My fiancee and I are planning a honeymoon for May 2013 and have decided we will spend 5 days in the Caribbean to relax at the end of a longer trip to South America (Peru and Ecuador). For the 5 days (4 nights), we will have a budget of about US$4,000 for both of us on accommodation, air tickets (out of NY) and other misc items.
We are a couple in our late twenties and consider the following as the most important criteria: 1) uncrowded and romantic beaches with the clearest bluest water and white sand and 2) we also like to explore a bit (either by dinghy or by car) around the island to try different restaurants and hit up different beaches so we prefer not to stay somewhere where we will be stranded at the resort.
Based on all the research and helpful comments from this forum, we have currently narrowed down to the following choices:
1) Anguilla - beautiful white sand and turquoise water, excellent dining scene and also easy to drive around and explore different beaches, luxurious resort (CuisinArt, Cap Juluca)
2) Bahamas Out Islands (Eleuthera, Abacos, Exumas) - beautiful water and white sand as well, but a bit more off the beaten path, very casual atmosphere, can drive around as well as boat around to deserted beaches, dining so so
3) Turks & Caicos - again beautiful water and sand, easy to drive around, a bit more commercialized (especially Grace Bay compared to Anguilla and Out Islands), good dining, luxurious resorts (Somerset, Regent Palms)
Also consider BVI / USVI but thought these are three are more suitable. Just want to see what recommendations you have for us? Many thanks!!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Lose Weight During The Holidays
- 2 Credit Card-Carrying US Independent Travelers Go to Cuba
- 3 How to avoid nudity in St. Maarten.
- 4 Choosing an island for summer vacation
- 5 Which Caribbean island to choose?
- 6 Bermuda
- 7 Restaurant Suggestions
- 8 St. Martin: cost of transportation to Grand Case
- 9 Honeymoon Help!!
- 10 Aruba weather
- 11 Havana Cuba for 2 days
- 12 Mid-Twenties couple looking for a lively, gorgeous resort
- 13 BFF Trip, 3 girls, 7-8 days total. Suggestions???
- 14 Restrictions on US Military travel to Cuba?
- 15 Taxi info. Self touring
- 16 In search of place to take adult daughters on a girls' week away
- 17 1st timer Ann Trip Suggestions for All Inclusive/Adult Only Resort
- 18 Half Moon Montego Bay questions
- 19 place to take kids for the day in falmouth jamica
- 20 Discovery Bay, Jamaica
- 21 In search of rum and revolution - Mr & Mrs Annhig go to Cuba.
- 22 8 days in USVI, St. Thomas safe yet?
- 23 Tips for Foodie Adventurers in Puerto Rico
- 24 Want to snorkel from hotel beach
- 25 St Lucia - Anse Chastenat - Crazy rate for a basic room without any confort