To those of you, esp. birders, who are thinking about going to Trinidad, by all means do so. I just returned from a birdwatching trip (done through Caligo Ventures, a fine company) at the Asa Wright Nature Centre (we did not go to Tobago), and it would take me a very long time to write a report for this incredibly awesome trip. "Awesome" is overused, I know, but I can't think of a better word. The Asa Wright (AW) center has a staff that is impressive in their cordiality, knowledge of the bird/plant life, and their concern for the well being of guests. The food was quite good. The accommodations were very good. If you are looking for luxury, don't go. The rooms are simple, very clean, and quite comfortable. Rather than bore those who are not birders, I will not go into any detail here. If anyone is interested in that aspect of the trip, email me: email@example.com I have nothing but the highest marks for my week at Asa Wright. We did not go into any towns, so I cannot speak to that. I did get advice from a citizen to be very careful of Port of Spain. American money is welcome and the exchange rate is $1 (US) to $6 (TT--Trinidad-Tobago money). Drivers drive in the British style and it can be daunting if one does not pay close attention. There are a lot of gas stations, but frequently they run out of gas, and long lines form. Gas is not self service as far as I could tell. The water, at least at Asa Wright, was perfectly safe to drink. The weather--we were there in the wet season--redefines humid. An umbrella is a must. The landscape is lush tropical--what a great week we had.
Asa Wright Nature Centre
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Antigua - First Trip - Which Beach and Which Bed ?
- 2 cheapest christmas airfare by destination
- 3 DIY Wedding for Two – Can I pull this off without a Wedding Planner?
- 4 Restaraunts & Rental Cars in Aruba
- 5 Lobster, Heat & Banged Up Feet - Another Awesome Exumas Adventure
- 6 Holiday Trip to the Caribbean - Need advice!
- 7 Aruba suggestions
- 8 Punta Cana Excursions with Teen
- 9 Fishermans Ree Resort
- 10 Dominican Republic - Closures, Limitations Over Easter Weekend
- 11 Van rental for 8 in Puerto Rico
- 12 Cuba in 10 days
- 13 Salt Kettle House to close
- 14 Best snorkeling in the Caribbean (not St. John or Grand Cayman)???
- 15 Hotel recommendations for 1 night on Tortola?
- 16 Best luxury resort on grace bay Turks and Caicos
- 17 7 days solo...Cuba or Puerto Rico, guys???
- 18 Ideas for Caribbean AI for anniversary next July?
- 19 Trinidad or Tobago?
- 20 Early November, Water Bungalows, Excellend Medical Facilities
- 21 Are there restaurants/grocery near Rum Point on Grand Cayman?
- 22 tourist opinion for trips to the Bahamas
- 23 Why Barbados?
- 24 Cayman Islands in October
- 25 Best/most luxurious Luxury resort on Grace bay