We're starting to plan our trip for next Feb and are having a hard time picking between Grenada and the DR. Would love your opinions...Our main criteria are:
-direct short flight from NYC
-vibrant, friendly local culture
-small-scale, locally run tourism
-affordable (less than 70$ a night) accomodation options
-not overly americanized
-deserted, swimmable beaches, preferably some with waves
-waterfalls with swimming, and privacy (ie not like Dunn's River)
-great, cheap food
-ability to rent a car and drive safely (roads don't need to be great condition, we had an adventure driving in Costa Rica, but want to avoid the kind of maniacal driving you find on Jamaican roads for instance)
Both destinations seem to offer these things...is that right? Any thoughts on which we might prefer? My major concern with the DR is that it is over-run with AIs, with Grenada I am wondering if we can do it on a budget?
Thanks for any and all help! - Amy
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Aruba trip report (first time visitors)
- 2 St. Maarten with older teens
- 3 Samana - Dominican Republic Help
- 4 Trip Report Vieques and San Juan, Jan. 30 - Feb. 6 2016
- 5 Tortola Where to stay on a Budget?!
- 6 Restaurant selection in Grand Case
- 7 San Juan Restaurant Rec for 48
- 8 4 days in PR !! Need some help
- 9 Looking for destination suggestions
- 10 Favorite Anguilla Restaurants
- 11 Virgin Islands, Bahamas, or Puerto Rico
- 12 In search of rum and revolution - Mr & Mrs Annhig go to Cuba.
- 13 Which of these hotels in Turks?
- 14 Help! Adventure vacation ideas
- 15 Suggestions for 75th Birthday for father
- 16 Special Trip for Mom - 83
- 17 Manchebo Aruba Trip Report - August 2015
- 18 Any suggestions??
- 19 Gustavia stay
- 20 Dominican Republic vs Mexico
- 21 My week in Guadeloupe
- 22 Ridiculous Airfare to Virgin Gorda
- 23 Which Island?
- 24 Planning ~$1000/person AI vacation from DC
- 25 Limin' in Love City (Dec 6-11 St. John trip report w/photos)