Hi all -
I'm new to this forum and am seeking the wisdom of all the posters out there.
My husband and I will be taking our first real family vacation (just us three) with our 22 month old son in early April. We desperately want to head to the Caribbean for some sun and beach fun.
I've been researching like crazy and am running into all the usual problems, high cost, bad trip advisor reviews, only giant resorts...etc. I need the help of experienced Caribbean travelers. Here is what we're looking for, any and all ideas welcome!
1. An island with calm beaches (st. martin looks amazing - but I've read too much about crime there. It may be the experience of only a few, but I lived in New Orleans for years and don't want to be worried about looking over my shoulder when I'm trying to keep my eye on the kid). What other Caribbean islands have the calm beaches that St.Martin has?
2. A hotel with direct access to one of these great beaches.
3. Not all inclusive (or option to not be all inclusive - breakfast at the hotel would be nice, but we like to get out and explore and meet people when in a new place).
4. Nice towns for dinner and shopping nearby.
5. Day trips to other beaches with activities would be a plus.
6. I'd prefer to spend less than $300.00/night - of course, less would be better - but everything I've been interested in seems to be in this price range. (not including plane fare).
7. Preferably a non-stop flight from NYC. Although a great option would be worth having to take a second plane or ferry.
I genuinely appreciate any help you can offer!!
April vacation with toddler, great beaches! Help, please.
Hi all -
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Cuba Opening Up
- 2 BodyHoliday, St. Lucia or other wellness spa recommendations?
- 3 Late October Honeymoon in the Caribbean
- 4 Barbados/St. John/Turks/Puerto Rico/Curacao/
- 5 Advice needed: Caribbean island / beaches for small children/toddlers
- 6 ROMANTIC DINNER FOR VERY SPECIAL OCCASION- seeking advice
- 7 Sandals Resorts
- 8 Falmouth, Jamaica that bad???
- 9 Where is the most romantic place for dinner in Bermuda?
- 10 Best place for two single girls in early 20s?!
- 11 Trip Report - Eastern Cuba 2006
- 12 Bahamas Out Islands OR Turks & Caicos for family of teens?!
- 13 Please help me decide to go to Cuba!
- 14 Cuba in 10 days
- 15 1st time to Caribbean/Turks & Caicos - suggestions
- 16 Turks/Caicos or Dominican Republic
- 17 Best Snorkeling near/in Punta Cana?
- 18 ISO recs for high-end and high-chair-friendly meals in St. Martin
- 19 Aruba Beach Club - Eagle Beach
- 20 Santo Domingo Day Trip from Punta Cana
- 21 Villa rental on St. John
- 22 Not impressed with Aruba, too touristy. Period. Are we out of luck?
- 23 Just back from St. Maarten
- 24 Villa Rental on St. John
- 25 Sandals Whitehouse