ACCESSING CULEBRA, PR
Culebra, PR lies between the islands of Puerto Rico (17 miles) and St. Thomas (11 miles). It is readily accessible from Puerto Rico by Ferry, or Small Plane, and of course by private boat. Cost of round trip plane ride from Isla Grande, PR to Culebra is approximately $145 on Vieques Air. Ferry, round trip is around $5.
CAMPING ON PLAYA FLAMENCO - CULEBRA, PR
Jan. 16th to Feb.1st, 2013 will be my seventh stay at Flamenco Beach Campground. I typically stay for two weeks at a time, and have camped there during the months of October, December, January, March, April, May and June. Camp costs are approximately $20/night/tent for up to six persons,
Although I'll be traveling solo, in the past, most campers I've met there are warm and friendly. I've spent many evenings around a camp fire, talking with my new friends about the days activities, and tomorrows plans. The campgrounds are clean and well maintained. Facilities provided include, restrooms, potable water, showers, and BBQ pits.
The following beaches are within easy walking distance from the camp-ground, Flamenco (of course), Tamarindo and Carlos Rosario. Although I am a certified scuba diver, I prefer to snorkel the reefs off of Tamarindo and Luis Pena and in addition to many fish, I frequently see Turtles and rays.
A Jeep or scooter can be rented to access beaches further away. Rasaca and Brava beaches require some hiking but the experience of spending a few hours, or sometimes and entire day on a beautiful beach with no other people around is amazing!!!
As a note to campers, if you happen to forget some equipment, or run out of something while on the island, there are markets in town where you can buy most things you need. In fact, right off the parking lot of Flamenco beach is a Kiosko (Tent City) that rents tents, sleeping bags, etc. In addition to Tent City, there are 4 or 5 other Kioskos that sell great food and drinks.
As an added benefit of camping at Flamenco Beach, as beautiful as the beach is during the day; at night, under a full moon a walk on the beach or a fun dip in the water to cool off before going to bed is absolutely amazing.
On a day trip, a short water taxi ride will get you to Culebrita, a small, uninhabited island a just off of Culebra. Culebrita has an old light-house, great snorkeling and on most days during mid-week the beaches are quiet with few visitors. Take along snacks and sufficient hydration and enjoy the day on Culebrita.
FLAMENCO CAMPGROUND SITE TIP:
“I try to choose a tent site in Zona E at the very end of the camp ground. It is about a 1/4 mile walk from the parking lot at Flamenco, but worth the journey as it is usually much quieter at night. Bring a tent with good ventilation, an air mattress, a light weight sleeping bag and a regular bed sheet. Depending on month, some evenings you will get light rain (5-10 min) so be prepared with a rain fly. It can get cool in the evening so I usually bring a light weight jacket. Oh, and don't forget your hammock ”
Culebra, Puerto Rico, Camping Playa Flamenco
ACCESSING CULEBRA, PR
- 1 Photos from Havana and Vinales May 2013
- 2 Safety in Puerto Rico?
- 3 Comments regarding this Puerto Rico condo?
- 4 Where to go??
- 5 Curacao vs Puerto Rico
- 6 which month has a low heat index in Turks & Caicos
- 7 Staying in Aruba for 1 week in December
- 8 where to travel for 50th birthday with family?
- 9 Sightseeing and Lounging Islands
- 10 Sea Castle Villa Renters Beware!!
- 11 Do restaurants in Bermuda allow corkage/BYO
- 12 puerto rico cruise
- 13 Help choosing an all inclusive resort!
- 14 Gifts for Cubans - ElectricalOutlets
- 15 Active island stay for November solo trip?
- 16 Caribbean Real Estate Jobs
- 17 Best Quaint All Inclusive Resort
- 18 Kid-Friendly All-Inclusives in Caribbean or Cancun
- 19 Recent St. Martin travelers
- 20 Resort near a town?
- 21 Which hotel should we stay at in Aruba?
- 22 Puerto Rico - too much? a.k.a will I be like a coqui hopping all over?
- 23 Freeport to Abaco, how do you do it?
- 24 Ziplines near Rincon/West Coast of Puerto Rico NOT part of a tour
- 25 Mustique -- not so great