Hello Fellow Fodorites,
My wife and I are planning a trip to Grand Cayman during January, and were thinking of the following itinerary:
Spend a day snorkeling at Stingray City, the Sandbar and perhaps Coral Gardens - on a North Sound Snorkel and Lunch Tour. Visit George Town and see the Cayman Island National Museum and the Art Gallery in town. Rent a car for the day and visit Pedro St. James Castle, Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park and take the Blue Iguana Safari tour there. Rent bicycles and ride up along the north coast to visit the Cayman Turtle Farm (aka: Boatswain's Beach). I would also do a few dives (USS Kittiwake, Cali and Oro Verde wrecks, as well as Eden's Rock and Devil's Grotto), and perhaps take a Jetski Snorkel Safari. How does this sound? We'll have about 6 full days. And now, a few questions:
1. To visit the sites out east (Pedro St. James and the Botanic Gardnes/Blue Iguana) - is it easier and more economical to rent a car for the day, take public buses out of George Town, or take a guided tour? How is the driving on the island (on the left!)?
2. Is Grand Cayman a good/safe place to bike ride? Where do most folks bike? (I've heard the traffic around 7-mile beach and Georgetown can by pretty intense.)
3. Is the Turtle Farm/Boatswain's Beach worth the rather hefty price tag? I understand the "dry" tour of the turtle tanks only - is $30pp, while a full park "wet" tour is $45pp.
4. Has anybody taken the guided motorcycle tour with Cayman Custom Cycle? How was it?
Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 How Early to Arrive at St Maarten Airport?
- 2 Safe to VRBO in Puerto Rico?
- 3 Can I take alcohol?
- 4 Cuba
- 5 Scrub Island Resort
- 6 Virgin Gorda? 5-Year Anniversary Trip
- 7 Culinary Employment Iles Des Saintes
- 8 Island recommendation
- 9 Need Trip Ideas For Late July
- 10 Turks & Caicos or another island for a short getaway from NYC?
- 11 Zika-Free All-Inclusive Vacation
- 12 Best place to buy a vacation property I can also rent out...with a twist
- 13 Vacationing Single in Grand Cayman
- 14 Family vacation for divers
- 15 Trip Report: St. John Villa Rental
- 16 Which Caribbean island is best for my family?
- 17 Island advice plz!
- 18 Cubarinking water?
- 19 First time to PR
- 20 St. John Trip Report
- 21 Aussie couple's 3/4 week trip
- 22 St Kitts' Bakery
- 23 Which Island - Family Getaway
- 24 Looking for the perfect Island in the Carribean
- 25 Coral Sands, Exuma
Hello Fellow Fodorites,