My husband & I would like to rent a villa in the carribean. We have a 3.5 year old and 4 month old. We are interested in a low-key "active vacation" where we can do more than spend our days at the beach. For example, ideally we can head inland for some hikes/exploration. We would like a villa location that is within walking distance to town. We'd like our meals attended to (i.e. toss pre-made meal in boiling water to cook, or stocked fridge or chef, or????) if walking to town isn't an easy 5 min walk. Easy flight access from the US is important. Definitely interested in not being in an AI resort type bubble. Require beaches we visit to be toddler safe- i.e. long distance of shallow water, no tide/current/etc. Budget is not so much an issue.... would prefer an "eco-friendly" style experience in tents but likely a modest villa is more readily available. Luxury level isn't out but really not our cup of tea - unless they have some sort of magnificent (no electronics used) toddler care program. I'd LOVE to be able to hear the surf/ocean at night but realize that doesn't fit the "toddler safe" objective.
Anyways, these are a few of my favorite thoughts I would greatly appreciate any ideas folks might have on either a) carribean island or b) specific area within a particular island for us to visit. I just don't know the islands well enough. My husband and I have traveled extensively around the world as independent travelers from hostels to best small boutique hotels/resorts of the world. Now we're on a new journey as a family - and that changes EVERYTHING We hope to maintain some of our independence while being sensitive to our needs as a family.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Havana hotel questions, and assorted others
- 2 How to get to Havanna
- 3 Cuba Help
- 4 Cuba via cruise
- 5 BVI: Comparable Islands?
- 6 st.thomas vs st. croix
- 7 Is everything open on elbow cay in early nov?
- 8 Grand Cayman Top Dining and To-do's
- 9 Cuban Cigar & Scavenger Hunt - Travel Report
- 10 Booking hotels in Cuba
- 11 Restaurants & Activities In Grand Cayman
- 12 Barbados Beach and Hotel Question
- 13 Living in the Caribbean
- 14 Young Couple Looking for a Vacation Destination
- 15 Exumas, Abacos or Eleuthera?
- 16 Nassau Restaurants & Activities
- 17 Honeymoon ideas Quick!
- 18 Where to stay 3 days Montego Bay.
- 19 Marriott St Kitts vs 4 Seasons Nevis
- 20 Where to stay 3 days Montego Bay.
- 21 5 day pre cruise stay in San Juan
- 22 Starting Hurricane Irma thread
- 23 Seeking a boutique/intimate Caribbean honeymoon in March 2018
- 24 Looking for fab day tour in Ocho Rios
- 25 How far is Montego Bay from Ocho Rios