Hello Fellow Fodorites,
My wife and I are planning a trip to Grand Cayman during January, and were thinking of the following itinerary:
Spend a day snorkeling at Stingray City, the Sandbar and perhaps Coral Gardens - on a North Sound Snorkel and Lunch Tour. Visit George Town and see the Cayman Island National Museum and the Art Gallery in town. Rent a car for the day and visit Pedro St. James Castle, Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park and take the Blue Iguana Safari tour there. Rent bicycles and ride up along the north coast to visit the Cayman Turtle Farm (aka: Boatswain's Beach). I would also do a few dives (USS Kittiwake, Cali and Oro Verde wrecks, as well as Eden's Rock and Devil's Grotto), and perhaps take a Jetski Snorkel Safari. How does this sound? We'll have about 6 full days. And now, a few questions:
1. To visit the sites out east (Pedro St. James and the Botanic Gardnes/Blue Iguana) - is it easier and more economical to rent a car for the day, take public buses out of George Town, or take a guided tour? How is the driving on the island (on the left!)?
2. Is Grand Cayman a good/safe place to bike ride? Where do most folks bike? (I've heard the traffic around 7-mile beach and Georgetown can by pretty intense.)
3. Is the Turtle Farm/Boatswain's Beach worth the rather hefty price tag? I understand the "dry" tour of the turtle tanks only - is $30pp, while a full park "wet" tour is $45pp.
4. Has anybody taken the guided motorcycle tour with Cayman Custom Cycle? How was it?
Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Honeymoon destination help!!!!!
- 2 How to avoid nudity in St. Maarten.
- 3 Anguilla - where to rent a car
- 4 Antigua vs. Barbados vs. Jamaica
- 5 Credit Card-Carrying US Independent Travelers Go to Cuba
- 6 Turks and caicos
- 7 St.Lucia newbie
- 8 Aruba weather
- 9 BFF Trip, 3 girls, 7-8 days total. Suggestions???
- 10 Dominican Republic self drive tour
- 11 Turks and caicos
- 12 Cruise stop activities
- 13 Choosing an island for summer vacation
- 14 Jade Mountain
- 15 Honeymoon Help!!
- 16 Which Caribbean island to choose?
- 17 Bermuda
- 18 Restaurant Suggestions
- 19 St. Martin: cost of transportation to Grand Case
- 20 Havana Cuba for 2 days
- 21 Mid-Twenties couple looking for a lively, gorgeous resort
- 22 Restrictions on US Military travel to Cuba?
- 23 Taxi info. Self touring
- 24 In search of place to take adult daughters on a girls' week away
- 25 1st timer Ann Trip Suggestions for All Inclusive/Adult Only Resort
Hello Fellow Fodorites,