To those of you, esp. birders, who are thinking about going to Trinidad, by all means do so. I just returned from a birdwatching trip (done through Caligo Ventures, a fine company) at the Asa Wright Nature Centre (we did not go to Tobago), and it would take me a very long time to write a report for this incredibly awesome trip. "Awesome" is overused, I know, but I can't think of a better word. The Asa Wright (AW) center has a staff that is impressive in their cordiality, knowledge of the bird/plant life, and their concern for the well being of guests. The food was quite good. The accommodations were very good. If you are looking for luxury, don't go. The rooms are simple, very clean, and quite comfortable. Rather than bore those who are not birders, I will not go into any detail here. If anyone is interested in that aspect of the trip, email me: firstname.lastname@example.org I have nothing but the highest marks for my week at Asa Wright. We did not go into any towns, so I cannot speak to that. I did get advice from a citizen to be very careful of Port of Spain. American money is welcome and the exchange rate is $1 (US) to $6 (TT--Trinidad-Tobago money). Drivers drive in the British style and it can be daunting if one does not pay close attention. There are a lot of gas stations, but frequently they run out of gas, and long lines form. Gas is not self service as far as I could tell. The water, at least at Asa Wright, was perfectly safe to drink. The weather--we were there in the wet season--redefines humid. An umbrella is a must. The landscape is lush tropical--what a great week we had.
Asa Wright Nature Centre
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Cuba Opening Up
- 2 Looking for deep sea fishing, beaches, culture (ALL CARIBBEAN SUGGESTIONS)
- 3 ROMANTIC DINNER FOR VERY SPECIAL OCCASION- seeking advice
- 4 Aruba Beach Club - Eagle Beach
- 5 Just back from The Somerset
- 6 BodyHoliday, St. Lucia or other wellness spa recommendations?
- 7 Late October Honeymoon in the Caribbean
- 8 Barbados/St. John/Turks/Puerto Rico/Curacao/
- 9 Advice needed: Caribbean island / beaches for small children/toddlers
- 10 Sandals Resorts
- 11 Falmouth, Jamaica that bad???
- 12 Where is the most romantic place for dinner in Bermuda?
- 13 Best place for two single girls in early 20s?!
- 14 Trip Report - Eastern Cuba 2006
- 15 Bahamas Out Islands OR Turks & Caicos for family of teens?!
- 16 Please help me decide to go to Cuba!
- 17 Cuba in 10 days
- 18 1st time to Caribbean/Turks & Caicos - suggestions
- 19 Turks/Caicos or Dominican Republic
- 20 Best Snorkeling near/in Punta Cana?
- 21 ISO recs for high-end and high-chair-friendly meals in St. Martin
- 22 Santo Domingo Day Trip from Punta Cana
- 23 Villa rental on St. John
- 24 Not impressed with Aruba, too touristy. Period. Are we out of luck?
- 25 Just back from St. Maarten