My fiancee and I are planning a honeymoon for May 2013 and have decided we will spend 5 days in the Caribbean to relax at the end of a longer trip to South America (Peru and Ecuador). For the 5 days (4 nights), we will have a budget of about US$4,000 for both of us on accommodation, air tickets (out of NY) and other misc items.
We are a couple in our late twenties and consider the following as the most important criteria: 1) uncrowded and romantic beaches with the clearest bluest water and white sand and 2) we also like to explore a bit (either by dinghy or by car) around the island to try different restaurants and hit up different beaches so we prefer not to stay somewhere where we will be stranded at the resort.
Based on all the research and helpful comments from this forum, we have currently narrowed down to the following choices:
1) Anguilla - beautiful white sand and turquoise water, excellent dining scene and also easy to drive around and explore different beaches, luxurious resort (CuisinArt, Cap Juluca)
2) Bahamas Out Islands (Eleuthera, Abacos, Exumas) - beautiful water and white sand as well, but a bit more off the beaten path, very casual atmosphere, can drive around as well as boat around to deserted beaches, dining so so
3) Turks & Caicos - again beautiful water and sand, easy to drive around, a bit more commercialized (especially Grace Bay compared to Anguilla and Out Islands), good dining, luxurious resorts (Somerset, Regent Palms)
Also consider BVI / USVI but thought these are three are more suitable. Just want to see what recommendations you have for us? Many thanks!!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Upcoming Cuba Trip
- 2 What does Turks Beaches day pass include?
- 3 Ten reasons you might not want to visit Cuba
- 4 Anguilla. House to rent or swap Jan or Fec 2018
- 5 not sure where to go caymen island or panama city panama
- 6 Cuba for 6 days
- 7 Credit Card-Carrying US Independent Travelers Go to Cuba
- 8 Using USA credit cards in Cuba
- 9 Casual dining in San Juan area
- 10 Caribbean Vacation Advice
- 11 Honeymoon destination help!!!!!
- 12 Honeymoon Help!!
- 13 when to visit barbados
- 14 Barbados Beaches
- 15 Punta Cana
- 16 Family Friendly Resort w/ Fam of 5 (+1?)
- 17 Puerto Rico Questions: elec conv? hiking boots for El Yunque/
- 18 Suggestions for a 1 month first visit?
- 19 Surfing School recomendations, Puerto Rico?
- 20 Nonstop Flights from East Coast to Martinique and Guadeloupe from the US
- 21 Unwinding and Warming Up on Eleuthera
- 22 Havana City Walk - Travel Report
- 23 Restaurant Recommendations
- 24 Trouble booking hotels!
- 25 Tropical Island Trip HELP