I am going to be taking my 8 year olds (boy and girl) to an island in the second week of June. It will likely just be myself (their father) so while I love a good adventure, I also need to keep in mind that it isn't as easy to do with just myself. That said - I don't want to just sit on a beach every single day.
I'll be flying out of New York most likely, as the flights out of Philly are far less convenient.
With that in mind, the three I have in mind are:
- Turks and Caicos
- St. Martin (French side, likely near Anse Marcel)
- Don't want super touristy
- Want good beaches with calm waters
- Good snorkeling a plus but not deal breaker since its their first time
- Decent restaurants that are reasonably casual
- Somewhat different culture than the US (will not be staying at resorts)
Which do people recommend? The budgets that I've seen are all OK regarding flights and lodging, but would be interested to hear differences on things like food and activities, if there is a big difference.
Thanks! I've tried many searches here but haven't gotten exactly what I've been looking for
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 BVI trip questions
- 2 St.Lucia newbie
- 3 Which Caribbean island to choose?
- 4 Jerk Chicken
- 5 Easy from St Kitts, Mahoe Bay, etc.
- 6 Cuba Cell Phones and Casa Tips
- 7 Grand Cayman Top Dining and To-do's
- 8 Credit Card-Carrying US Independent Travelers Go to Cuba
- 9 St. Martin: cost of transportation to Grand Case
- 10 aruba fun!!!
- 11 How to avoid nudity in St. Maarten.
- 12 Peterson
- 13 In search of rum and revolution - Mr & Mrs Annhig go to Cuba.
- 14 Anguilla - where to rent a car
- 15 Honeymoon destination help!!!!!
- 16 Antigua vs. Barbados vs. Jamaica
- 17 Turks and caicos
- 18 Aruba weather
- 19 BFF Trip, 3 girls, 7-8 days total. Suggestions???
- 20 Dominican Republic self drive tour
- 21 Turks and caicos
- 22 Cruise stop activities
- 23 Choosing an island for summer vacation
- 24 Jade Mountain
- 25 Honeymoon Help!!