We're starting to plan our trip for next Feb and are having a hard time picking between Grenada and the DR. Would love your opinions...Our main criteria are:
-direct short flight from NYC
-vibrant, friendly local culture
-small-scale, locally run tourism
-affordable (less than 70$ a night) accomodation options
-not overly americanized
-deserted, swimmable beaches, preferably some with waves
-waterfalls with swimming, and privacy (ie not like Dunn's River)
-great, cheap food
-ability to rent a car and drive safely (roads don't need to be great condition, we had an adventure driving in Costa Rica, but want to avoid the kind of maniacal driving you find on Jamaican roads for instance)
Both destinations seem to offer these things...is that right? Any thoughts on which we might prefer? My major concern with the DR is that it is over-run with AIs, with Grenada I am wondering if we can do it on a budget?
Thanks for any and all help! - Amy
Grenada or DR for February 2008?
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Carry on size Bahamas
- 2 Turks and Caicos - Best Time to Book Accomodation
- 3 Vacation Ideas
- 4 St John March, where to stay
- 5 The right adults-only resort
- 6 Cuba - Questions about Phone/Internet/Currency
- 7 Jamaica vs. Barbados
- 8 1st time to Caribbean/Turks & Caicos - suggestions
- 9 Cupecoy Beach
- 10 Tips for bahamas
- 11 St. Martin/Nevis Trip Report
- 12 Seven Mile Beach Questions
- 13 First time to Puerto Rico need advise please
- 14 condo / villa with kids, on the beach
- 15 My trip report from 10/23 - 11/1/14 - St. John USVI's
- 16 Bay Gardens Beach Hotel in St Lucia
- 17 Barbados with two kids under 4.
- 18 walkable hotels
- 19 Colony Club Barbados OR Sandals Great Exuma Bahamas????
- 20 Back from San Juan
- 21 St Thomas
- 22 Cheapest excursions in Punta Cana?
- 23 St Thomas need condo advice and trip plans
- 24 Grenada - Coyaba vs. Flamboyant
- 25 Aruba Restaurants