I'm looking for location recommendations for Caribbean island hopping via rental of: kayak, a hobie catamaran, or a small motorized dinghy for my girlfriend and myself.
This is our first vacation in several years, so we're trying to make it count haha.
We're looking for a set of closely grouped tropical islands that we can self-navigate in between via multiple day trips from a base island location. For the base location, I'm looking for a tropical bungalow/guest house with just basic provisions (with hopefully a hammock nearby) - so not a large resort. Ideally we’re looking for a town with at least one hole in the wall bar that serves boozy tropical drinks and local seafood.
The idea would be to paddle/sail/motor between an island or two a day and stop in between and
hangout on the beach(es) and snorkel at leisure. Maybe even do a little fishing from the shore and some light hikes. We're fine with snorkeling from kayaks, or parking the boat on a beach and snorkeling from the shore. We don't plan on camping overnight on the day trip islands to avoid lugging around camping equipment.
We prefer really low crowds, scenic/secluded type areas. Also looking for great tropical beaches and great snorkeling.
Budget: looking at spending less than $120 a night for lodging, and less than $100 a day for gear rental (so relatively low budget).
Trip length: 5-7days.
Time of year: late spring-early summer
Location ideas so far:
-Turks and Caicos
-St. John (USVI)
-Bonaire (I hear this has great snorkeling, but not the best beaches)
Let me know what you think on the locations, and if you have any recommendations on hotels, as well as places to rent equipment from.
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Ten reasons you might not want to visit Cuba
- 2 Suggestions for a 1 month first visit?
- 3 Upcoming Cuba Trip
- 4 What does Turks Beaches day pass include?
- 5 Anguilla. House to rent or swap Jan or Fec 2018
- 6 not sure where to go caymen island or panama city panama
- 7 Cuba for 6 days
- 8 Credit Card-Carrying US Independent Travelers Go to Cuba
- 9 Using USA credit cards in Cuba
- 10 Casual dining in San Juan area
- 11 Caribbean Vacation Advice
- 12 Honeymoon destination help!!!!!
- 13 Honeymoon Help!!
- 14 when to visit barbados
- 15 Barbados Beaches
- 16 Punta Cana
- 17 Family Friendly Resort w/ Fam of 5 (+1?)
- 18 Puerto Rico Questions: elec conv? hiking boots for El Yunque/
- 19 Surfing School recomendations, Puerto Rico?
- 20 Nonstop Flights from East Coast to Martinique and Guadeloupe from the US
- 21 Unwinding and Warming Up on Eleuthera
- 22 Havana City Walk - Travel Report
- 23 Restaurant Recommendations
- 24 Trouble booking hotels!
- 25 Tropical Island Trip HELP