We just returned from a 5 day trip to the Atlantis. We are a family of 4 with 2 daughters, ages 12 & 15. We went with our guard up after reading many negative reviews and having had our own self-imposed 8 year hiatus after a less than stellar trip in 2001. Well, we had a great time. We stayed in the Royal Towers and were offered a complimentary upgrade to a top level floor with a balcony that allows seating and with a beautiful view of the ocean and parts of the resort including the dolphin cay. As you might know, most only are about 10 inches deep and allow standing only. We were concerned about costs given all the negative reports. The room was clean, the staff was very accommodating and we felt that most meals were fairly priced. We did not do the meal plan and believe that was a good decision for us. We ate light at breakfast (Starbucks at the Marina Village had prices just slightly higher than home), lunch by the pool ($8-10 value meals, including a good size sandwich/wrap/chicken nuggets, plus french fries or chips and refillable soft drink or water). Dinner our first night at the Atlas Bar was awful. Limited menu, high prices, loud and just off the casino. Next night, we opted for Carmines, which was just fine. We shared 1 salad, 1 pasta and 1 chicken disk for about $135. Dinner the next night, we opted for pizza at the Marina Village. This is a self service place with outdoor tables overlooking the mega yachts in the Marina. It was pretty good pizza and we enjoyed it. We shared a salad, large pie and each had our own drinks for about $60. Last night, we splurged on Mesa Grill. All reports said that this was the best restaurant there and we love it in Vegas and New York. Well, Bobby's not there. The food was just so-so and very expensive. Very limited options for the kids also. We had 2 appetizers, some drinks, 4 entrees and 1 dessert for about $275. Dolphin Cay was included in our package and the kids said they were glad we did not pay for it. It was basically all a photo op and then you could not purchase, just 1 or 2 photos. You needed to purchase a package for anywhere from $60-$250. That was a ripoff. The slides were not too crowded, limited lines and great fun. All in all, we had a great time and did not feel that we were nickled and dimed at all contrary to other reports.
Atlantis Paradise Island - Trip Report
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 not tell a litigation a which basically ch
- 2 Jamaica all inclusive
- 3 Barbados/St. John/Turks/Puerto Rico/Curacao/
- 4 Why Barbados?
- 5 Bahamas Out Islands OR Turks & Caicos for family of teens?!
- 6 Can you travel to Cuba without a group?
- 7 Cuba Opening Up
- 8 Looking for deep sea fishing, beaches, culture (ALL CARIBBEAN SUGGESTIONS)
- 9 Half Moon in Jamaica
- 10 ROMANTIC DINNER FOR VERY SPECIAL OCCASION- seeking advice
- 11 Aruba Beach Club - Eagle Beach
- 12 Just back from The Somerset
- 13 BodyHoliday, St. Lucia or other wellness spa recommendations?
- 14 Late October Honeymoon in the Caribbean
- 15 Advice needed: Caribbean island / beaches for small children/toddlers
- 16 Sandals Resorts
- 17 Falmouth, Jamaica that bad???
- 18 Where is the most romantic place for dinner in Bermuda?
- 19 Best place for two single girls in early 20s?!
- 20 Trip Report - Eastern Cuba 2006
- 21 Please help me decide to go to Cuba!
- 22 Cuba in 10 days
- 23 1st time to Caribbean/Turks & Caicos - suggestions
- 24 Turks/Caicos or Dominican Republic
- 25 Best Snorkeling near/in Punta Cana?