To those of you, esp. birders, who are thinking about going to Trinidad, by all means do so. I just returned from a birdwatching trip (done through Caligo Ventures, a fine company) at the Asa Wright Nature Centre (we did not go to Tobago), and it would take me a very long time to write a report for this incredibly awesome trip. "Awesome" is overused, I know, but I can't think of a better word. The Asa Wright (AW) center has a staff that is impressive in their cordiality, knowledge of the bird/plant life, and their concern for the well being of guests. The food was quite good. The accommodations were very good. If you are looking for luxury, don't go. The rooms are simple, very clean, and quite comfortable. Rather than bore those who are not birders, I will not go into any detail here. If anyone is interested in that aspect of the trip, email me: firstname.lastname@example.org I have nothing but the highest marks for my week at Asa Wright. We did not go into any towns, so I cannot speak to that. I did get advice from a citizen to be very careful of Port of Spain. American money is welcome and the exchange rate is $1 (US) to $6 (TT--Trinidad-Tobago money). Drivers drive in the British style and it can be daunting if one does not pay close attention. There are a lot of gas stations, but frequently they run out of gas, and long lines form. Gas is not self service as far as I could tell. The water, at least at Asa Wright, was perfectly safe to drink. The weather--we were there in the wet season--redefines humid. An umbrella is a must. The landscape is lush tropical--what a great week we had.
Asa Wright Nature Centre
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Guide to Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas
- 2 Best places for Honeymoon!!
- 3 Tipping at AI
- 4 First time visit to Turks & Caicos -- would love advice on the island!!
- 5 Having trouble finding nonstop flights from Boston
- 6 Traveling Solo
- 7 What happened to the Maho Bay Campground property on St. John?
- 8 A Volcanic Paradise
- 9 Best Singles Vacation 35-50 in Caribbean
- 10 Turks & Caicos - no kids
- 11 Anniversary Cruise Struggling with Excursions
- 12 Food at Cove Eleuthera
- 13 St. Kitts, the details
- 14 which Caribbean Islands don't have a big stray animal problem
- 15 Please help a beach vacation novice: Turks & Caicos vs. St. John vs. ...?
- 16 Vacation Review: Topic Follow-Up
- 17 Out islands of the Bahamas. Exumas? Abaco?
- 18 Out islands, Bahamas referral
- 19 Scrub Island vs Turks and Caicos
- 20 St. Thomas trip with 7 year old
- 21 Help me pick an island for my first Caribbean trip
- 22 8 TUFF MILES
- 23 Puerto Rico Nightlife?
- 24 1 week in San Juan
- 25 AI in Punta Cana, DR? Or nearby?