We're starting to plan our trip for next Feb and are having a hard time picking between Grenada and the DR. Would love your opinions...Our main criteria are:
-direct short flight from NYC
-vibrant, friendly local culture
-small-scale, locally run tourism
-affordable (less than 70$ a night) accomodation options
-not overly americanized
-deserted, swimmable beaches, preferably some with waves
-waterfalls with swimming, and privacy (ie not like Dunn's River)
-great, cheap food
-ability to rent a car and drive safely (roads don't need to be great condition, we had an adventure driving in Costa Rica, but want to avoid the kind of maniacal driving you find on Jamaican roads for instance)
Both destinations seem to offer these things...is that right? Any thoughts on which we might prefer? My major concern with the DR is that it is over-run with AIs, with Grenada I am wondering if we can do it on a budget?
Thanks for any and all help! - Amy
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 RELIABLE LOAN OFFER
- 2 would it be safe to drive from negril to port antonino?
- 3 50th Birthday Trip in Nov
- 4 Calling Beach and Island Lovers .. Need your Advice!!..
- 5 Late May Trip
- 6 St Thomas Hotel by Airport
- 7 West Bay or Seven Stars
- 8 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 9 Cheers to Beers!
- 10 Where To Go Post Xmas- Mid Jaunary for under $4G
- 11 any advice about the Cayman Islands?
- 12 New Years Eve / St John
- 13 St Lucia Trip Report 2014 Bay Gardens Beach Resort
- 14 Island Choice
- 15 Aruba Car Rental
- 16 If we loved Cayman...
- 17 Harbor Island ?? Anyone
- 18 Caribbean Christmas with teenagers
- 19 For the bluest water and whitest sand?
- 20 Anguilla Trip Report & Photos 6/26-7/3 2016
- 21 HELP! St Croix or Cancun
- 22 Good time of year to visit Turks & Caicos
- 23 aruba planning advice
- 24 Post Christmas to Mid January Getaway For Two
- 25 Woman, alone, islandhopping