I’ve wanted to post for several weeks, and let everyone know that we had a fabulous Turks and Caicos vacation, thanks to all of you. The advice We've read on Fodors has been very helpful.
We flew American Airlines, with a stop in Miami, which was much easier than I thought it would be. The Miami airport looks new, and we had a lot of time between flights. It was nice to find our connecting flight, then eat a late breakfast and do some shopping, since it helped keep our seven year old daughter occupied.
After reading and hearing about the different resorts, we chose Villa del Mar. Our budget wasn’t enormous, but we still wanted to stay somewhere that was nice, clean, and fairly new. My wife and I called Turks and Caicos Reservations (another tip we read) and they were very helpful. We thought we wanted our room to be front beach, but the cost of ocean front rooms were beyond our budget. So, we took a chance with Villa del Mar, based on their advice, and were so glad we did.
Our room at Villa del Mar was as nice as any hotel where we’ve stayed. The deluxe room had a kitchenette (fridge, microwave, sink, eating utensils, coffee maker, etc.). The bathroom was huge, and the king-size bed with pull-out sofa was perfect for the three of us.
I’m an early riser, so most mornings I’d walk down to the pool for the complimentary breakfast, then bring breakfast back for my wife and daughter to eat on our balcony. It was perfect.
Words can’t describe how beautiful Grace Bay is. Definitely the prettiest beach and water we’ve ever seen. Villa del Mar has chairs, umbrellas, and towels, along with staff to bring drinks and water. We never wanted to leave. Our daughter made friends with a family staying next door at Grace Bay Club, so she was happy to have other children to play with.
Most days we made sandwiches for the beach. There’s a large grocery store nearby that we could walk to. We also walked to the Seaside Café a couple of times for lunch. It’s a nice, casual beachfront restaurant, and not too expensive.
We dined out every evening at Caicos Café, Coco Bistro, Garam Masala, Shark Bite (very casual), and Seaside Café. They were all very good, but Coco Bistro was our favorite. The setting with palm trees was like nothing we’d ever seen.
Turks and Caicos Reservations gave us a free rental car for a day, which was nice. I was nervous about driving on the left side, but it was easier than I thought it would be. Other than driving to the marina for dinner at Shark Bite, we didn’t use the car very much. If I had planned better, we might have used the car to see Chalk Sound instead. We also had to take a taxi to Coco Bistro, and the airport. I had read that taxis are expensive, and it’s true. The next time we visit, we’ll probably rent a car for two or three days.
Our five days were the best vacation we’ve taken, and thanks again to blamona, caribzack, and all the Fodors people who answer questions on this website. Your suggestions and advice were very helpful.
I guess it’s time to begin planning our next Turks vacation? LOL
Great vacation -- Thank you, everyone!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Guide to Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas
- 2 Best places for Honeymoon!!
- 3 Tipping at AI
- 4 First time visit to Turks & Caicos -- would love advice on the island!!
- 5 Having trouble finding nonstop flights from Boston
- 6 Traveling Solo
- 7 What happened to the Maho Bay Campground property on St. John?
- 8 A Volcanic Paradise
- 9 Best Singles Vacation 35-50 in Caribbean
- 10 Turks & Caicos - no kids
- 11 Anniversary Cruise Struggling with Excursions
- 12 Food at Cove Eleuthera
- 13 St. Kitts, the details
- 14 which Caribbean Islands don't have a big stray animal problem
- 15 Please help a beach vacation novice: Turks & Caicos vs. St. John vs. ...?
- 16 Vacation Review: Topic Follow-Up
- 17 Out islands of the Bahamas. Exumas? Abaco?
- 18 Out islands, Bahamas referral
- 19 Scrub Island vs Turks and Caicos
- 20 St. Thomas trip with 7 year old
- 21 Help me pick an island for my first Caribbean trip
- 22 8 TUFF MILES
- 23 Puerto Rico Nightlife?
- 24 1 week in San Juan
- 25 AI in Punta Cana, DR? Or nearby?