My husband & I would like to rent a villa in the carribean. We have a 3.5 year old and 4 month old. We are interested in a low-key "active vacation" where we can do more than spend our days at the beach. For example, ideally we can head inland for some hikes/exploration. We would like a villa location that is within walking distance to town. We'd like our meals attended to (i.e. toss pre-made meal in boiling water to cook, or stocked fridge or chef, or????) if walking to town isn't an easy 5 min walk. Easy flight access from the US is important. Definitely interested in not being in an AI resort type bubble. Require beaches we visit to be toddler safe- i.e. long distance of shallow water, no tide/current/etc. Budget is not so much an issue.... would prefer an "eco-friendly" style experience in tents but likely a modest villa is more readily available. Luxury level isn't out but really not our cup of tea - unless they have some sort of magnificent (no electronics used) toddler care program. I'd LOVE to be able to hear the surf/ocean at night but realize that doesn't fit the "toddler safe" objective.
Anyways, these are a few of my favorite thoughts I would greatly appreciate any ideas folks might have on either a) carribean island or b) specific area within a particular island for us to visit. I just don't know the islands well enough. My husband and I have traveled extensively around the world as independent travelers from hostels to best small boutique hotels/resorts of the world. Now we're on a new journey as a family - and that changes EVERYTHING We hope to maintain some of our independence while being sensitive to our needs as a family.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 2 Days in Dominica
- 2 We've done it - we've bought our flights to Cuba. Now the planning begins!
- 3 Anniversary Trip Options
- 4 Island with golf
- 5 Fort de France as a base to explore Martinique?
- 6 Puerto Rico Trip Report - May, 2015
- 7 4 warnings for the non-seasoned, naïve tourist about to go to St Martin.
- 8 During times of need, let us donate for Nepal earthquake victims
- 9 St Thomas vs Puerto Rico
- 10 Location for 40th birthday celebration with friends
- 11 St. Martin/St. Maarten
- 12 travelling to St kitt and nervis
- 13 45th Birthday Celebration-Help!
- 14 Choosing an island
- 15 Reduit Beach is being ruined
- 16 Seek Advice on 9 days in Samana and possibly Cabarete
- 17 Cabarete & Las Canas, DR: Where can I get info?
- 18 cabarete, dominican republic
- 19 First time Santo Domingo
- 20 20th anniversary
- 21 St. Bart's
- 22 Bahamas girls trip
- 23 Advice on choosing an island...
- 24 What is the best Caribbean island for white sandy beaches
- 25 American Express Card in Bermuda