My fiancee and I are planning a honeymoon for May 2013 and have decided we will spend 5 days in the Caribbean to relax at the end of a longer trip to South America (Peru and Ecuador). For the 5 days (4 nights), we will have a budget of about US$4,000 for both of us on accommodation, air tickets (out of NY) and other misc items.
We are a couple in our late twenties and consider the following as the most important criteria: 1) uncrowded and romantic beaches with the clearest bluest water and white sand and 2) we also like to explore a bit (either by dinghy or by car) around the island to try different restaurants and hit up different beaches so we prefer not to stay somewhere where we will be stranded at the resort.
Based on all the research and helpful comments from this forum, we have currently narrowed down to the following choices:
1) Anguilla - beautiful white sand and turquoise water, excellent dining scene and also easy to drive around and explore different beaches, luxurious resort (CuisinArt, Cap Juluca)
2) Bahamas Out Islands (Eleuthera, Abacos, Exumas) - beautiful water and white sand as well, but a bit more off the beaten path, very casual atmosphere, can drive around as well as boat around to deserted beaches, dining so so
3) Turks & Caicos - again beautiful water and sand, easy to drive around, a bit more commercialized (especially Grace Bay compared to Anguilla and Out Islands), good dining, luxurious resorts (Somerset, Regent Palms)
Also consider BVI / USVI but thought these are three are more suitable. Just want to see what recommendations you have for us? Many thanks!!
For the bluest water and whitest sand?
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Seek Advice on 9 days in Samana and possibly Cabarete
- 2 Bahamas girls trip
- 3 Barbados or St. Lucia in late August
- 4 We've done it - we've bought our flights to Cuba. Now the planning begins!
- 5 Need help deciding which resort/island to vacation at in September
- 6 Snorkeling
- 7 ST Thomas trip report with kids at Frenchman Reef and Morningstar
- 8 fish fry on Curacao
- 9 mosquito problem in Curacao
- 10 Place to stay and dive in Curacao for new divers
- 11 Sailing in the Abacos, Bahamas
- 12 One night in Nassau - hotel help
- 13 2 Weeks in Caribbean
- 14 10 days in Cuba - HELP
- 15 Restaurants in Aruba
- 16 Questions about Moving to the Carribean
- 17 Young couple planning June/July trip to Caribbean..where should we go!?
- 18 St. John vs St Thomas with kids (7 and 9) for New Years week?
- 19 Good place to hear music- San Juan
- 20 Solo backpacking in Cuba
- 21 Honeymoon with beaches plus hiking
- 22 I got robbed in St Maarten - St Martin on the French side
- 23 Planning a honeymoon for middle of August
- 24 Puerto Rico Information Needed Please
- 25 USVI St John trip with kids and Westin St John stay