To those of you, esp. birders, who are thinking about going to Trinidad, by all means do so. I just returned from a birdwatching trip (done through Caligo Ventures, a fine company) at the Asa Wright Nature Centre (we did not go to Tobago), and it would take me a very long time to write a report for this incredibly awesome trip. "Awesome" is overused, I know, but I can't think of a better word. The Asa Wright (AW) center has a staff that is impressive in their cordiality, knowledge of the bird/plant life, and their concern for the well being of guests. The food was quite good. The accommodations were very good. If you are looking for luxury, don't go. The rooms are simple, very clean, and quite comfortable. Rather than bore those who are not birders, I will not go into any detail here. If anyone is interested in that aspect of the trip, email me: email@example.com I have nothing but the highest marks for my week at Asa Wright. We did not go into any towns, so I cannot speak to that. I did get advice from a citizen to be very careful of Port of Spain. American money is welcome and the exchange rate is $1 (US) to $6 (TT--Trinidad-Tobago money). Drivers drive in the British style and it can be daunting if one does not pay close attention. There are a lot of gas stations, but frequently they run out of gas, and long lines form. Gas is not self service as far as I could tell. The water, at least at Asa Wright, was perfectly safe to drink. The weather--we were there in the wet season--redefines humid. An umbrella is a must. The landscape is lush tropical--what a great week we had.
Asa Wright Nature Centre
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Multiple flights in Caribbean
- 2 Please help me decide to go to Cuba!
- 3 Rainforest Question: Better to do a Tour or go on your own?
- 4 Bahamas Resort
- 5 Need Help..Large group, wedding?
- 6 Which country?
- 7 Seeking general advice on one-to-two-month Caribbean villa rental
- 8 back to TCI, for 3rd time...
- 9 Antigua or St Martin
- 10 South Beach Hotel Barbados
- 11 Bequia or Virgin Gorda?
- 12 Is this Itinerary too ambitious???
- 13 A U.S. citizen's tour to Cuba
- 14 looking for rustic on the beach, north side
- 15 Planning possible retirement in USVI
- 16 St. Croix and sea grass
- 17 montego bay
- 18 Bermuda(I know it's not CB) or Turks
- 19 Better snorkeling - The Dominican Republic or Jamaica
- 20 Grocery Stores Near Sand Acres
- 21 Sailing Sabbatical Over -- Back from the Bahamas
- 22 BEWARE - St. Maarten Car Rental with Dollar/Thrifty Car Rental
- 23 St. Thomas Frenchman's Reef Marriot Resort - Need advice
- 24 My First Vacation Alone & First Vacation in 13 Years
- 25 Turtle Cove vs Grace Bay