My husband was shot at the condo unit Serenity del sol in February 2012 during a robbery at the condo unit right beside us. In VRBO it was advertised 24 hour security and a 15 minute walk to Cabarete. The 24 hour security starts at 6:00 pm and most nights you could find him sleeping, the rest of the day there is a pool boy and a housekeeper. The walk is 1 hour on the beach and 45-50 minutes on the road. This area is surrounded by bankrupt all-inclusives and is very dark and dangerous. After contacting the Canadian Consulate we realize just how dangerous the Dominican Republic is. My husband almost died on the way to the hospital, the condo's security guard ran the other way even after my husband pleaded for help. I tried to put a review on VRBO warning people of this condo unit and they would not put my review on. My husband and I are very concerned for vacationers staying in this area.
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 celebrating 40
- 2 Where to go in February/March
- 3 A U.S. citizen's tour to Cuba
- 4 It's Excellent in the Exumas ~ A week on Staniel Cay (+ Atlantis)
- 5 Anguilla Honeymoon in June
- 6 My First Vacation Alone & First Vacation in 13 Years
- 7 looking for rustic on the beach, north side
- 8 Please help me decide to go to Cuba!
- 9 Best place for two single girls in early 20s?!
- 10 Seeking luxury resort with private villas/pools
- 11 St. Thomas Frenchman's Reef Marriot Resort - Need advice
- 12 Which island?
- 13 Puerto Rico Public Transportation
- 14 Planning possible retirement in USVI
- 15 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 16 Need Help..Large group, wedding?
- 17 St. Croix and sea grass
- 18 Multiple flights in Caribbean
- 19 Rainforest Question: Better to do a Tour or go on your own?
- 20 Bahamas Resort
- 21 Which country?
- 22 Seeking general advice on one-to-two-month Caribbean villa rental
- 23 back to TCI, for 3rd time...
- 24 Antigua or St Martin
- 25 South Beach Hotel Barbados