My husband & I would like to rent a villa in the carribean. We have a 3.5 year old and 4 month old. We are interested in a low-key "active vacation" where we can do more than spend our days at the beach. For example, ideally we can head inland for some hikes/exploration. We would like a villa location that is within walking distance to town. We'd like our meals attended to (i.e. toss pre-made meal in boiling water to cook, or stocked fridge or chef, or????) if walking to town isn't an easy 5 min walk. Easy flight access from the US is important. Definitely interested in not being in an AI resort type bubble. Require beaches we visit to be toddler safe- i.e. long distance of shallow water, no tide/current/etc. Budget is not so much an issue.... would prefer an "eco-friendly" style experience in tents but likely a modest villa is more readily available. Luxury level isn't out but really not our cup of tea - unless they have some sort of magnificent (no electronics used) toddler care program. I'd LOVE to be able to hear the surf/ocean at night but realize that doesn't fit the "toddler safe" objective.
Anyways, these are a few of my favorite thoughts I would greatly appreciate any ideas folks might have on either a) carribean island or b) specific area within a particular island for us to visit. I just don't know the islands well enough. My husband and I have traveled extensively around the world as independent travelers from hostels to best small boutique hotels/resorts of the world. Now we're on a new journey as a family - and that changes EVERYTHING We hope to maintain some of our independence while being sensitive to our needs as a family.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Cuba in November
- 2 Best 'Swimming' Beaches in the Caribbean- from SFO
- 3 overwhelmed by the Bahamas!
- 4 7 Adults and a 51/2 month old
- 5 Woman, alone, islandhopping
- 6 Calling Beach and Island Lovers .. Need your Advice!!..
- 7 Evening temperatures
- 8 Choosing Between a Rental on Nassau or Eleuethera
- 9 Grand Cayman Ritz or Sandals Barbados
- 10 50th Birthday with Family
- 11 8 days in USVI, St. Thomas safe yet?
- 12 Birthday Celebration
- 13 DR - All inclusive
- 14 Young adults social scene at club med turks & caicos?
- 15 Young adults find others to spend time with at Club Med Columbus Isle?
- 16 St. Lucia or elsewhere?
- 17 would it be safe to drive from negril to port antonino?
- 18 50th Birthday Trip in Nov
- 19 Late May Trip
- 20 St Thomas Hotel by Airport
- 21 West Bay or Seven Stars
- 22 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 23 Cheers to Beers!
- 24 Where To Go Post Xmas- Mid Jaunary for under $4G
- 25 any advice about the Cayman Islands?