I am going to be taking my 8 year olds (boy and girl) to an island in the second week of June. It will likely just be myself (their father) so while I love a good adventure, I also need to keep in mind that it isn't as easy to do with just myself. That said - I don't want to just sit on a beach every single day.
I'll be flying out of New York most likely, as the flights out of Philly are far less convenient.
With that in mind, the three I have in mind are:
- Turks and Caicos
- St. Martin (French side, likely near Anse Marcel)
- Don't want super touristy
- Want good beaches with calm waters
- Good snorkeling a plus but not deal breaker since its their first time
- Decent restaurants that are reasonably casual
- Somewhat different culture than the US (will not be staying at resorts)
Which do people recommend? The budgets that I've seen are all OK regarding flights and lodging, but would be interested to hear differences on things like food and activities, if there is a big difference.
Thanks! I've tried many searches here but haven't gotten exactly what I've been looking for
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Using USA credit cards in Cuba
- 2 Honeymoon Destinations?
- 3 What to do in Barbados with teens?
- 4 All inclusive
- 5 BVI trip questions
- 6 Staniel Cay, Exumas Trip Report & Photos (Feb 2017)
- 7 DR vs. Mexico
- 8 Is a Rental Car Necessary in Nassau?
- 9 Anguilla - where to rent a car
- 10 Puerto Esperanza from Havana
- 11 Family of 5 undecided island
- 12 10 pm arrival St. Maarten
- 13 Avoid Sandals Resort in St Lucia
- 14 family resort ideas?
- 15 Requirements for Americans visiting Cuba
- 16 The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Reall-Punta Cana DR
- 17 Any reason to go stay at a condo in the North Shore or Cayman Kai area?
- 18 First time to Puerto Rico
- 19 Lobster, Heat & Banged Up Feet - Another Awesome Exumas Adventure
- 20 Social Resort for Solo Female
- 21 St Vincent and The Grenadines 11 days trip over Christmas and NYE 2017/2018
- 22 Cuba with preschooler in April
- 23 Caribbean Vacation in May
- 24 Punta Cana
- 25 Is St. Maarten Carnival safe?