places to see, things to do, precautions to take, etc will be much appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Grand Cayman Top Dining and To-do's
- 2 First trip to St. Martin
- 3 Bermuda Babymoon Late March/Early April
- 4 Which Caribbean island to choose?
- 5 Hotel ideas needed
- 6 BVI trip questions
- 7 St.Lucia newbie
- 8 Jerk Chicken
- 9 Easy from St Kitts, Mahoe Bay, etc.
- 10 Cuba Cell Phones and Casa Tips
- 11 Credit Card-Carrying US Independent Travelers Go to Cuba
- 12 St. Martin: cost of transportation to Grand Case
- 13 aruba fun!!!
- 14 How to avoid nudity in St. Maarten.
- 15 Peterson
- 16 In search of rum and revolution - Mr & Mrs Annhig go to Cuba.
- 17 Anguilla - where to rent a car
- 18 Honeymoon destination help!!!!!
- 19 Antigua vs. Barbados vs. Jamaica
- 20 Turks and caicos
- 21 Aruba weather
- 22 BFF Trip, 3 girls, 7-8 days total. Suggestions???
- 23 Dominican Republic self drive tour
- 24 Turks and caicos
- 25 Cruise stop activities