To those of you, esp. birders, who are thinking about going to Trinidad, by all means do so. I just returned from a birdwatching trip (done through Caligo Ventures, a fine company) at the Asa Wright Nature Centre (we did not go to Tobago), and it would take me a very long time to write a report for this incredibly awesome trip. "Awesome" is overused, I know, but I can't think of a better word. The Asa Wright (AW) center has a staff that is impressive in their cordiality, knowledge of the bird/plant life, and their concern for the well being of guests. The food was quite good. The accommodations were very good. If you are looking for luxury, don't go. The rooms are simple, very clean, and quite comfortable. Rather than bore those who are not birders, I will not go into any detail here. If anyone is interested in that aspect of the trip, email me: firstname.lastname@example.org I have nothing but the highest marks for my week at Asa Wright. We did not go into any towns, so I cannot speak to that. I did get advice from a citizen to be very careful of Port of Spain. American money is welcome and the exchange rate is $1 (US) to $6 (TT--Trinidad-Tobago money). Drivers drive in the British style and it can be daunting if one does not pay close attention. There are a lot of gas stations, but frequently they run out of gas, and long lines form. Gas is not self service as far as I could tell. The water, at least at Asa Wright, was perfectly safe to drink. The weather--we were there in the wet season--redefines humid. An umbrella is a must. The landscape is lush tropical--what a great week we had.
Asa Wright Nature Centre
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Best island for nature + kids that is safe and affordable
- 2 Must sell vaca pkg for 4-star St. James's Club Antigua, $700
- 3 Bermuda visit in Sept. - 1st time
- 4 Help with choosing a Caribbean Island to visit in March
- 5 Anguilla stay?
- 6 A U.S. citizen's tour to Cuba
- 7 Cayman Islands in October
- 8 Back from San Juan
- 9 Cheapest AI Deals for couple in 20s
- 10 Kristen- where are you?????
- 11 It's Excellent in the Exumas ~ A week on Staniel Cay (+ Atlantis)
- 12 Please suggest uncrowded Caribbean vacation for wheelchair user
- 13 Blamona- need a SCYC report!!
- 14 Luxury golf vacation in November
- 15 50th BIRTHDAY Home for 4 Couples
- 16 Is it a waste to go to St. Johns during late September?
- 17 Puerto Rico
- 18 Puerto Plata vacations or other place of Dominican Republic
- 19 Cuba People to People Tours
- 20 TCI Regent Grand vs. Venetian
- 21 4 warnings for the non-seasoned, naïve tourist about to go to St Martin.
- 22 relaxed beaches in january
- 23 Are you the new future traveler?
- 24 Mosquitoes - where are they NOT?
- 25 Wanted: St. Lucia Jan - March studio rental?