My fiancee and I are planning a honeymoon for May 2013 and have decided we will spend 5 days in the Caribbean to relax at the end of a longer trip to South America (Peru and Ecuador). For the 5 days (4 nights), we will have a budget of about US$4,000 for both of us on accommodation, air tickets (out of NY) and other misc items.
We are a couple in our late twenties and consider the following as the most important criteria: 1) uncrowded and romantic beaches with the clearest bluest water and white sand and 2) we also like to explore a bit (either by dinghy or by car) around the island to try different restaurants and hit up different beaches so we prefer not to stay somewhere where we will be stranded at the resort.
Based on all the research and helpful comments from this forum, we have currently narrowed down to the following choices:
1) Anguilla - beautiful white sand and turquoise water, excellent dining scene and also easy to drive around and explore different beaches, luxurious resort (CuisinArt, Cap Juluca)
2) Bahamas Out Islands (Eleuthera, Abacos, Exumas) - beautiful water and white sand as well, but a bit more off the beaten path, very casual atmosphere, can drive around as well as boat around to deserted beaches, dining so so
3) Turks & Caicos - again beautiful water and sand, easy to drive around, a bit more commercialized (especially Grace Bay compared to Anguilla and Out Islands), good dining, luxurious resorts (Somerset, Regent Palms)
Also consider BVI / USVI but thought these are three are more suitable. Just want to see what recommendations you have for us? Many thanks!!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 West Coast US and Carribean
- 2 St. John--how much should we try to see?
- 3 Nywoman goes to Cuba June 2015
- 4 Activities/Tours in Aruba
- 5 Turks & Caicos ofr New Years
- 6 Resort Recommendations
- 7 All-inclusive experts, I need your help, please!
- 8 Family friendly but low key resort?
- 9 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 10 Tour Operator?
- 11 Travel Advice Needed
- 12 Puerto Plata
- 13 Puerto Plata- Hacienda Lifestyle resorts and villas
- 14 puerto plata town vs. sosua? need help.......
- 15 Puerto Plata: Cofresi Palm Beach or Blue Bay?
- 16 Quick Question: Why is Puerto Plata, DR so much cheaper than Punta Cana, DR
- 17 Resort hotels on St Croix
- 18 Where to go with a 5-1/2 hr layover in Nassau?
- 19 Transportation to Exuma
- 20 Nassau temp late Jan
- 21 St. Martin vs St. Maarten and what area or Antigua or Barbuda and what area
- 22 Sandals, Montego Bay
- 23 Jamaica - Couples Negril or Sandals Royal Caribbean (Montego)
- 24 Any All-Inclusive Resort Recommendations?
- 25 Hotel on beach, montego bay w/some good reggae