We're starting to plan our trip for next Feb and are having a hard time picking between Grenada and the DR. Would love your opinions...Our main criteria are:
-direct short flight from NYC
-vibrant, friendly local culture
-small-scale, locally run tourism
-affordable (less than 70$ a night) accomodation options
-not overly americanized
-deserted, swimmable beaches, preferably some with waves
-waterfalls with swimming, and privacy (ie not like Dunn's River)
-great, cheap food
-ability to rent a car and drive safely (roads don't need to be great condition, we had an adventure driving in Costa Rica, but want to avoid the kind of maniacal driving you find on Jamaican roads for instance)
Both destinations seem to offer these things...is that right? Any thoughts on which we might prefer? My major concern with the DR is that it is over-run with AIs, with Grenada I am wondering if we can do it on a budget?
Thanks for any and all help! - Amy
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Welltravbrit's Cuba Trip Report - Finally!
- 2 Puerto Plata Lifestyle Crown Residence Suites
- 3 Cuba weather in March
- 4 Best Luxury Place to Stay in T&C
- 5 St Lucia - Where to Stay
- 6 aruba planning advice
- 7 Move to grand cayman
- 8 Bitter End Yacht Club or somewhere else?
- 9 Looking for affordable, secluded honeymoon bungalow/villa?
- 10 Malaria Punta Cana
- 11 Fun Ideas for Christmas Eve Family Dinner?
- 12 What to pack for Bahamas in Dec.
- 13 Last min 5 night stay suggestion
- 14 Cuba for 6 Americans
- 15 New Destination
- 16 Which island for first visit? April/May
- 17 Bahamas help
- 18 Cayman VS Jamaica
- 19 Hilton Rose Hall Jamaica for toddlers -- how's the food?
- 20 Vacation suggestion, please
- 21 Best use of 800,000 Hilton points for family with toddlers?
- 22 Good time of year to visit Turks & Caicos
- 23 ANTIGUA & DOMINICAN REPUBLIC CASINO SCAM ALERT!!
- 24 Best Itinerary - Brazil, Puerto Rico, Dom Republic and Cuba
- 25 Fun Family Lunch Spot in Anguilla?