We're starting to plan our trip for next Feb and are having a hard time picking between Grenada and the DR. Would love your opinions...Our main criteria are:
-direct short flight from NYC
-vibrant, friendly local culture
-small-scale, locally run tourism
-affordable (less than 70$ a night) accomodation options
-not overly americanized
-deserted, swimmable beaches, preferably some with waves
-waterfalls with swimming, and privacy (ie not like Dunn's River)
-great, cheap food
-ability to rent a car and drive safely (roads don't need to be great condition, we had an adventure driving in Costa Rica, but want to avoid the kind of maniacal driving you find on Jamaican roads for instance)
Both destinations seem to offer these things...is that right? Any thoughts on which we might prefer? My major concern with the DR is that it is over-run with AIs, with Grenada I am wondering if we can do it on a budget?
Thanks for any and all help! - Amy
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Help with small wedding location
- 2 Virgin Gorda Trip Report - lots of photos!
- 3 First Caribbean Destination
- 4 Royalton Resorts
- 5 Cuba - all inclusive suggestion
- 6 Nassau Bahamas
- 7 Punta Cana Excursions
- 8 Paradise island in Bahama
- 9 Vacation recommendations
- 10 Average prices for taxis in Havana
- 11 The Crane Resort - Stay Away!!!
- 12 Caribbean Honeymoon Help!
- 13 In search of rum and revolution - Mr & Mrs Annhig go to Cuba.
- 14 Best Quiet Peacfull Island to Rent a Vacation Home?
- 15 What island for a solo female traveler to the Caribbean
- 16 St. Thomas or Turks and Caicos in October?
- 17 BVI trip questions
- 18 Curaçao and girls?
- 19 Small Carribean Hotel
- 20 Canadian Travel Agent for Cuba hotels
- 21 customs questions
- 22 Turks and Caicos or St. Thomas in October?
- 23 Biking in Caribbean
- 24 Which Island for Travelling Without a Resort?
- 25 Two Highly Recommended Tour Companies for Travel to Cuba