Hello Fellow Fodorites,
My wife and I are planning a trip to Grand Cayman during January, and were thinking of the following itinerary:
Spend a day snorkeling at Stingray City, the Sandbar and perhaps Coral Gardens - on a North Sound Snorkel and Lunch Tour. Visit George Town and see the Cayman Island National Museum and the Art Gallery in town. Rent a car for the day and visit Pedro St. James Castle, Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park and take the Blue Iguana Safari tour there. Rent bicycles and ride up along the north coast to visit the Cayman Turtle Farm (aka: Boatswain's Beach). I would also do a few dives (USS Kittiwake, Cali and Oro Verde wrecks, as well as Eden's Rock and Devil's Grotto), and perhaps take a Jetski Snorkel Safari. How does this sound? We'll have about 6 full days. And now, a few questions:
1. To visit the sites out east (Pedro St. James and the Botanic Gardnes/Blue Iguana) - is it easier and more economical to rent a car for the day, take public buses out of George Town, or take a guided tour? How is the driving on the island (on the left!)?
2. Is Grand Cayman a good/safe place to bike ride? Where do most folks bike? (I've heard the traffic around 7-mile beach and Georgetown can by pretty intense.)
3. Is the Turtle Farm/Boatswain's Beach worth the rather hefty price tag? I understand the "dry" tour of the turtle tanks only - is $30pp, while a full park "wet" tour is $45pp.
4. Has anybody taken the guided motorcycle tour with Cayman Custom Cycle? How was it?
Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Welltravbrit's Cuba Trip Report - Finally!
- 2 Move to grand cayman
- 3 Bitter End Yacht Club or somewhere else?
- 4 Looking for affordable, secluded honeymoon bungalow/villa?
- 5 Malaria Punta Cana
- 6 aruba planning advice
- 7 Fun Ideas for Christmas Eve Family Dinner?
- 8 What to pack for Bahamas in Dec.
- 9 Best Luxury Place to Stay in T&C
- 10 Last min 5 night stay suggestion
- 11 Cuba for 6 Americans
- 12 New Destination
- 13 Which island for first visit? April/May
- 14 St Lucia - Where to Stay
- 15 Bahamas help
- 16 Cayman VS Jamaica
- 17 Hilton Rose Hall Jamaica for toddlers -- how's the food?
- 18 Vacation suggestion, please
- 19 Best use of 800,000 Hilton points for family with toddlers?
- 20 Good time of year to visit Turks & Caicos
- 21 ANTIGUA & DOMINICAN REPUBLIC CASINO SCAM ALERT!!
- 22 Best Itinerary - Brazil, Puerto Rico, Dom Republic and Cuba
- 23 Fun Family Lunch Spot in Anguilla?
- 24 Thanksgiving Week in St. Thomas
- 25 Transfer from Havana to Varadero
Hello Fellow Fodorites,