My husband & I would like to rent a villa in the carribean. We have a 3.5 year old and 4 month old. We are interested in a low-key "active vacation" where we can do more than spend our days at the beach. For example, ideally we can head inland for some hikes/exploration. We would like a villa location that is within walking distance to town. We'd like our meals attended to (i.e. toss pre-made meal in boiling water to cook, or stocked fridge or chef, or????) if walking to town isn't an easy 5 min walk. Easy flight access from the US is important. Definitely interested in not being in an AI resort type bubble. Require beaches we visit to be toddler safe- i.e. long distance of shallow water, no tide/current/etc. Budget is not so much an issue.... would prefer an "eco-friendly" style experience in tents but likely a modest villa is more readily available. Luxury level isn't out but really not our cup of tea - unless they have some sort of magnificent (no electronics used) toddler care program. I'd LOVE to be able to hear the surf/ocean at night but realize that doesn't fit the "toddler safe" objective.
Anyways, these are a few of my favorite thoughts I would greatly appreciate any ideas folks might have on either a) carribean island or b) specific area within a particular island for us to visit. I just don't know the islands well enough. My husband and I have traveled extensively around the world as independent travelers from hostels to best small boutique hotels/resorts of the world. Now we're on a new journey as a family - and that changes EVERYTHING We hope to maintain some of our independence while being sensitive to our needs as a family.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Restaurant Recommendations
- 2 Upcoming Cuba Trip
- 3 Havana City Walk - Travel Report
- 4 Tropical Island Trip HELP
- 5 Clear Calm Water Caribbean Destinations
- 6 Mosquitos in Guadeloupe
- 7 Choosing an island for summer vacation
- 8 Family Trip Recommendations: All inclusive, Fast Flight, 2 bedroom
- 9 Credit Card-Carrying US Independent Travelers Go to Cuba
- 10 40 min layover in CLT
- 11 Unwinding and Warming Up on Eleuthera
- 12 Atlantis 1 day
- 13 Atlantis on a budget
- 14 Restaurants in St. Croix
- 15 Great Exuma, Bahamas Trip report with Video
- 16 St. Barts
- 17 Buses in Aruba
- 18 Majestic Elegance PC-if you CAN'T get the adults-only butler section
- 19 Anyone have an experience at Excellence/Majestic Elegance in DR?
- 20 Stingray City Tour
- 21 Clear, alm, warm water and white sand :: April
- 22 Family Friendly Resort w/ Fam of 5 (+1?)
- 23 Bahama's outer island
- 24 Living permanently in the Caribbean
- 25 Family Caribbean vacation in the spring